Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally I don't agree with the stance taken on the story, and the whole 'cyber bullying' thing is now an easy cop out for young idiots like yer one who make a tit of themselves in public and don't like it coming back to bite. It's a completely different kettle of fish to those girls in Donegal.

She's 16, gee eyed and half dressed shouting abuse at people. A reality check is just what she deserves, and given it's such a hot topic it should be catered for in some shape or form on Ireland's biggest discussion forum.

This complete censorship road is just an easy way of not having to deal with a few whingers who might complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Jelly 292 wrote: »
    Could not give a toss about the girl or what she done/said .

The point is the suppression of the video on multiple Irish websites.

This is why folks are annoyed. It speaks volumes about this country. It DOES look very odd.

What is wrong with the site wanting to have a bit of class?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Absolutezero

Extraordinary to see Boards implode. Apologies from mods, inconsistencies exposed... I wonder why? Rhetorical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mods would you agree with my previous statement that this is probably the swiftest and most total blackout of a story which has ever happened on Boards? Even the MCD thing took a long time before discussion of it was totally erased from the entire site, whereas in this case it was almost instant and has been absolutely total.

Again, I could be wrong, but it does strike me that this is literally the fastest and most comprehensive attempt to erase something from general discussion that I have ever seen on this website.
    Is that merely a mis-preception or is it in fact the case?

Barring this very long thread and a thread on AH that got too specific.

Just on the AH mods, since I joined a thread was set up specifically about the bullying issue and we are targeting it, I think there might even have been a thread about it here. Plus we have an active thread on the main page here discussing it.

I think it is fair to say that things have changed even from 6 months ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Extraordinary to see Boards implode. Apologies from mods, inconsistencies exposed... I wonder why? Rhetorical question.

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point and without the expectation of a reply.

Which means it's obvious, right?

I for one has missed the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Morag wrote: »

I like tight (ish) moderation and hate the you tube comments section.

This is totally different and you are deliberately missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Personally I don't agree with the stance taken on the story, and the whole 'cyber bullying' thing is now an easy cop out ...
    I can think of no other motive in posting that vid online than to humiliate the girl (while having no concern about collateral damage like causing major embarrassment to her family). It's not really relevant that she was drunk enough to make it easy for them.

The intentional humiliation of an individual constitutes bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

I can think of no other motive in posting that vid online than to humiliate the girl (while having no concern about collateral damage like causing major embarrassment to her family). It's not really relevant that she was drunk enough to make it easy for them.

But surely the verbal abuse she was dishing out was bullying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I think the point is that the site is "delicate" about its class.

Depends on who is involved. Pick and mix tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,171 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LizT wrote: »
    o/

I'm changing my avatar soon anyway but that girl recorded her own video and has participated in lots of public events since.

So that girl is ok with it what about others who maybe not be ok with it? Today should see all those MEME's removed containing pictures of real people on boards as it is a big sign of cyber bulling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

From what I have just read Devore, owns this site and started it. By himself.

He knows things.

Wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

With this specific scenario we have 2 wrongs being committed.

Wrong 1: The young lady in question clearly did something to rile the lads up in the pizza shop.

Wrong 2: The lads filming her and uploading the video online.

Now the question we find ourselves with is two fold, firstly do two wrongs make a right and secondly who was 'wronged' to the worst degree.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So that girl is ok with it what about others who maybe not be ok with it? Today should see all those MEME's removed containing pictures of real people on boards as it is a big sign of cyber bulling

C-. Needs more effort. Troll harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bennybeau wrote: »

So let's bully the bully...............

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

C-. Needs more effort. Troll harder.

Eh, he/she clearly wasn't trolling? I don't know where you're pulling that assumption from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I don't see that as bullying. I'm not saying she is a victim but she was drunk, don't know if the guys were or not, they were egging her on, maybe if she was sober she would not react like that.
    I'm not using drink as an excuse more as dutch courage really.

And class distinction, which as we know, is PC intolerant. She, has her fine cloths and beer on the misery of others,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

TheUsual wrote: »
    Seriously dude.
    Move on.

Move along, get along, GO MOVE, SHIFT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pithater1 wrote: »
    With this specific scenario we have 2 wrongs being committed.

Wrong 1: The young lady in question clearly did something to rile the lads up in the pizza shop.

Wrong 2: The lads filming her and uploading the video online.

Now the question we find ourselves with is two fold, firstly do two wrongs make a right and secondly who was 'wronged' to the worst degree.
    Did you see the video?

She was baited; she was drunk, and took the bait; she made a fool of herself and yes, she said unpleasant things. All this took place in a relatively confined environment. There are scores of such occurrences every weekend.

There was clearly an intention to trap her with the camera. Posting the video online was an escalation to a level that was well out of proportion to her stupid rant.

And, as I said before, I can see no other reason for posting it than to humiliate her.

This is not an implosion or explosion, there have been bigger storms in bigger cups over the years.

This place grows and evolves and there is no hand book on how to run one of the biggest collection of online communities in Ireland.

Yes mods do make mistakes they are human and it's important that they do offer apologies when it happens and learn from it. It is a good thing to see.

As for inconsistencies, again there is no hand book there are some differences in how the site rules are applied between forums and then there is the fact that what the rules are and how they are applied evolves.

From what the communities think is acceptable to what the laws are or how they change (Thanks Sherlock) and how much media and legal focus the site is currently under.

This week is a slow news week and there is a lot flying about in the media about cyberbullying , that has to be taken into consideration when calls are made.

There are things that people could get away with saying on this site 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 1 year ago, even 5 months ago which they won't do today.

Mods Cmods Admins and Staff responds as they see to be the best thing to do when something happens. Often times we don't have all information they do, or all the context and there is nothing wrong with asking for it but some of the mad conspiracies and toys out of prams about this is daft.

• Advertisement

Did you see the video?

She was baited; she was drunk, and took the bait; she made a fool of herself and yes, she said unpleasant things. All this took place in a relatively confined environment. There are scores of such occurrences every weekend.

There was clearly an intention to trap her with the camera. Posting the video online was an escalation to a level that was well out of proportion to her stupid rant.

And, as I said before, I can see no other reason for posting it than to humiliate her.

I don't think people give a sh1te about the video itself - just at the manner it was swept under the carpet.

People talk about a New Ireland. Real Republic and all that. But nothing changes. If you've got the money and the pull, there are better rules for you than the rest of us

Did you see the video?

She was baited;

Yes, I did see the video.

I took the impression that she was doing a Cecelia Ahern on the boys TBH.

PC CDROM wrote: »
    From what I have just read Devore, owns this site and started it. By himself.

He knows things.

Wait......

No he didn't himself and Dr John Breslin started the site, but it was bought by Distilled media around two years ago. So really he is not the final word and the site can't grind to a halt while we wait for him to descend from a mountain.

Two boards employees who are paid to deal with this sort of thing and the legal ramifications and site policy Dav and Nicola have already posted and that should be authority enough for anyone.

This is not an explosion,

You got that right. The poster never said that. So?

There are things that people could get away with saying on this site 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 1 year ago, even 5 months ago which they won't do today.

Yes, but the closest recent example was of the Cork girls. The thread was locked after these other ones were deleted and then only after it was pointed out here.

The thread was locked but the posts were left there for perpetuity. Left to float to the bottom of the thread pile but accessible forever via boards.ie search or google search. The action of locking that thread came after the deletions. Not 10 years ago. Not 5 years ago or even 1 months ago. After . Yet not deleted.

Edit: It's worth asking whether this is a one off or a change in boards policy to delete any future threads where an individual could become upset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I cant see this going away any time soon... I do feel a bit sorry for the girl

Its back on you tube with a Gangham paradoy up already!

Ah Heyore, Leave it Ou...

yore wrote: »
    Yes, but the closest recent example was of the Cork girls. The thread was locked after these other ones were deleted and then only after it was pointed out here.

The thread was locked but the posts were left there for perpetuity. Left to float to the bottom of the thread pile but accessible forever via boards.ie search or google search. The action of locking that thread came after the deletions. Not 10 years ago. Not 5 years ago or even 1 months ago. After . Yet not deleted.

And I am sure that will get looked and mods questioned and adjustments made.
    Like the Community Manager said, it's his weekend, he will be back in the office Monday and will look at it.

By the way did you report posts in that thread?
    Did you pm mods about it?
    Did you pm cmods about it?
    Did you pm admins about it?

Cos that is what you should to to raise an issue.

And I am sure that will get looked and mods questioned and adjustments made.
    Like the Community Manager said, it's his weekend, he will be back in the office Monday and will look at it.

By the way did you report posts in that thread?
    Did you pm mods about it?
    Did you pm cmods about it?
    Did you pm admins about it?

Cos that is what you should to to raise an issue.

No, but you are trying to change the issue. Some of the mods have apparently feigned ignorance of that thread despite the fact it was reported on in the wider media and was apparently on the from of the AH forum for a long time. You will likely find that I did not post on that thread and in fact only looked at it earlier today due it being mentioned here! I don't read all the threads. But I'm not a mod!

This topic got special treatment because of who was involved. Or their connections.

How would you feel if a controversial thread about a politician got pulled because he was friends with an admin but another equally controversial one was left because the politician in that one hadn't got the same pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

KPMG girl is on youtube for all the world to see in all her drunken glory complete with her name.Maybe her dad should get her a job on low wages in Mcdonalds or similar to take her down a peg or two.If she keeps talking to people like that someone is going to kick her to a pulp.No doubt if that happened the media would be full of crap about what a nice person she was and how she was battered "for nothing".

• Advertisement

No, but you are trying to change the issue. Some of the mods have apparently feigned ignorance of that thread despite the fact it was reported on in the wider media and was apparently on the from of the AH forum for a long time. You will likely find that I did not post on that thread and in fact only looked at it earlier today due it being mentioned here! I don't read all the threads. But I'm not a mod!

I am not trying to change the issue at all.

Mods don't read all the threads in the forums they mod, esp the bigger forums, it is up to memebers to report posts and if a memeber doesn't think the best action has been taken then they can contact the Cmod and then the Admin that's the process.
    This topic got special treatment because of who was involved. Or their connections.

Nah it was a hot topic nationally so there was a level of awareness of it which meant when it hit here it got actioned quicker then other things do.

In Dav's post he mentioned he heard about it in the office, it was doing the rounds so there was a heads up and a decision made. That's what it is.
    Some times something will crop up on a quieter part of the site and may go unnoticed until a member flags it or instead of going to the cmods/admins comes here and starts a thread.

How would you feel if a controversial thread about a politician got pulled because he was friends with an admin but another equally controversial one was left because the politician in that one hadn't got the same pull?

There is a process that anyone who wants to can used to raise issues and flag posts/threads which are not on, doesn't matter who they are or who they know, there is a process and it works.

As for the over all fact that in our society you can often get the justice you can afford, well that's life, it's not fair, it's not equal. If you can afford to push and take a case all the way to the high court then being able to do that give a person more clout then those who can not.

It's a fact of life an unpleasant one but it is a fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement