Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Blu Ray player to LED tv via optical cable question

• 05-01-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Can you please help me ?

I've tried to connect my blu ray player to my tv but the tv doesn't seem to find the connection.

I guess I'm supposed to be able to use this instead of a hdmi connection? The hdmi socket in the blue ray player seems to have a problem.

So should I just be able to plug and play this optical cable ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The optical cable is for audio only - no video (picture) available at this port. For video and audio you need the HDMI cable.

What's the problem with the HDMI socket ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks. Prob is with the actual socket on the blu ray player at the hdmi socket. Might need to replace it.

Is it difficult? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How badly damaged is it ? Can you post a photo of the socket ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ZENER wrote: »
    How badly damaged is it ? Can you post a photo of the socket ?

Ken

Will try, it looks like one of the copper connections has bent back, it works fine but need to jiggle it about to get the interference off the tv. It does still work though but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most TVs will only accept audio input via HDMI or SCART cables, the optical port on the TV is almost certainly output only so it's simply ignoring the signal coming from the Blu-Ray player.

The optical port on the Blu-Ray is intended to allow you to send the audio direct to an AV Amplifier, not to send the sound straight to the TV which is what the HDMI cable will do if you can get it working.

If the Blu-Ray has component video out ports, you could try them, they will give almost as good a picture as a HDMI connection if the TV has component video in ports but you'll still have the problem getting the sound without an amplifier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement