Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sri Lanka - Lonely Planet No.1 for 2013

• 05-01-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Having been to Thailand and Vietnam in the last few years, I am keen on similar independent travel in places with real cultural diversity, historical sites and decent weather for a few days on a beach.

I was strongly favouring Indonesia, but the high treat of terrist attacks and package holidays from Australia has put me off.

Sri Lanka has been selected as No. 1 country destination by Lonely Planet for 2013. They recommend a 15 day trip (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/sri-lanka/tours/explorer/circle-sri-lanka?lpaffil=fbta1), which looks good to me.

Has anyone been to Sri Lanka? Any thoughts on the above trip? I would probably just follow the route myself without booking a group trip. Galle doesn't seem that interesting IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Haven't been to Sri Lanka but if you want travel in similar areas what about Burma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭goldiejam

Indonesia is massive, Australian package tourists mostly confined to Bali and Lombok, a minuscule part of the country, havent been any attacks on tourists in years, cant recommend the place enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

goldiejam wrote: »
    Indonesia is massive, Australian package tourists mostly confined to Bali and Lombok, a minuscule part of the country, havent been any attacks on tourists in years, cant recommend the place enough

Thanks for the reply. I'm still interested in Indonesia, so I've opened a new tread on it.

I went to Sri Lanka for two weeks in the Summer.. It was grand, really liked Trincomalee and Sigiriya but wasn't blown away by the hill country. Should have went to Sumatra / Borneo then and might do one if them in Feb.

Look up Borneo.. Lots of friends loved it and one of the girls is living there now advising us all to visit.

Advertisement