Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What, after 430 odd posts?:confused:

I don't remember the thread at all and don't know if I've even seen it before. When there's something objectionable in a thread, users can report it to being it to a mods attention and we can action it. If it's not brought to our attention, then it's hard to keep an eye on every single post.

That particular thread doesn't even seem to have much wrong with it for the most part. A few off-colour jokes that some seem to enjoy, though myself, I'd probably have done something about them if they were reported. A few posts had been deleted, but on the whole it's a different kettle of fish to a video that's being used to make fun of a a drunk girl. I'm not mad on the idea of having either of them on the site, but hey, I guess we can only take these on a case by case basis as they're brought to our attention.
    GRMA wrote: »
    This is ridiculous, the video is not defamatory, how on earth could it be? Why say it is and treat us like idiots?

You clearly don't know Ireland's defamation laws. You can sue for any perceived slight and there's a good chance you'll win. Why should someone elses site cater for your feelings of entitlement?
    jonsnow wrote: »
    Solicitors could probably seek a defamatory injunction on the basis of that video but IMHO it would never stand up at a hearing.Although that is still probably more hassle than boards wants

They don't need to win. That's the problem. Boards isn't an endless font of money to be thrown at every legal challenge. People here have the choice between a site that's cautious or no site, and they seem to want no site.
    But......why was the ah here leave ih out, video posted no problem, showing people actually getting beaten up on the streets of Dublin?

Class divisions, class divisions, people with more power do not have their videos posted on these sites, at least be honest about it.

Is it because her Dad is from KPMG? (Potential legal action)
    The leave it out video is quite different in content. It wasn't two guys goading and taking advantage of a drunk girl who made a fool of herself. As for the legal action, as has been said many times, it's not the only reason, but it's a bloody major one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jonsnow wrote: »
    How are they fundamentally different.Vulnerable young teens captured on camera phones, posted to the internet and become a social media sensation.If anything the cork girls fight was even worse as they girls were doing more than just mouthing off and the fight actually became a national news story.

Now if the thread has been locked quicker this time round because lessons have been learned in the last few months then that is great but I call bull**** on the threads being completely different.

Sorry, it appears the video you are talking about was different. There is now two separate videos of school girls beating the pulp out of each other. The video is gone it seems, so I can't comment on the differences.
    yore wrote: »
    Really?

So those other cases needed an injunction....but this one didn't :confused:

Must be nice to have money! I wonder if any of the Boards hierarchy have links to the people involved.

The gas thing is that I'd have never put any pass on the video if I hadn't seen the Taliban-esque censorship. The video is cr*p; I only watched it because I thought there must be something "explosive" in it. You're making an issue out of a non-issue

As I said, the mods wouldn't have known about the KPMG connection (heck, even I didn't and I am here a good while). Its not something that affects mods. Likewise, they made the call based on their own judgement and were not instructed by anybody to take it down.

The Boards.ie 'hierarchy' have shown in the past that they do the right thing and won't be forced into anything unless their is due cause to do so.

If it was me, I would have done the same. The type of video was ALWAYS going to create a type of discussion that was very uncomfortable and crossed into the 'dangerous' territory. Looking at comments under the video online, it does indeed do just that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

MarkMc wrote: »
    Its a 16 year old girl, who was drunk and said stupid things. She has now become the victim of what I would call cyber bullying.

Its a legal minefield, best avoided. Cut the girl some slack, we've all said stupid things

personally i dont think she deserves a free pass because of being drunk,under age or whatever.

she had no bother flapping her lip on front of all and sundry and in my eyes bullying those who she saw as lesser then her.

if she was a fella she would have got a slap in the mouth and thats for sure.

some people get aggressive when drunk.
    some peope get flirtatious
    some get a happy buzz.

she obviously turns into an asshole.

she is what she is.

a vacuous walking dollar sign

i differentiate between some young girl being harrassed over her looks or sexual orientation online and some knob end who brought it on herself.

its not cyber bullying.its cyber retribution.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Personally I think the girl is the bully and she has been exposed as what she is.

If it was some lad from tallaght doing similar I reckon it would have stayed up

But if the owners dont want it on the site then thats it I guess, I just wish we wouldnt be treated like we were stupid

The original video said she came in shoeless and started eating scraps off the table.

Do you honestly think she went on that rant unprovoked or do you think the guys passed comment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

g'em wrote: »
    There are a million different sites on the internet where users are free to post whatever they want. The web is awash with vitriol, spite, abuse, bullying and general nastiness. Boards is different, and we've worked hard to make it that way. By we I mean everyone from users to HQ - we don't want to be the new 4chan or askfm, if the video is hosted elsewhere then discuss it on those sites.

Again I'm amazed at the minority who so vehemently defend their perceived right to be offensive or have a go at someone else on the internet. Be my guest and do it somewhere else, but we do not, and will not, be party to making this individual's life more difficult than it has just become in the last 24 hours.

But why did you let people post the video of the 'rougher woman shouting abuse at people on the train?

Can you clearly lay out the reasons as to why you allowed one and not the other?

People are annoyed not because they want to harrass this girl online, but by what alot of us see as blatant blanket bans and censorship by money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Higher wrote: »
    [/B]

LOL. Sorry to ruin the narrative but the guy filming is also middle to upper class from his accent.

I was talking about the guy from my hypothetical example. LOLOLOL
    Glad you got a laugh out of it though.

What a hilarious misunderstanding.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ANXIOUS, I see you tried your best to name and shame the girl.

Why would you do something like this? Do you know her and have some sort of grudge against her that you would like to see her named?

<snip>

Any more personal attacks on other posters like this and I'll be banning people from Feedback. There will be no further warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Again, I actually agree that this shouldn't be allowed to destroy this girl, however, plenty of similar videos happen all the time and none of them have ever been met with quite such a ferocious clampdown as this one. That's what makes me suspect some sort of shenanigans involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This reminds me of that stabbing incident in Bray from a few years ago. Threads were closed left right & center and people demanded that others show respect to the culprit just because he came from a middle class background. There was even a big deal made in the media at the time with commentators saying that it wasn't a knife crime, just a tragic incident. Boards can say that there's not a double standard until their blue in the face, but it's obvious to anyone reading threads that there is. Of course it's a societal thing rather than something exclusive to Boards or the wider internet.

Look at that thread about the IRA fella gunned down in Dublin recently. It was full of people saying that they were glad it happened, and that they didn't care about the family he left behind. Yet iirc correctly people were actually warned and banned for calling the Bray guy a scumbag after he stabbed two people and killed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

In my time in AH I cant remember an ordinary child being witch hunted like this. Boards cant have a hand in that.

In fairness the two 14/15 year old kids in Cork that kicked lumps out of each other were called every name under the sun in AH and that thread went on forever.

Why wasn't that closed down? Whats the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Can you not see the difference? The kid in question was engaging in criminal behaviour hitting innocent people with an umbrella until a guy responded in self-defence.

In this case, the girl was being slagged for being shoeless and eating scraps off the table and in her drunken state went on a massive rant that could potentially damage her career prospects for life. She didn't commit any crime except being provoked.

On top of that, the girl can be clearly identified and has received death threats and has had to close linkedins, twitter and facebook accounts. Ditto for her sister and father.

HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I don't agree with you at all. We dont know what happened before the video started rolling in the scobie video. I think you are coming at this with rose tinted glasses. The girl made a mistake and I think people should use a situation to build character, if it had of been allowed die naturally it'd be gone now.

I can hand on heart say that if this didn't go viral this girl would be insulting someone else tonight. That wasn't the first time she's done something like that. For a poet she has a great way with words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Feel free to start a blog and discuss what you wish. Or head to any othet site where discussions are on going.

AH will not be used as a place to flame a viral/ cyber bully attack.
    but you have pre-judged all of us before we have posted.

where as we have evidence that SHE is infact the bully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

pithater1 wrote: »
    Time to play Devils Advocate...

I'm sure we all remember the 'Ah Heor' video that emerged from Talbot Street last spring.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, should we have been able to talk about that incident here?

Broadly similar incidents with the main exception being that the individuals involved would be of a lower socio-economic class than the individual featured in the current video.

With the Ah Here video, the lads that got a hiding aren't really identifiable. Maybe identifiable to those that know them, but somehow I think they were able to go about their every day business without being pointed and laughed at by joe public.

This reminds me of that stabbing incident in Bray from a few years ago. Threads were closed left right & center and people demanded that others show respect to the culprit just because he came from a middle class background. There was even a big deal made in the media at the time with commentators saying that it wasn't a knife crime, just a tragic incident. Boards can say that there's not a double standard until their blue in the face, but it's obvious to anyone reading threads that there is. Of course it's a societal thing rather than something exclusive to Boards or the wider internet.

Look at that thread about the IRA fella gunned down in Dublin recently. It was full of people saying that they were glad it happened, and that they didn't care about the family he left behind. Yet iirc correctly people were actually warned and banned for calling the Bray guy a scumbag after he stabbed 2 people.

hmmm how is a mentally ill man stabbing a number of innocent people and commiting suicide comparable to a known IRA criminal and drug dealer being shot dead by a gangster?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I never said it was? He asked why it went viral on the net, which is bigger than boards. And because daddy kept getting it removed from youtube etc it made it a bigger deal

Why are you presuming he did? Maybe concerned individuals did, one poster here said they reported it on youtube, we got several reported pots. I think you are being presumptuous because of who he is.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

K-9 wrote: »
    Posters have been told several times that this isn't the case with Boards but it keeps getting repeated, suppose that's the internet for you.

Of course it's the case with boards. You're engaging in Jesuitical speaking. Whether the father has threatened legal action or not it has been analysed that he posed a legal threat as he has the capacity to pursue legal action. There are loads of threads that pose the same legal threat to boards, however they don't pose the same threat of legal action.
    humanji wrote: »
    As one of the reasons. Don't forget that. I know it may be implausible to some, but there really is more than one reason for it. The legal one is the most important to the site as it can result in the entire thing being shut down.

hmmm how is a mentally ill man stabbing a number of innocent people and commiting suicide comparable to a known IRA criminal and drug dealer being shot dead by a gangster?

How is that comparable?

How is it not comparable? Both men died, and the only people likely to see the comments made by posters are innocent family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No, he didn't. There was no real attempt to name and shame

There was. He posted a photo of her with her name on it.

Sorry Zaph. I should have said ANXIOUS's posts are very very nasty, I know teen do horrible things to each other and I reckon ANXIOUS knows her or has a grudge against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,491 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there anyone posting on here who, if they had a good, responsible, high-profile job, found themselves and their company being named in an eejity teenage rant wouldn't do something to stop it?

KPMG are completely innocent in this, its not as though it was a passing reference, she shouted it dozens of times. The arguments for leaving the video up are as much to do with begrudgery and voyeurism as anything, the righteous bleeting about censorship is nonsense.

K-9 wrote: »
    Why are you presuming he did? Maybe concerned individuals did, one poster here said they reported it on youtube, we got several reported pots. I think you are being presumptuous because of who he is.

It's not just that. I've been using the internet since 1996 and never in my entire life have I seen something like this so swiftly and efficiently censored from mainstream discussion. Never. It's not just on Boards, btw.

It seems very obvious to me that there's something going on behind the scenes. YouTube mods must be on red alert, as no copy of the vid lasts more than about 20 minutes, for example.

Now as I say, it's the context you have to look at. Out of hundreds of similar viral videos, none has ever been met with such a massive attempt at expunging it from general conversation - not in Ireland anyway - and that's what makes people suspect that it's something more than just your average bog standard community reporting / moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ANXIOUS, I see you tried your best to name and shame the girl.

Why would you do something like this? Do you know her and have some sort of grudge against her that you would like to see her named?

I think your a nasty little piece of work.

Firstly I didn't try and name her if I wanted to I'd put it all over my twitter account. I don't care if she is named, what I do care about is that without seeing the results of her actions she will feel this behaviour is acceptable.

Secondly can you please edit your comment. I feel you have defamied me, my boss knows my user name and I feel calling me a nasty piece of work will harm future career progression.

How is it not comparable? Both men died, and the only people likely to see the comments made by posters are innocent family members.

Because someone shouldn't be abused for being mentally ill and suicidal. Its a serious problem in this country and something that was extraordinarily tragic.

However I've no qualms with people having a go at someone who was a career criminal and killed as a direct result of his activities. Live by the sword die by the sword and all that.

I doubt the guy from Bray chose to become mentally ill and depressed to the extent that he did what he did. I doubt Ryan chose to be assisinated but he certainly knew the risks and proceeded with his choices anyway.

Want to add one other fairly ironic thing: I actually agree that the video is in very bad taste, and I wouldn't be in any way defending it if I didn't so strongly suspect a massive injustice in its cover up versus the survival of most other similar memes. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I don't know why this is getting so much attention.
    Someone got drunk and said things they probably regret.
    I have not seen the video and I don't want to.

Must have been a slow week if this is the most controversial thing people can find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

LizT wrote: »
    Samantha brick put herself in the public eye by writing a series of controversial articles. Not saying she's fair game or anything but the circumstances are very different.

I see you haven't responded to the 'why was the Cork School girls video allowed'

Those girls:

Were underage
    Did not put themselves in the public eye.

I was actually shocked that a video showing underage girls fighting was allowed up.

Can you clarify why that was allowed up and this wasn't, please?

I was

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pancakes24

the amount of times ive heard similar provacitive rants from drunken snobs or otherwise is unreal. its about time this girl got her come upins. if she wasnt wealthy or she was from a disadvantaged area there would be none of this bullsh** support for her people would be calling her a scumbag and laughing! she proved herself to be stupid, ignorant and obnoxcious. she deservers to be ashamed if it wasnt recorded shed wake up without a care in the world!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

/Unfollow thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

MugMugs wrote: »
    And once again Boards won't permit discussion on a video others are hosting and discussing.

So what if she was drunk and underage? She was in the public eye and as such is fair game. I'm not condoning people bullying her but I don't see why Boards members once again can't discuss this matter on Boards.ie

+1

The Mods' heavy-handed, sneaky-sneaky approach to this matter is the very reason why I am spending less and less time on Boards and more on Reddit.

And before anyone says it - don't worry I won't let the door hit me on the way out:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Only took 260 posts for posters to be called begrudgers

It was just a matter of time

• Advertisement

I doubt the guy from Bray chose to become mentally ill and depressed to the extent that he did what he did. I doubt Ryan chose to be assisinated but he certainly knew the risks and proceeded with his choices anyway.

He chose to stab a number of people before taking his own life. And the investigation showed it was calculated and pre-planned. But anyway, my point was about the people left behind reading vile comments about their bereaved, not the bereaved themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement