Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are constantly called inspirational, when in reality were anything but.

• 05-01-2013 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

This is not a slight on the "People Who inspire" thread, just playing devils advocate.
    My ones are;

Nelson Mandela- Chinese trained terrorist, and name one thing he has done to improve the living conditions of black people in S Africa. He was not responsible for the removal of Apartheid, he was a figurehead, thats all.

John F Kennedy- Became President due to fathers connections with gangsters.
    When wife Jackie Kennedy had miscarriage, he didn't even bother his arse to cancel his yacht holiday with his "girlfriend" real inspirational bloke. Because of constant whoring, was a total security risk. Kennedy was all about the appearance of caring, couldn't give a toss in reality

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mandela done a lot of good. It's the greed and mismanagement of South Africa that is destroying it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mother Teresa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Prometheus wrote: »
    This is not a slight on the "People Who inspire" thread, just playing devils advocate.
    My ones are;

Nelson Mandela- Chinese trained terrorist, and name one thing he has done to improve the living conditions of black people in S Africa. He was not responsible for the removal of Apartheid, he was a figurehead, thats all.

John F Kennedy- Became President due to fathers connections with gangsters.
    When wife Jackie Kennedy had miscarriage, he didn't even bother his arse to cancel his yacht holiday with his "girlfriend" real inspirational bloke. Because of constant whoring, was a total security risk. Kennedy was all about the appearance of caring, couldn't give a toss in reality

So he didn't do anything it's just his story inspired others? Wait... what's the name of the thread again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Bieber, redicilously good looking with a one in a million voice, yet we're told to never say never and that people doubted him in his mere 14 years on earth before finding fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Every singer/popstar who people look up to and think are inspirational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Bieber, redicilously good looking with a one in a million voice, yet we're told to never say never and that people doubted him in his mere 14 years on earth before finding fame.

Of course you would say him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Superman. Seems as if all he wanted to do was shag some burd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Don't want to get shot down here but Jade Goody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Melion wrote: »
    Mother Teresa

This, absolute nutter with a bit of a suffering and death fetish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Sweet baby jebus.
    Ya, he's right up there with Mandela.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

All the sick people on RTE are supposed to be inspirational,at least I think thats what their on for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Harvey Dent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Zumo Bishop: I have it in good authority that his acting is so terrific that it's glorifying crime for all the impressionable youngsters who watch Fair City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Jesus

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Princess Diana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Martin Luther King

A preacher, man of God

That guy had more affairs then JFK!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

John Lennon

Pretty much everybody who's labelled as "inspirational" or "brave" in the papers.
    Like those Siamese twins. They happened to be born stuck together so they must be brave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Princess Diana.

Thank you. "Look at me pretending to give a fcuk about minefields in Cambodia".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Steve Jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

If they've inspired someone, they're inspirational! Maybe just not in your world, which means nothing in the scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Martin Luther King

A preacher, man of God

That guy had more affairs then JFK!

Don't give a shite about his sex life, to be honest, but what he did for equalality for blacks in America can't be overstated. Moreso than, say, Malcolm X who just came across as a complete racist. King is one of my heros.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 magento

bono,hypocritical midget,looks like a blue rinse bingo granny with those stupid glasses on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Brendan O'Carroll - inspirational in the worlds of Joe Duffy and Derek Mooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

Mandela done a lot of good. It's the greed and mismanagement of South Africa that is destroying it now.

Name one thing he did that has improved the day to day lives of black people in South Africa, one thing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't think I've ever, in real life or online, heard anyone say Justin Beiber was an inspiration to them

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

when was bono ever called inspirational?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I get enough inspiration from the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Susan Boyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Michael O'Leary.

A total c+unt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Steve Jobs...

Ditto. All he ever did was leech off other people's creativity and hard work so he could sell over-priced slave-labour produced tat to clueless magpies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mohammad Ali

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lance Armstrong

Stephen Hawking.

A truly grotesque man.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Geri Male wrote: »
    Stephen Hawking.

A truly grotesque man.
    ??????????????????????????

de velera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ditto. All he ever did was leech off other people's creativity and hard work so he could sell over-priced slave-labour produced tat to clueless magpies.

Ironic that Jobs was quoted acknowledging that they stole ideas from Microsoft to succeed yet take other companies to court over slight infractions on 'their' technology.

Technology that has also been proven in court to be copied from someone else who invented yet several years prior.

eg. pinch to zoom dates back to 1983, another is that apple tried suing a mexican phone company (iFone) for using their name despite iFone being registered in 2003, while iPhone registered in 2007.

??????????????????????????

His bullsh*t about God and heaven - reversing his beliefs purely to sell books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

David Attenborough. A TV presenter who has led a charmed life (and has said as much himself).

I don't look upwards for inspiration. I look to people like Brummytom's uncle for inspiration. I look to people like my now 80 year old Aunt who's been raising a young family since my cousin (her daughter obv) was killed in a car crash about 10 years ago. I look to young people who care for desperately disabled/ill parents and vice versa. I look to people who've survived awful life-circumstances and have went on to lead fulfilled lives.

It's these ordinary, every day heroes, that inspire me despite my head being filled with shite as a child that only saviours and supermen with supernatural powers can save us from life's travails and from ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BidillyBo

Slightly off topic because some of them are quite inspirational but why athletes in the Olympics are constantly called heroes is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

The hard-working single mums of the contestants on X Factor. 'My mum's an inspiration...its her dream to see me perform on the stage'.

Will ye fook right off! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Lance Armstrong seconded.

A guy who got a second chance in life but instead of taking the moral route, decided to pump himself full of drugs in an effort to inflate his ego and bank account whilst covering his tracks by feeding of the suffering of others.

A truly despicable human being. TOTAL FRAUD. Just sad it took so many people so long to figure out the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Soldiers.

Trained to kill, in possession of the latest state of the art weaponry, follow orders blindly and somehow become heroes because the locals (with their antique guns) have the temerity to fight back.

Getting shot at ≠ inspirational

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

Brendan O'Carroll - inspirational in the worlds of Joe Duffy and Derek Mooney.

He inspires me to switch off the telly and read a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Jimmy Saville

I don't think I've ever, in real life or online, heard anyone say Justin Beiber was an inspiration to them

Well he would be considered to be inspiration to some, just not to people you know.

David Attenborough. A TV presenter who has led a charmed life (and has said as much himself).

I don't look upwards for inspiration. I look to people like Brummytom's uncle for inspiration. I look to people like my now 80 year old Aunt who's been raising a young family since my cousin (her daughter obv) was killed in a car crash about 10 years ago. I look to young people who care for desperately disabled/ill parents and vice versa. I look to people who've survived awful life-circumstances and have went on to lead fulfilled lives.

It's these ordinary, every day heroes, that inspire me despite my head being filled with shite as a child that only saviours and supermen with supernatural powers can save us from life's travails and from ourselves.

That's so true. Getting inspiration from some pampered celebrity is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

Obama.

A recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize even though he's responsible for more Drone attacks than the Bush Administration. over 1,500 people killed in his first term of office, and has violated the airspace of Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia, even though the US is not at war with these countries.

Has done nothing to break the military industrial complex.

He went into Libya because France and Britain knew they could make a quick return when new oil contracts were drawn up with a newly corrupted government after Gaddaffi was taken care of.

Meanwhile in Syria...too much hassle with the Russians and Chinese. Good luck with that. The death toll could reach 100,000, but no one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Mary Cockful or whatever her name is.

So fcukin what if you overdid it on the sauce and then copped the fcuk on.

Inspirational me ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

probably gonna get dog's abuse over this, but Mary Robinson.

probably gonna get dog's abuse over this, but Mary Robinson.
    she opened the door to every chancer and scam artist to land on our shores and then she pissed off to america

• Advertisement
Advertisement