Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4TB NAS for around €250 (self install) + Cloud Storage

• 05-01-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Looking this set up for a while but never found any below €300 (dabs buffalo €308 + shipping, kompletts self build €303.85, ebay €250 + shipping from US, Amazon £240 buffalo)

Then here I build 4TB (2 x 2TB) Network Attach Storage

NAS Enclosure : D-Link ShareCenter 2 Bay Cloud Network Storage Enclosure only £54.99 (Free Shipping - dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk)

4TB Hard Drive : 2 x 2TB Western Digital Caviar 2TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive only £74.99 (free UK Shipping + €3.50 for Parcel Motel)

So total, £54.99 + 2x£74.99 = £204.97 (around €252) + €3.50 = around €255.50

Local cheaper solution :

DLink DNS-320 (at Komplett) €103.95
    2TB Seagate (at Komplett) €97.95
    2TB WD Green (at PCWorld) €119.99 or 3TB €129.99

or take HDD from external hard drive WD Element 2TB USB2.0 from PCWorld €99.99 (at Maplin Seagate Expansion 2TB €102.99)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Reserved the WD My Book Live NAS in Maplin after seeing it on their website for 109 sterling. I had worked it out as being around €135. Then went there yesterday to collect it and yer man says that'll be €180.

He said the price on the website didn't include shipping over from England etc. What a load of bollax!! It's not like they had to pay €45 euro to get it to their Irish store. It was already there. Why does everything have to be a rip off in Ireland?

Anyway I got the Seagate GoFlex NAS after. Now I'm sorry I didn't build my own by doing it the way you did. Maplin should be shot for not having their prices in euro on the website when they are using that site to cover the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I read somewhere that some of the WD USB drives don't rock a SATA interface on the drive inside. They have s mini USB right on the drive.

Good call on the cheap drives though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just be aware that Amazon can multi-ship, my current order was shipped via three separate packages, not sure how this would effect Parcel Motel costs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

id spend the extra few quid on the wd red drives if its for a NAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

alexlyons wrote: »
    id spend the extra few quid on the wd red drives if its for a NAS

Yeah greens not the best for always on storage I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

The amazon listing for the nas enclosure says dispatch within 1-2 months! Doesn't sound right does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

slave1 wrote: »
    Just be aware that Amazon can multi-ship, my current order was shipped via three separate packages, not sure how this would effect Parcel Motel costs...
    Request the multi ship if buying multiple orders from Amazon if you are using PM. €3.50 for 1 package as opposes to €3.50 for each individiual. The multiple ship option has to be selected AFAIR. Ordered a good few bits pre-xmas. One delivery was 5 books. All packaged neatly in one nice little amazon box. And just one deliv. charge ;)

Note* I think it depends really on Amazon dispatching warehouses, but it'll definitely work, sometimes.

FWIW, I'm getting great satisfaction using parcel motel, not so much for the €3.50 set fee, but more so for the sheer amount of stuff that does NOT ship outside of the UK. Ridiculous in some situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Ordered 03.01.13 and got email dispatched today... on Amazon today that the one from Amazon £54.99 out of stock (dispatch with in 1-2months), in stock from others seller (from £76.99).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Yeah greens not the best for always on storage I've heard.

got 1TB Carviar green early 2010, still no problem on my 2TB NAS (Netgear Stora MS2110), really not recommend Netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

I would stay away from WD Green and Seagate 7200.11 and 7200.12 drives. If you want WD, go for Caviar Black. I'd recommend Hitachi or Samsung drives. Get HP Microserver N40L (about €190 after cashback) plus some drives and you would be much better with future expansion. With software RAID you can extent sotrage with no hassle. You can put Windows Home Server or Linux OS on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

p4xel wrote: »
    I would stay away from WD Green and Seagate 7200.11 and 7200.12 drives. If you want WD, go for Caviar Black. I'd recommend Hitachi or Samsung drives. Get HP Microserver N40L (about €190 after cashback) plus some drives and you would be much better with future expansion. With software RAID you can extent sotrage with no hassle. You can put Windows Home Server or Linux OS on it.

Caviar Black in a NAS?
    Could you post a link to what model and where one of those Samsung drives can be bought.

54kroc wrote: »
    Caviar Black in a NAS?
    Could you post a link to what model and where one of those Samsung drives can be bought.
    Sorry, I meant WD Red series. Personally I would take any HGST or Samsung over any Seagate of WD. The best practice for NAS station is not to get all identical. It is a good idea to mix different vendors or even from different manufacturing batch, not to end up with few of them failing at the same time (nothing lasts forever).
    I ended up buying Samsung HD204UI (beware of fake Samsung branded Seagates) and HGST HDS5C302 at very good price.
    Samsungs are no longer available but Hitachi are here on sale. I took them out of enclosures (loosing warranty) but still a good deal. Now I have 6TB RAID5 + hot spare running Ubuntu Server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

As bad as people say Seagate are, I've been running 4 x 2TB Seagate drives non stop for at least 2 years and I've never had a bit of trouble with them.
    I'd nearly always buy identical drives as well, one thing I tend to do is run them for a month before I trust them with anything important.

I just have bad experience with Seagates. One seized spindle motor (out of blue, no knock or anything), one bad platter scratch. Many firmware issues (easy to recover but still - says a lot about quality). At the end of the day it's all personal preference. If you're happy with Seagates - go get Seagates. In fact, get cheapest drives you can find, as sooner or later any drive will fail.
    The most important here is redundancy. If you care about data use RAID5 with spare, and do some off-site backups of most valuable data (CrashPlan does the job, and it's free). Set up mdadm with email reporting and monthly parity sync for peace of mind. Get drives with longest warranty you can find (5 years for some), as they will probably fail earlier in 24/7 NAS, so you can replace it for free. That's what I got on mine, but it took some time to set up.
    If you are looking for easier solution, and data safety is not a priority - get some NAS box, fit it with drives, set em up as RAID0 and work away.

Advertisement