Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are constantly called inspirational, when in reality were anything but.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Steve Jobs. Turned half arsed electronics into a pathetic religion for some people. And by all accounts, on a personal level a tosser of a man. The worst thing about it being that when Apple eventually runs out of relevant add ons to put on new iPhone models and Samsung starts to properly swallow them, we will have various talking heads paraded out talking pretentious nonsense about how it would never have happened under the watch of the Great Leader.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Anyone say Marilyn Monroe yet?

Girls have her quotes all over Facebook. The woman was a damn junkie yo'!!

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at myworst you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best"

Any woman Ive ever known to use this on their quotes is usually a highly strung wagon of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Glassheart wrote: »
    Roy Keane.

was captain of his country and walked out when needed most, because the grass on the 5 a side pitch was the wrong shade of green or something ridicilous like that. very inspirational chap indeed..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Brian Lenihan

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Michael O'Leary, apparently a business guru... all he had done is crush his costs (read: staff wages), put bums on seats and then charge them outrageously for any extra. Every cinema owner since 1980 has done this!

Ignorant & vile on a personal level too imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Willie O'Dea....:P:P

An inspiration to all those who wish to grow a proper moustache...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

dttq wrote: »
    Yah it's all an illuminati conspiracy....the US government got Stanley Kubrick to pretend they did....which he later in the Shining, out of guilt, left clues as to the moon landing hoax. Bla bla bla.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

areyawell wrote: »
    Katie Taylor - Don't understand all the hype.
    Agree. Male boxing is way more competitive and our medal winners in that don't get half the publicity for a more difficult feat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Gianfranco Zola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What do you count as inspiration.

People who make you believe you can do something. - You can change the world, run the business or make a difference.

People who make you want to do something. - I want to achieve something in life and be like him/her.

Or people who actually make you do something. - He / she is making so much out of their lives that I am a complete waste of a human if I don't try and replicate it.

Or something entirely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Agree. Male boxing is way more competitive and our medal winners in that don't get half the publicity for a more difficult feat

Well it's obvious that both Amateur and Professional male boxing far exceed the women's version in every facet. Katie received so much publicity in this country because she was our only gold medal winner. I know the women's version is a minority sport and there was a low number of competitors in her weight class but she still won it out in fairness to her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Roy Keane

Acting like a coked up lunatic is not inspirational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Joseph Fritzl..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Hugh Hefner... Durty Lucky old B4stard..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

DeVore wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary, apparently a business guru...

Ignorant & vile on a personal level too imho.

Have you met him on a personal level ?

One thing he would never ever do is describe himself as a business guru.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Roy Keane

Acting like a coked up lunatic is not inspirational.

Even Keanes greatest onfield enemies like Patrick Viera have admired his commitment in spite of any personal hatreds. His management record is atrocious but you cannot detract from his demand for flawlessness from his team colleagues and his own managers.

I think Michael O Leary is a hero myself. He could not give a swinging sh1t what the rest of the world thinks about him and he is laughing all the way to the bank because of it. If you dont like small leg room and no free food and beer, take a flight to Prague that doesnt cost less than a train to Galway. Otherwise fair play to him for bringing in a system where you dont spend a weeks wages on a return to the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Morgan Freeman....
    sincerely,
    iguy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Oprah
    Dalai Lama
    Echart tolle
    Deepak Chopra
    Jesus Christ
    Martin Luther King (black dude)

Actually I never thought of them as Inspirational. I can't stand them, but I know many people would probably have thought some of these to be inspirational and now finding themselves thinking, what the f*ck was I thinking?

I think Michael O Leary is a hero myself. He could not give a swinging sh1t what the rest of the world thinks about him and he is laughing all the way to the bank because of it. .

No Michael O Leary is just an obnoxious prick. He tries to come across as this no bull**** straight talking demeanor type of businessman, but he comes off as a vulgar flamboyant version of Simon Cowell. It's just small man syndrome.

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    Oprah

Too right. I like Obama but it is a bit of a fcuked situation when in the Obama vs Clinton primary stage a key point of the campaign leaned on securing the support of women who hang off the every word of someone who presents a daytime talkshow.

• Advertisement

Too right. I like Obama but it is a bit of a fcuked situation when in the Obama vs Clinton primary stage a key point of the campaign leaned on securing the support of women who hang off the every word of someone who presents a daytime talkshow.

Why do Irish people like Obama. for f**k sake. :rolleyes:

Anyone who has an intuition, knows Obama is a conceited turd with stupid long legs. Only slaves like Obama, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Frank Garrett a pole barn builder in Stilwell Oklahoma. He was soundboard prank call victim at the tail end of 2007, his profanity laced soundboard gained legendary status and became a hit on youtube. A religion by the name of 'Duncanism' was started in honour of Frank. His business was called Duncan Construction, Frank died in the summer of 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Middle school wrestler lets boy with cerebral palsy win match

"If you watch the video, he just did an amazing job. There's not many adults comfortable putting hands on a disabled kid, much less another 13-year-old."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/middle-school-wrestler-lets-boy-cerebral-palsy-win-222254658.html

To me this is not inspirational but in fact, outrageously patronising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but he would still be a wanker who rode his own brothers wife.

for 8 years!

no once off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Mary McAleese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Caroline Casey of Kanchi - inspirational when it comes to promoting her own career and hoovering up corporate sponsorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Don't want to get shot down here but Jade Goody
    Read the title of the thread and immediately thought of her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Princess Diana. She had some photo ops with landmines and put her name to a charity after her death has she really inspired anyone to do anything yet we're bombarded with pictures and features on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oprah
    Dalai Lama
    Echart tolle
    Deepak Chopra
    Jesus Christ
    Martin Luther King (black dude)
    Ohh that Martin Luther King.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Lapin wrote: »
    RE - Stephen Hawking

^^^ Biggest load of pretentious attention seeking bullshít comment I've seen on Boards for a long time.

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

No Michael O Leary is just an obnoxious prick. He tries to come across as this no bull**** straight talking demeanor type of businessman, but he comes off as a vulgar flamboyant version of Simon Cowell. It's just small man syndrome.

He doesn't want to be your best mate. If we had more people like him in the country, we would be 100 times better off. Suppose you would prefer to pay €200 a pop for flights to the UK with Aer Lingus like the old days?

Because he is a showman first and foremost and Irish people are suckers for that. Ask people what his policies are and they couldn't tell you. I bet you could hand them Romney's policies, tell them they were Obama's and they would love them.

When he spoke on College Green for his half-day visit, he didn't even bother staying the night in the end, he told us to trot off and not to bother the USA with our problems. People stood there and cheered him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

COYW wrote: »
    He doesn't want to be your best mate. If we had more people like him in the country, we would be 100 times better off. Suppose you would prefer to pay €200 a pop for flights to the UK with Aer Lingus like the old days?

No, he would be 100 times better off. Don't believe for an instant Micko is doing anything Do Cum Gloire De Agus Honora Na hEireann. If there were 100 times as many Mickos in the country the rest of us would be their nigras.

COYW wrote: »

No...
    Because he is a showman first and foremost and Irish people are suckers for that. Ask people what his policies are and they couldn't tell you. I bet you could hand them Romney's policies, tell them they were Obama's and they would love them.
    No, only people who are f**king dopey love him..People who love US presidents, are just sheep.
    When he spoke on College Green for his half-day visit, he didn't even bother staying the night in the end, he told us to trot off and not to bother the USA with our problems. People stood there and cheered him!

He left, because it was a safety issue.
    The guy had a bullet proof car and a helicopter to get around.

It was in, out and gtfo the country in a few hours. Pretty much like any presidential campaign trail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Kurt Cobain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm gonna agree with John Lennon. Good songwriter, yes, but his whole "save the world"/"make love, not war, man" message is completely overrated, especially since Lennon very rarely practiced what he preached. From turning his back on his first son after taking up with Yoko Ono, to beating that same woman and inducing a miscarriage, the man's real life personality was absolutely nothing to write home about and nothing like what his worshippers would have you believe.

Agreeing with Marilyn Monroe too - beautiful woman, but the definition of style over substance. Horrible actress who really just got by on looks. When I think of icons, I think of people who were actually talented and contributed something to the world in some way or another. She was marginally talented and did nothing of any real substance except look pretty.

I'm gonna agree with John Lennon. Good songwriter, yes, but his whole "save the world"/"make love, not war, man" message is completely overrated, especially since Lennon very rarely practiced what he preached. From turning his back on his first son after taking up with Yoko Ono, to beating that same woman and inducing a miscarriage, the man's real life personality was absolutely nothing to write home about and nothing like what his worshippers would have you believe.

There were many John Lennons,the good the bad and the saccharine.It's the latter personality that Ono and the Lennon estate have peddled to the world since his death and i don't like it any more than you do.

Those of us who 'worship' Lennon know that he was a very dysfunctional individual with an appalling side to his personality.But that's not why he is an inspiration to us,he was an inspiration because he was an utterly brilliant songwriter.

Sid Vicious.

A sneering,narcissistic,untalented junkie who probably murdered his girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lennon was an inspiration because he was a deeply flawed individual who wanted to get his life together. Some of us are similar. He could also write extremely moving and soul-searching lyrics accompanied by a tune you could hum to (he was a musical genius).
    I don't gives a toss about his view on world peace. Daniel O'Donnell knows more about world politics than Lennon did due to not being on acid or weed while making profound statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Monroe is actually awesome, and you are WELL off the mark. She revolutionised the way studios work with actors, made sexual abuse something people should talk about (When anything to do with sex was extremely taboo), made a club owner book a black singer (Ella Fitzgerald), was extremely well read and headed a The Committee for a SANE Nuclear Policy. Not so much a dumb bimbo as a cool sex symbol totally deserving of several badges of awesomeness.

So there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Has anyone ever claimed to have been inspired by Jade Goody or Sid Vicious??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I know a lot of people who say they found Goody inspiring. They're not the brightest people ever.

• Advertisement

Axl Rose.

He crystallises everything i hate about rock stardom.How he is still allowed to behave in the pompous,infantile way in which he does in the twilight of his career is beyond me.
    Hi lyrics are rubbish and he sings like his arse has been sharpening pencils.An inspiration to boneheads everywhere.

Kurt Cobain was certainly inspired by Vicious.He even had his own Nancy Spungen.I encounter his admirers all the time.It's always baffled me.

Have to disagree. O Leary is like Eamon Dunphy, the Gallagher brothers, Mike Tyson. He speaks his mind, refusing to be held down by the rules of what is meant to be the acceptable line to tow in public.

Take a look at the comments on stories in the US News section.

He so pisses off a certain sub section of American society it is impossible not to like him :pac: Add to that the lunatic rants about him on the conspiracy theory forum here, the man is a hero :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm thinking... Is this a 'what did they ever do for us' thread? To which I'd add; the tremendous achievements globally of our boxers. Individually great and it puts us on the map but there's those that use it as proof that the Irish were traditionally a nation of brawlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Barack O'Bama and steve Jobbs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Steve Jobs set up a company with his mate in his Dad's garage that now has products in most households in the developed world.

I have find that pretty inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Honourable mention goes to the : " Bob Maarley is me bleedin hero/ dye want yer go " crowd

Ehhh funnily enough he's also a musician and has several songs you might want to listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

Bill Hicks supposedly a ground breaking controversial comedy hero.

Just another dime a dozen, unfunny, 'angry', american.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Monroe is actually awesome, and you are WELL off the mark. She revolutionised the way studios work with actors, made sexual abuse something people should talk about (When anything to do with sex was extremely taboo), made a club owner book a black singer (Ella Fitzgerald), was extremely well read and headed a The Committee for a SANE Nuclear Policy. Not so much a dumb bimbo as a cool sex symbol totally deserving of several badges of awesomeness.

So there.

She was by all accounts a very clever girl. She came from a troubled up bringing and herself was sexual abused by her foster parents several times :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

In his time (and pre-WWII), Hitler was widely considered to be inspirational. He was one of the most charismatic leaders of the last 200 years. Still an asshole though.

Advertisement