Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to write about MacBeth in comparative?

• 05-01-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

We didn't do MacBeth as our single text but we briefly scanned over a summary of it for the comparative cos our teacher said we can include it as a 3rd text for our comparative. However we focused much more on the other 2 texts and i was wondering if i can just use these 2 for my comparative cos i barely know what even happened in macbeth! I see it says on comparative Qs - 'with reference to at least 2 texts' so can i leave out my 3rd text? Thnx! :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

ella.cole wrote: »
    We didn't do MacBeth as our single text but we briefly scanned over a summary of it for the comparative cos our teacher said we can include it as a 3rd text for our comparative. However we focused much more on the other 2 texts and i was wondering if i can just use these 2 for my comparative cos i barely know what even happened in macbeth! I see it says on comparative Qs - 'with reference to at least 2 texts' so can i leave out my 3rd text? Thnx! :):):)
    If your doing higher level you have no choice you have to answer on Macbeth otherwise you'll lose marks and it does t say you can use 2 texts every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

No, you must do Shakespeare either as a single text or comparative text for higher level otherwise you lose marks, and quite a lot of marks too! I would put it in but my teacher said you don't have to compare all 3 equally so perhaps just focus more on the other two but definitely include it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

No, you must write about it as either a comparative or a single text. You can leave out a 3rd text in the comparative if it asks for "at least 2 texts" but it can't be Macbeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

No - but you must answer on Shakespeare.
    The choice facing you is as follows:
    1. Answer Macbeth either for your single text or for comparative
    2. Answer A Winter's Tale (the only other play by Shakespeare on the 2013 syllabus)for the comparative.

Here's the syllabus:
    http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0004_2011.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

...cos i barely know what even happened in macbeth!
    Not that it's the ideal way to study a Shakespearean play, but as a *first step* rent the video and watch it; at least then when you pick up the text you will have some sense of the overall play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ella.cole

born2bwild wrote: »
    No - but you must answer on Shakespeare.
    The choice facing you is as follows:
    1. Answer Macbeth either for your single text or for comparative
    2. Answer A Winter's Tale (the only other play by Shakespeare on the 2013 syllabus)for the comparative.

Here's the syllabus:
    http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0004_2011.pdf

We did a winters tale too for the comparative, i know that one inside out. So ur saying that having a winters tale done means I can actually leave out mcbeth? :D

Not that it's the ideal way to study a Shakespearean play, but as a *first step* rent the video and watch it; at least then when you pick up the text you will have some sense of the overall play.

Ok thnx!! :D If I definitely have to do mcbeth I'll get the movie

leaveiton wrote: »
    No, you must write about it as either a comparative or a single text. You can leave out a 3rd text in the comparative if it asks for "at least 2 texts" but it can't be Macbeth.

But the other girl said if I have a winters tale done then i can leave it out? Maybe i should have included that we did a winters tale in my OP! I didn't know until now that was relevant too XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

We did a winters tale too for the comparative, i know that one inside out. So ur saying that having a winters tale done means I can actually leave out mcbeth? :D
    Yes; that's what I'm saying.
    Check the marking scheme from last year - page 40:http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2012/LC002ALP000EV.pdf
    There is no text by Shakespeare named - the only requirement is that the candidate answers on Shakespeare

Advertisement