Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Town/Municipal Outdoor Pool on Markiewicz Road

Options
  • 05-01-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Trying to find out some info on this pool, which from what i can gather was built in about 1955 and is now the site of a recreational park type thing. It's known as salmon point. I swam there once or twice years back was a rough enough spot. Does anyone know when it opened exactly? I used heard stories of bands playing in the evening there in the 60s but the same guy could have been taking the mick!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Are you talking about 'The Hill bath'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah it would have been adjacent to forthill and frequented by a lot of the residents of the hill. checked the streets of sligo book yesterday not a lot of info in there about it besides to say it was opened in 1948/49 and was filled in during 2006 having being demolished in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My one and only trip to that pool was with some friends on a blistering hot afternoon. A now infamous resident of 'The Hill' ran to the side of the pool and dived in. He then got out, washed himself down with soap and dived back in again. Four/five minutes later we heard people shouting and screaming near him in the water. Turns out he took a shít in the pool and several floaters were spotted :eek:. That same day a mate of mine who did go in for a swim, ended up with a serious amount of stitches in his foot. When he walked on broken glass in the shallow end.

My one and only trip to that pool was with some friends on a blistering hot afternoon. A now infamous resident of 'The Hill' ran to the side of the pool and dived in. He then got out, washed himself down with soap and dived back in again. Four/five minutes later we heard people shouting and screaming near him in the water. Turns out he took a shít in the pool and several floaters were spotted :eek:. That same day a mate of mine who did go in for a swim, ended up with a serious amount of stitches in his foot. When he walked on broken glass in the shallow end.

unsurprisingly this was pretty much a typical day there! great story, i remember seeing some of the then residents of ashlane going in the evenings to wash clothes, which was done regularly. hard to believe it lasted as long as it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

My God, I knew it always had a reputation but never heard any proper stories from it!!

That's just incredible......and disgusting Corvus!!

• Advertisement

funniest one i overheard there was a few young fellas not yet ten talking about a neighbour of theirs that had passed away. they were saying the man was in mollys every evening for his tea and lived off the menu. one of them quips up: "did you hear what they put on his death cert, cause of death: mollys"

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

I travel past the replacement park that was put in in 2006 at least 2 to 3 times a day.

I have NEVER seen anyone in it or walking through it... I would love to know how much it cost to revamp. Looks nice but too far out of town to be a recreational area me thinks

Advertisement