Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

yore wrote: »
    I already talked to a Mod directly on thread about it. They said that that case was different in some way. Which is why it was locked today and not deleted. Perhaps another policy evolution since yesterdays "delete" policy ;)

honestly if you want to know more or want more over sight or a better explanation contact the cmods or an admin about it. That how you find out more and apply pressure correctly.

gbee wrote: »
    I did. And your reply hosted no apology,

Be aware that you can be drawn before a court of law, be aware that a minor is the subject of the thread, and be aware that you accused her of sin.

And be aware that I called you on it.

You're aware I was defending the kid surely? And that I don't apologise for that?

Actually forget it, I can't be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Sitec wrote: »
    I found the video, what an anticlimax, this happens all over the country.
    Can't believe it's causing such commotion, who gives a sh1t about what some D4 young one thinks, bigger problems in our county than this drunk teenager in fairness.

Amen.
    Now spread the word brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

brokenarms wrote: »
    Have you ever considered they may be acting on good taste :eek:

Good taste. I would have thought that would be a basic thang.

Yes. And if they wanted to do it for that reason then that's fine.

But there are lots of other equally as distasteful threads. That's the point.

Why does this one get better rules?

It's a stupid video. Even if it had been sent to me and I'd never seen it on boards I might have looked at it and forgotten about it.

But when there's a sticky warning and rapid fire posts appearing on the front page of boards relating to the feedback forum, I'm going to have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:confused:

Are you being serious in that you don't seem to understand the point or are you trolling?

Do you think people are writing here because they can't "witness more pain". There's no problem finding this video online. Not having it on boards doesn't stop me watching or downloading it. Having it banned on boards made me go and look to see what the fuss was about though

Yet you are making an issue of the Cork girls thread?

This is looking more about issues you have with AH moderators, not anything about the issue itself.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

TheUsual wrote: »
    Amen.
    Now spread the word brother.

So would you have been in favour of just letting it run it's course?

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but the act of hiding it makes it bigger.

If the stuff hadn't been deleted it might have been down on page 4 or 5 of AH now and forgotten about.

Instead of hitting the Sindo tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It's a valid point. Why should this video be pulled while scumbag Steve and various other memes are fair game not to mention all the other videos out there where people make fools of themselves (star wars kid, gingers have souls etc.)?

I haven't read the thread. Too long. Short attention span.

Oh look a squirrel! Weeeeee

But I agree with AC's post.

Girl gets drunk, possibly a minor, makes a tit of her self, goes on internet, so be it.
    She won't do that again

K-9 wrote: »
    Yet you are making an issue of the Cork girls thread?

This is looking more about issues you have with AH moderators, not anything about the issue itself.

No. The Cork girls thread provides a counterpoint to this issue.

As I said, I hadn't looked at that thread until a poster mentioned it on here earlier and an AH mod then said (s)he had just locked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Candie wrote: »
    You're aware I was defending the kid surely? And that I don't apologise for that?

Actually forget it, I can't be bothered.

See, no. You can't defend the goat's offspring, as you put it, by accusing her of sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

So would you have been in favour of just letting it run it's course?

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but the act of hiding it makes it bigger.

If the stuff hadn't been deleted it might have been down on page 4 or 5 of AH now and forgotten about.

Instead of hitting the Sindo tomorrow!

Jesus, the remixes have started.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

amazed people are so surprised at the mods. its a long time since boards was anything more than a community notice board

See, no. You can't defend the goat's offspring, as you put it, by accusing her of sin.

Once again, I've accused her of nothing. Once again, I've defended her for being underage and drunk and ranting and all the things other people do but don't wind up humiliated on the internet for doing. Once again, I've used a turn of phrase to describe what is annoying people about her. Once again you're inferring something that isn't implied. Once again you refuse to accept that your interpretation of my post is wrong, despite my explaining it to you, again.

And onto ignore you go.

More into this I get, TBH, as a sixty year old male, she has more spunk than I ever had, despite what I might have said in the thread.

Whazup Utube

No. The Cork girls thread provides a counterpoint to this issue.

As I said, I hadn't looked at that thread until a poster mentioned it on here earlier and an AH mod then said (s)he had just locked it

Yep and I pointed how things have changed in 6 months, AH had its own mini controversy about an aspect of bullying of site members. Policy has changed and things that might have been acceptable 6 months or a year ago are no longer so.

If posters expect total consistently that means they expect things to remain the same, it's why I amn't a fan of the "mods must be consistent" line. Nope, then we'd be a monolith, we have to react to things as they happen as well, not an easy thing to do. Things have changed with bullying over the last 6 months, even before the 2 girls committed suicide from my sons school.

We had a thread complaining about bullying in AH, another one in feedback and we had a thread discussing the general issue on the main page, one click back. That has affected thinking, otherwise we wouldn't be taking on user feedback, a rather important thing to do.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

FoxT wrote: »
    OK...almost 700 posts later....

Has anything been achieved?
    Any conclusions?

Yes we have achieved something. We now know that there is no over riding policy on what is allowed for discussion and what is not. Well we do, apparently we are not allowed to discuss things that are "cans of worms" or things that "no good can come from". Standards like this (I use the word standards in a very loose sense) are impossible to provide meaningful guidance on

We've also had an explanation of sorts as to why the thread was removed - but of course we haven't been given a decent reason as to why the same standards were not applied to similar threads. The explanation for the total outright ban and the speed with which it was enacted was pretty woolly though.

We've also gotten an admission that moderators didn't notice the potential harm in the Cork Schoolgirl thread, this was despite national attention in both the written and televisual media. We've also gotten an admission of sorts that this issue has been handled badly by the site staff/moderators (If I've read the posts correctly).

This thread though has failed to deal with the apparent double standard in moderation, and we have yet to get guidelines on what is acceptable or even that guidelines will be forthcoming. The reality is that any thread that involves a story about people could descend into bullying if allowed to go unchecked. Personally I would like to see lighter but less arbitrary regulation (particularly in the forums where you get current affairs stories) as much of the moderation is now stifling discussion, rather than guiding it or protecting the site or other users from harm.

Will there be any real change after this? I hope so but I doubt it. It was heartening to see different opinions from the different site section mods but those that are in charge of AH do seem to be all of the same opinion unfortunately -If it has the potential to cause problems close down the discussion.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but something needs to change in order to stop the hemorrhaging of good contributers, many of whom have closed their accounts in recent months.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Yep and I pointed how things have changed in 6 months, AH had its own mini controversy about an aspect of bullying of site members. Policy has changed and things that might have been acceptable 6 months or a year ago are no longer so.

If posters expect total consistently that means they expect things to remain the same, it's why I amn't a fan of the "mods must be consistent" line. Nope, then we'd be a monolith, we have to react to things as they happen as well, not an easy thing to do. Things have changed with bullying over the last 6 months, even before the 2 girls committed suicide from my sons school.

We had a thread complaining about bullying in AH, another one in feedback and we had a thread discussing the general issue on the main page, one click back. That has affected thinking, otherwise we wouldn't be taking on user feedback, a rather important thing to do.

Just so you know, that Cork thread was only 3 months ago. And just about the feedback - it sometimes just seems that users get fed the old line "we'll take your comments on board" only to be roundly ignored and things continue on the same with just a veneer of change.

plus ça change...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's a valid point. Why should this video be pulled while scumbag Steve and various other memes are fair game not to mention all the other videos out there where people make fools of themselves (star wars kid, gingers have souls etc.)?

It's not a valid point at all. At least, not the way he put it. Banning memes from a an Internet message board? Seriously? Pull the other one.

Do you get off on twisting people's words? This isn't en ecumenical matter. The word "sin" doesn't always have to be read in the biblical sense. Cop on.
    Itsdacraic wrote: »
    amazed people are so surprised at the mods. its a long time since boards was anything more than a community notice board

And yet you're still here...

It is important to say that this girl has committed no sin.

Despite what a couple of posters may have implied. Sin has noting to do with this girl. In fact I wish she was my daughter. You need to see it a couple or five times, she's brilliant and I'd be proud if her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

It is important to say that this girl has committed no sin.

Despite what a couple of posters may have implied. Sin has noting to do with this girl. In fact I wish she was my daughter. You need to see it a couple or five times, she's brilliant and I'd be proud if her.

What are you harping on about sin for?
    what part of her behavior are you proud of?? Hard to make sense of your posts.

This is almost a parody of worthless topics of discussion.

This just in:

Drunk teenager says something stupid.

Teenagers from every social class have been shown on YouTube being drunk and stupid. Why the excitement over this one? This girl represents nothing and nobody, barely even represents herself. A non issue if ever there was one.

Sacramento wrote: »
    This is almost a parody of worthless topics of discussion.

This just in:

Drunk teenager says something stupid.

Teenagers from every social class have been shown on YouTube being drunk and stupid. Why the excitement over this one? This girl represents nothing and nobody, barely even represents herself. A non issue if ever there was one.

Join the line of folks whom have completely missed the point

• Advertisement

Will there be any real change after this? I hope so but I doubt it. It was heartening to see different opinions from the different site section mods but those that are in charge of AH do seem to be all of the same opinion unfortunately -If it has the potential to cause problems close down the discussion.

You raise decent points but just on this yet again, yes we thought no good would come of this, the reason given for the initial thread lock, that was proven correct by the over night thread, personal details and abuse.

We called it 100% correctly, you didn't have to read the comments.

Jelly 292 wrote: »
    What are you harping on about sin for? .

Another poster said for her sins.

I objected. Strongly.

Another poster said for her sins.

I objected. Strongly.

Fair enough, this is mad enough without biblical stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

What's all the ranting about ?

Never mind i just found the video

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not a valid point at all. At least, not the way he put it. Banning memes from a an Internet message board? Seriously? Pull the other one.

Well, the video we're discussing is itself a meme.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well, the video we're discussing is itself a meme.

It is now. It wasn't, 24+ hours ago, when the trouble started.

It actually reminds me a bit of the "You done goofed/back-trace" meme at this stage though.

It actually reminds me a bit of the "You done goofed/back-trace" meme at this stage though.

Fair point, they say a week is a long time in politics! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I think this shows how fast things can spread on the Internet . It has several thousand views on a certain website and numerous you tube videos about it . It's also trending on social media sites .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I think this shows how fast things can spread on the Internet . It has several thousand views on a certain website and numerous you tube videos about it . It's also trending on social media sites .

True. I think Joe.ie was the first place I saw it, and that would have been relatively early on in the day. Plenty of others would have shared it on Facebook as well. It's not just a "Boards thing".

I fear I'm starting to take it all too seriously. Will check in on this thread again after work tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

True. I think Joe.ie was the first place I saw it, and that would have been relatively early on in the day. Plenty of others would have shared it on Facebook as well. It's not just a "Boards thing".

I fear I'm starting to take it all too seriously. Will check in on this thread again after work tomorrow.

If boards.ie is true to boards.ie form it will almost certainly be locked by then.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement