Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are constantly called inspirational, when in reality were anything but.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Johnboy Walton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

otto_26 wrote: »
    Johnboy Walton
    +1. Backwards, small-minded and bookish and has inspired a million stupid good-night rituals. Hang on, that makes him inspirational... nite john boy...
    nite otto..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Steve Jobs set up a company with his mate in his Dad's garage
    Yeah until they fired his ass

Reality is Jobs was a bully and Apple releasing an IPAD mini is just like giving him the two fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

All these celebrities claiming they were bullied as a kid just to get the sympathy vote.
    Seems to be the popular thing to say these days.
    Mostly bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

In his time (and pre-WWII), Hitler was widely considered to be inspirational. He was one of the most charismatic leaders of the last 200 years. Still an asshole though.

Sieg asshole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Has anyone ever claimed to have been inspired by Jade Goody or Sid Vicious??

Apparently so, my Dr told me there was a huge spike in younger women getting themselves checked for cervical cancer in the months after her diagnosis and subsequent death.

She may have been a idiotic media whore, but she was very vocal about her illness in her final months. If that prevents even one or two women from the same fate, then it's inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ohh that Martin Luther King.

Thanks for the clarification.

Presumably everyone would have got confused and assumed that he was talking about 16th century German theologian Martin Luther otherwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Monroe is actually awesome, and you are WELL off the mark. She revolutionised the way studios work with actors, made sexual abuse something people should talk about (When anything to do with sex was extremely taboo), made a club owner book a black singer (Ella Fitzgerald), was extremely well read and headed a The Committee for a SANE Nuclear Policy. Not so much a dumb bimbo as a cool sex symbol totally deserving of several badges of awesomeness.

So there.

She was unreliable to work with, and wasn't a particularly good actress anyway.

As far as sexual abuse and making a club owner book a black singer - if she hadn't done that, someone else would have. Ella Fitzgerald was a great enough singer that she couldn't have gone ignored. She is more deserving of iconic status than Marilyn Monroe.

Well read - So what? So are a lot of people who are not given even half of the same amount of praise.

The main reason she is worshipped is because she was beautiful and died young and because of all the turmoil in her life. Those are not great reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

magento wrote: »
    de velera

Wow, a leader who actually stood up to bullies that were America and Britain (well, to be fair, more David Gray US Ambassador , and in small part Churchill) regarding staying out of WW2. A leader prepared to ensure Ireland stood on its own feet on the International Scene eg entry to League of Nations and the UN, despite hassle from other countries.

A but sure, we have plenty of men in the Dail who will defend Ireland (but, of course , one major event destroys his legacy) .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Wow, a leader who actually stood up to bullies that were America and Britain (well, to be fair, more David Gray US Ambassador , and in small part Churchill) regarding staying out of WW2. A leader prepared to ensure Ireland stood on its own feet on the International Scene eg entry to League of Nations and the UN, despite hassle from other countries.

A but sure, we have plenty of men in the Dail who will defend Ireland (but, of course , one major event destroys his legacy) .......

A leader who was the first dignitary to phone Germany to offer condolences when Adolf Hitler killed himself.

And who is also largely responsible for the overly-religious nonsense in Bunreacht Na hEirinn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

A leader who incited civil war with his rivers of blood speech, refused to accept the wishes of the Dail or the people regarding the treaty, who brought guns to the handover of power in 1932, was too cowardly to negotiate with the Brits himself, who started a disastrous economic war with Britain in the 1930s, and sympathised on the death of Hitler. Some man. And for all the nonsense about how great his neutrality policy was, he tried to set up and alliance with the US afterwards only to be rejected, and only wouldn't enter NATO because of Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Steve Jobs...

Come here you have to hand it to jobs tbf, he convinced the world that they needed to pay a fortune for pieces of plastic and metal and in the process made a ****ing fortune... The man was a god:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Yeah until they fired his ass

Reality is Jobs was a bully and Apple releasing an IPAD mini is just like giving him the two fingers.

Yes they fired him... which during his time away he created PIXAR... which gave the world toy story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Soldiers.

Trained to kill, in possession of the latest state of the art weaponry, follow orders blindly and somehow become heroes because the locals (with their antique guns) have the temerity to fight back.

Getting shot at ≠ inspirational

Sweeping generalisation. I agree if we're talking about the yanks. But what about Irish soldiers deployed to places like the Lebanon and Chad. Whos sole job is to protect locals from waring factions. Selflessly stand between them, secure borders, make friends with the locals and give them sense of security. Our airmen fly medical/rescue missions, provide garda air support and patrol our seas to protect fisheries stock. As do the members of the naval service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

retalivity wrote: »
    when was bono ever called inspirational?

by his publicist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I feel so ashamed writing this but I feel my child needs to be outted.....she came home today and told me they have to write a piece about someone they admire, have a guess who she wants to write about.....

Rhianna!!!!! Rhi****inganna!! Over my dead body will she write about that wan. I'm so ashamed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

I feel so ashamed writing this but I feel my child needs to be outted.....she came home today and told me they have to write a piece about someone they admire, have a guess who she wants to write about.....

Rhianna!!!!! Rhi****inganna!! Over my dead body will she write about that wan. I'm so ashamed :(

Oh well,

A young woman who overcame a tough upbringing on an island, and hit it big time with her musical abilities (and the help of an ass sculpted by god)
    She suffered physical abuse and had to deal with it in the public eye............ Blah blah blah Ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

She was unreliable to work with, and wasn't a particularly good actress anyway.

As far as sexual abuse and making a club owner book a black singer - if she hadn't done that, someone else would have. Ella Fitzgerald was a great enough singer that she couldn't have gone ignored. She is more deserving of iconic status than Marilyn Monroe.

Well read - So what? So are a lot of people who are not given even half of the same amount of praise.

The main reason she is worshipped is because she was beautiful and died young and because of all the turmoil in her life. Those are not great reasons.

So it's her fault that people remember her a certain way. despite having a deeper personality than "Blonde Bombshell?" Everything you're saying comes down to so what, someone else would have, which you can say about anything anyone ever did.

This is like the reverse of Mother Theresa. Borderline sociopath who everyone thought was sweet as pie. Marilyn Monroe, shy smart chick who cared about the Earth and it's inhabitants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

thiarfearr wrote: »
    A leader who incited civil war with his rivers of blood speech, refused to accept the wishes of the Dail or the people regarding the treaty, who brought guns to the handover of power in 1932, was too cowardly to negotiate with the Brits himself, who started a disastrous economic war with Britain in the 1930s, and sympathised on the death of Hitler. Some man. And for all the nonsense about how great his neutrality policy was, he tried to set up and alliance with the US afterwards only to be rejected, and only wouldn't enter NATO because of Britain.

Think that was British M.P. Enoch Powell's racist speech on immigration in the U.K in the mid 20th century

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

+1 for Develera.

The guy did more harm than good yet seems to be revered as some sort of Irish hero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    All these celebrities claiming they were bullied as a kid just to get the sympathy vote.
    Seems to be the popular thing to say these days.
    Mostly bull.
    Don't forget how they were all socially awkward geeky teenagers who never got asked out on a date :( It makes me relate to them soooo much and I find it inspirational how they managed to make a success of themselves as adults. It fills me with hope that it they can overcome such odds, so too may I :p

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

EdenHazard wrote: »
    That's so true. Getting inspiration from some pampered celebrity is pointless.

Everything you post makes my brain hurt.

Advertisement