Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iconic Mountains of Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Djouce is a big hit for Dublin & Wicklow and adjoining counties. Great views.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

That is supposed to be a great walk and one on my list to do. I have the Art O'Neill tomorrow night though so just need to get through that first ;-)

Best of luck with the Art, I really need to give it a go some year!

mattser wrote: »
    Djouce is a big hit for Dublin & Wicklow and adjoining counties. Great views.

Yep, views from Djouce are top notch alright. I'm planning on include the Great Sugarloaf in the series of articles. Wondering what other Wicklow Mountains might be seen as iconic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

I have not walked every mountain in Ireland. I've been on Croagh Patrick 3 times but bumped my head on the door of the church every time, because I couldn't see a yard in front. Great view I believe.
    But I have had a clear view from the highest of the 4 provinces, and Mweelrea gets the nod. Mountains, Fjord, Atlantic Ocean, and Land. A tough sonofabitch from the strand, but a sublime view on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Yep, views from Djouce are top notch alright. I'm planning on include the Great Sugarloaf in the series of articles. Wondering what other Wicklow Mountains might be seen as iconic?
    I'd say Lugnaquilla, Djouce, Derrybawn, Tonlagee, Lugalla. Kippure in 'iconic' in the Dublin mountains, but it's a pain to climb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

+1 on Tonelegee in that, while it's nothing special to look at from a distance, the 'heart-shaped-lake'* view and access are a hidden gem

(*Could be promoted as a Valentine's day trip, approaching from the west, if one partner of a pair haven't see it before. Having said that, I'm cringing a bit now :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

(*Could be promoted as a Valentine's day trip, approaching from the west, if one partner of a pair haven't see it before. Having said that, I'm cringing a bit now :P)
    "Let's finish off the perfect day darling by exploring this Barnacullian place" should put an end to that sort of carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember meeting an English couple on holiday at the top of the Glenmacnass river who had obviously consulted a map/guidebook and decided that a traipse across the Barnacullian ridge in the mist and murk and rain in the depths of mid winter would be a wonderful idea. I tried to persuade them to follow me, by walking along the eastern edge rather than straight across the middle, but they insisted. I often wonder what happened to them ... :)

Added another article for anyone who might be interested. It's on Slievemore on Achill Island, a beautiful mountain perched on the edge of the Atlantic. Really fell in love with this area when down there late last summer.

http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/walking-irelands-iconic-mountains-number-4-slievemore/

Advertisement