Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive to ps3

Options
  • 05-01-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I wouldn't be a very tech savvy person so hopefully there is an easy enough solution.
    Basically I've got an external hard drive and i want to hook it up to my playstation to watch stuff I've downloaded onto it
    Ive got mostly either avi or divx files on it, as far as I'm aware they can both be played on the playstation but is there anything I need to download or install so I can watch them
    Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

gmonov1 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a bit of advice. I wouldn't be a very tech savvy person so hopefully there is an easy enough solution.
    Basically I've got an external hard drive and i want to hook it up to my playstation to watch stuff I've downloaded onto it
    Ive got mostly either avi or divx files on it, as far as I'm aware they can both be played on the playstation but is there anything I need to download or install so I can watch them
    Thanks for any advice

You need to format it to FAT32 (note that formatting the drive will wipe it so backup the data first). FAT32 does have a file size limit of 4gb per file. Provided you are downloading legal content this may not be an issue,. but if you do ever want to rip your own DVD/Blu Ray collection to a format on the hard disk to play off the PS3 you will probably run into Cinavia.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭gmonov1

I've already had to reformat my drive to work wit a Mac, can I re reformat it??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

gmonov1 wrote: »
    I've already had to reformat my drive to work wit a Mac, can I re reformat it??

Yes but you'll loose all data, cannot be HFS+, Ext, NTFS etc.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

I don't know about on a Mac but in Windows you need to download third party software to format FAT32 drives over 32GB. The one one thats usually recommended is SwissKnife, although having said that the last time I formatted a drive to FAT32 I couldn't get SwissKnife to work and used different software (sorry, can't remember the name).

Also, once you have all that done and hook the external drive up to the PS3, when you navigate to the drive on the XMB you'll have to press Triangle on the controller and select "Display All" in order for your files to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭gmonov1

Job done, thanks for your advice nick!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

rcdk1 wrote: »
    I don't know about on a Mac but in Windows you need to download third party software to format FAT32 drives over 32GB. The one one thats usually recommended is SwissKnife, although having said that the last time I formatted a drive to FAT32 I couldn't get SwissKnife to work and used different software (sorry, can't remember the name).

Also, once you have all that done and hook the external drive up to the PS3, when you navigate to the drive on the XMB you'll have to press Triangle on the controller and select "Display All" in order for your files to appear.

Just on the last point if all the files are in a folder called 'VIDEO' all caps they'll appear when browsing through video and device. If not you'll have to display all.

Advertisement