Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burns Dog Food

• 05-01-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I just had to buy a bag today as the dog food I usually use didn't deliver, I didn't even have enough to switch them over gradually, anyway, that's another post!!

I bought Burns at the vets, I know that it's supposed to be one of the best and it's certainly priced like that, but I noticed on the ingredients that the first ingredient is rice 63%, next ingredient in chicken meal (not meat) 20%, my usual food has lamb as the first ingredient 26% and rice as the next ingredient 20 something %, I always thought the way to tell a quality food was that the meat should be the first and biggest ingredient so now I'm confused, also one of my dogs is a bit of a fussy/sensitive soul, now she's eaten it no probs but I'm a bit worried about the long term effect with all that rice?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

can guess what food never turned up.

when this happened to me i was told that burns as well as rc while ok were to expensive for what u get. i switched to barking heads. always avalable and more importantly my dogs are doing great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

can guess what food never turned up.

I can't even go there...!!

I would feed Barking Heads in a second but I can't afford it for 2 dogs, the 12kg bags are about 56/57 euro and that would last less than a month on them!

I intend to move to Best For My Dog next, bit better value for money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Skinners would be of equivalent quality to Burns or BFMD, but only approx. €30 per 15kg bag incl. delivery from the UK as it's VAT free. My dog is doing well on it and it's had other favourable reviews here too! (Have fed my guys both Burns and BFMD in the past.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

boomerang wrote: »
    Skinners would be of equivalent quality to Burns or BFMD, but only approx. €30 per 15kg bag incl. delivery from the UK as it's VAT free. My dog is doing well on it and it's had other favourable reviews here too! (Have fed my guys both Burns and BFMD in the past.)

Have been thinking of switching to Skinners myself...need to save a few quid, now that there's an extra (very large) mouth to feed. Can get AG for about €35 per bag from UK which is pretty good, but am not impressed with the 12kg sizes...it all adds up!
    Re the Skinners, is there a big difference in the quality of the varieties? I notice the Field and Trial Maintenance is quite a bit cheaper than the Duck and Rice (which seems very similar to AG). On the other hand, the Field and Trial Crunchy has a higher protein content and lists meat as its first ingredient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I did look at Skinners based on comments here on another thread but I got confused with the different flavours, prices etc etc and sort of gave up! Honestly, feeding your dog shouldn't be this hard!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I did look at Skinners based on comments here on another thread but I got confused with the different flavours, prices etc etc and sort of gave up! Honestly, feeding your dog shouldn't be this hard!!!

Basically choose from duck and rice or salmon and rice, I don't think the cheaper ones are up to much. Buy either from amazon and subscribe and save 15kg will cost you probably €26-€30 depending on exchange rate. You don't need to feed the quantities recommended on the bag as they are for working dogs. You just feed the same quantities as burns and you will find you dogs will put on weight! It is e trembly popular in the uk and they are an ethical company also like burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

ive been feeding burns for around 10 months now and find it very good. my dogs look healthier and also because of the low feeding amount, it works out reasonable.
    the chicken meal is dried chicken as far as im aware. chicken minus the water weight..
    im always on the look out at different dog foods but i reckon i will stick with burns as ive no reason to change as yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

i had my Golden on Burns, but he didn't really like it, i put him on taste of the Wild from Zooplus and he seems to enjoy it more.....he never seems overly hungry, except for a piece of real chicken or meat from the left over dinners....! (we only feed him the meat, nothing else, shame to waste it and at the end of the day he is a dog, even if wonderful). he is very healthy and has a great coat that sheds everywhere, which is the only down side. so id recommend taste of the wild, its all meat, veg and fruit, no maize or corn which is the fillers in most other dog foods.....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

ctlsleh wrote: »
    i had my Golden on Burns, but he didn't really like it, i put him on taste of the Wild from Zooplus and he seems to enjoy it more.....he never seems overly hungry, except for a piece of real chicken or meat from the left over dinners....! (we only feed him the meat, nothing else, shame to waste it and at the end of the day he is a dog, even if wonderful). he is very healthy and has a great coat that sheds everywhere, which is the only down side. so id recommend taste of the wild, its all meat, veg and fruit, no maize or corn which is the fillers in most other dog foods.....

i was considering TOTW but their producers seem to have a lot of recalls :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dead_tree

I tried ordering Skinners Duck and Rice but it won't deliver to my address. It will deliver the lamb and rice but it's more expensive and not worth changing from Burns.

Any idea why it won't deliver the duck and rice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Renno123 wrote: »
    i was considering TOTW but their producers seem to have a lot of recalls :(

How many have they had - I was only aware of one in May of last year?

Advertisement