Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Learner

• 05-01-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for information for a motorcycle learner. After looking into it I am going to book the theory test for March and get that sorted.

I am looking for a 125cc bike but since I have no one who ever had a bike I havnt a clue of brands or makes? Is it possible to buy a higher cc bike and get it limited to 125cc??

Also any information on IBT would be appreciated. And general tips just to get me on the road

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577 read the stickies, should be all covered there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am looking for information for a motorcycle learner. After looking into it I am going to book the theory test for March and get that sorted.

I am looking for a 125cc bike but since I have no one who ever had a bike I havnt a clue of brands or makes? Is it possible to buy a higher cc bike and get it limited to 125cc??

Also any information on IBT would be appreciated. And general tips just to get me on the road

Thanks
    Gary

I have been on a 125 for 2 years now. Honda cbr 125 r, done 12000 km on this bike so far and absolutly nothong went wrong!
    If u get a A permit instead of A1 get a 250 as a first bike. Its much better in long run. I made the mistake of getting a 125 first and regret it now. Don't make the same mistake as me! Get an learner A permit and a 250.
    you can restrict bikes but insurance companies will charge u a fortune as they calcute by cc not power. (Greedy b******) hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 decosr1

you shoud try for a zxr250, cbr 250 or similar or if your into naked bikes a hornet 250 or the new suzuki insuma

• Registered Users Posts: 33 decosr1

125 is a waste of time unless your 17 and weigh less than 8 or 9 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Hi thanks for the replies

I read through the sticky there I should have looked before I posted.

I think I have settled on a Kawasaki Ninja 250r, with the restrictor kit i am getting an affordable insurance quote, well affordable to me is anything less than 1000 because i get screwed with car insurance every year!

Would this be a dacent choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nice bike for your first bike.
    My first bike was a Honda 50.
    Go for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

Hi thanks for the replies

I read through the sticky there I should have looked before I posted.

I think I have settled on a Kawasaki Ninja 250r, with the restrictor kit i am getting an affordable insurance quote, well affordable to me is anything less than 1000 because i get screwed with car insurance every year!

Would this be a dacent choice?

Stall the digger there boys

First off you dont have to restrict a ninja 250

The A restricted catagory wont exist after 19 jan 2013

Depending on your age, differnt bikes might not suit.

if your over 18 you will be issued the new A2 learner pemit
    If you do the the ibt on a ninja 250 you would only be issued an A1 ibt cert from your instructor

The A2 catagory requires min 395cc and max 35kws.
    So the same applies for the test if you have an A2 permit and want to obtain an A2 licence you must do the test on a bike above 395cc and restricted to 35kws

if your over 24 then you can go for direct access
    And if your under 18 you are restricted to the A1
    so no problem buying and riding a ninja 250 but for the IBT and Test you must use a bike as described as above

Sorry I should make it more clear Im 21

There are new laws coming into place?

Stall the digger there boys

First off you dont have to restrict a ninja 250

The A restricted catagory wont exist after 19 jan 2013

Depending on your age, differnt bikes might not suit.

if your over 18 you will be issued the new A2 learner pemit
    If you do the the ibt on a ninja 250 you would only be issued an A1 ibt cert from your instructor

The A2 catagory requires min 395cc and max 35kws.
    So the same applies for the test if you have an A2 permit and want to obtain an A2 licence you must do the test on a bike above 395cc and restricted to 35kws

if your over 24 then you can go for direct access
    And if your under 18 you are restricted to the A1
    so no problem buying and riding a ninja 250 but for the IBT and Test you must use a bike as described as above

So what your saying I will be allowed to ride a bike up to 395cc? I would have no problem doing the IBT on such a bike, I was considering the Ninja die to the cc along with a restrictor kit.

Would you give me a quick run through with the new rules as I am currently looking to purchase a bike for myself to work towards getting on the road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

So what your saying I will be allowed to ride a bike up to 395cc? I would have no problem doing the IBT on such a bike, I was considering the Ninja die to the cc along with a restrictor kit.

Would you give me a quick run through with the new rules as I am currently looking to purchase a bike for myself to work towards getting on the road

the size of the bike dosent matter if you have an A2 its the power the bike produces.
    Also what bike power of the bike was before it was restricted

have a look on biker.ie i started a thread on updates on learner permits and tests 2013 all the info you need is on that thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement