Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good quality dog treats?

• 05-01-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

Could anyone reccommend a good treat i could use for my dog (10 month old Bichon)

He has a sensitive stomach and needs a strict diet. He currently eats Burns mini bites as his main food. Maybe couple times a week i'll give him some boiled chicken and rice. This all seems to suit him well.

I'd like to give him occasional treats/dog biscuits as a reward for good behaviour, etc. I had given him Pedigree Mini Markies that i just picked up in the supermarket but realise these may not be the best and was wondering if there was something more healthy/natural out there that i could give a go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

My puppy actually seems to be ok, but I prefer to buy good quality treats..
    I've tried "burgess sensitive premium hypoallergenic" found in the pet shop.. are sticks with lamb or salmon or a third one I don't remember..
    They say that are free from wheat maize egg beef and soya and no artificial..

With my previous dog that had maaany problems with food I was giving him the forza10 food and treats.

I hope it helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Ive just found out over xmas mine loves frozen carrots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I have a Shih Tzu with a dodgy tum too! :)

Not sure how helpful this will be, but I've found that the treats at Pets At Home in the UK suit him just fine! Relatively cheap and reasonable quality. But I wait until I go home to stock up. In fact, I was home briefly a couple of weeks ago and hit up the stocks then!!

I've found Mutt and Jeff treats good for him too, but they're quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Burns also make treats for dogs which are more like a biscuit. I just break them up into smaller pieces for my bichon. She loves them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Pizzle sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My youngest, who is also my agility dog and the fussiest of my lot has loads of foods she can't have.
    So I now get the odd chicken breast or really good quality sausage and put them in the oven on a low heat for a few hours. She's also ok with cheese so easy slices work, and hot dog sausages are fine too.

I found any "dog" treats go straight through her,

For clicker training I use taste of the wild kibble ( i switched my dogs to raw a while ago and this is whats left of her dry)

My sensitive girl is under 6kg though so 1 chicken breast and a sausage will last me a couple of weeks :o
    She's a terrier and has the attention span of a small toddler and gets boooooored like a teenager so I have to ensure I bring a selection of all her allowed treats with me. She'll accept a treat for a few minutes till she gets bored so I have to change then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My collie has a really sensitive tummy but Ive found these two treats agree with her brilliantly. They are semi soft so you can break up the sticks into smaller pieces - the animonda ones are slightly harder than the rocco ones - she loves them.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dog_chew_sticks/soft_chew_sticks/134491

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dog_chew_sticks/soft_chew_sticks/289301

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sweet potato!

Mine go nuts for it, cut into 1cm thick slices(lengthways) and bake in oven on low heat 100-120 until rubbery but dried up.
    Give as a chew treat, they freeze well too, so make a large batch at once.

Also use up the dusty bits of dry food(or crush some), mix in a bit of finely grated cheese and an egg and bit of water to bind, shape into small ovals and bake. Keep in airtight container for about a week.

Frozen peas, frozen broccoli, raw or cooked carrot, all work great in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My dog loves cooked carrot, but the fussy little darling will only eat it when mixed with his Burns! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Fish4Dogs do a range of treats, it's all 100% fish and great for sensitive dogs.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

big_drive wrote: »
    Could anyone reccommend a good treat i could use for my dog (10 month old Bichon)

He has a sensitive stomach and needs a strict diet. He currently eats Burns mini bites as his main food. Maybe couple times a week i'll give him some boiled chicken and rice. This all seems to suit him well.

I'd like to give him occasional treats/dog biscuits as a reward for good behaviour, etc. I had given him Pedigree Mini Markies that i just picked up in the supermarket but realise these may not be the best and was wondering if there was something more healthy/natural out there that i could give a go?

Have you tried James wellbeloved treats?
    http://www.mollys.ie/james-wellbeloved-dog-treats.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Burns do a treat called Kelties which you can get usually in the vets where they stock Burns. You could try oven drying meat. If you slice chicken up thinly and put it in the oven on a very low heat and dry it out it'll make it very crispy/chewy.

Carrots can be hard enough to digest so maybe cut up carrots into little cubes and par boil them just to soften them a tiny bit and feed them as a treat. Maybe boiling them with a chicken bone to get some flavour into them (obviously don't feed the dog a cooked chicken bone throw it out afterwards once you've scraped the meat off it's just for flavour).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

I'm sure he loves the chicken why not use that as his treat??

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Dunny wrote: »
    Ive just found out over xmas mine loves frozen carrots!

HA! I was just about to suggest this, my bichon Benji goes mental for carrots, does a little dance around the kitchen when he see the peeler and carrot coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

I use James wellbeloved cracker jacks my dog loves them and their not bad for him like most treats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You can't beat a batch of liver cake! ;)

Advertisement