Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC vs BDO - Discuss

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Was he not the no. 1 BDO player when he won the Grand Slam?

Either way, my point is the fallacy of saying to be world champion you have to beat Taylor. The game should not be defined in that way. Heck even the PDC worlds should not be defined in that way.

He was seeded No. 2 for the tournament anyway, not sure about his world ranking.

As for your second point I completely agree, whoever wins the BDO has every right to be called a World Champion but it should be disclosed that they are/were BDO World Champion because as much as the old school darts fans wants it to be, the BDO is not at the same standard as the PDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

That certainly is true. As they both show at the moment. They coexist. Uneasily perhaps, but it is what it is. Insisting that the PDC is better is like insisting the Spanish League is better than the English League. We know that, but the question is "so what".

My thoughts exactly... I would love to see ESPN invest in the BDO to shorten that gap.

I have to say, much as I like the BDO and dislike the constant attempts to put it down, I also dislike Martin Adams attitude of "the PDC does not exist or is irrelevant". It exists Martin, I can see it, and it's pretty darn good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I have to say, much as I like the BDO and dislike the constant attempts to put it down, I also dislike Martin Adams attitude of "the PDC does not exist or is irrelevant". It exists Martin, I can see it, and it's pretty darn good!

Never a big fan of his

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Adams is a fool. Taylor would whitewash him and the most of the PDC top 10 would beat him well.

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    Adams is a fool. Taylor would whitewash him and the most of the PDC top 10 would beat him well.

They have played 4 times. Taylor won 3, Adams 1. None has been a whitewash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

T-K-O wrote: »
    I have already said, in the last few years PDC successfully poached most of the talent. But it's wasn't that long ago when the BDO (less Taylor) still had the better players.

So Taylor is a 6 time world champion and we should scratch the BDO

Completly wrong. Sure the PDC (WDC) was set up when virtually all the top BDO players left. Almost all the previous champions went to the WDC.

If Man U, Barcelona, Real, Bayern, Chelsea, Inter, Porto, Juve, AC, Liverpool, Benfica, Athletico and a few more all formed a new champions cup then I'm sorry but that's the competition that will now have more prestige. Same with darts. When the top talent left they took the prestige with them.
    Who was left? Steve Beaton, Richie Burnett, Bobby George.....

Boxing is the wrong analogy. A far better comparison would be PDC =UFC and BDO =K1 Pride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

But it's wasn't that long ago when the BDO (less Taylor) still had the better players.

The BDO never had a better set of players than the PDC throughout the history of the split.

The closest it got was about 1999 to 2004 but the PDC were still better, with far better 3 dart averages being thrown by most players.

The PDC was established due to the almost fascist behaviour of Olly Croft.

The players asked him could they organise there own TV tournament outside of the World Championship as the BDO would not organise them. The players then pulled the WDC badge stunt at the 1993 World Championship.

Croft didn't like this and then firstly banned all WDC players in the UK and due to his presence on the WDF, got them a world wide ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Never a big fan of his

"Wolfie" has a position on the BDO afaik as well as being a player so he is probably biased against PDC. He has managed to make a nice living from being "a big fish in a small pond" and has collected 100k for winning on more than one occassion. Not bad when you consider he would be low in the PDC pecking order if he moved over.With endorsements etc I would say he is better in the BDO and probably enjoys the friendlier atmosphere.In the BDO,he is highly respected as a multiple champion.His wife goes to a lot of matches but probably wouldn't want to sit in a PDC crowd and listen to some of the abuse that players are subjected to.Are you sure you don't dislike him just because he looks a bit like RTE's Joe Duffy TKO?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Daroxtar wrote: »

Boxing is the wrong analogy. A far better comparison would be PDC =UFC and BDO =K1 Pride
    The correct analogy would actually be Premier League and Championship football. When the players in the BDO (Championship) reach the top of that organisation the next step up is to he big money and better overall quality of the PDC (Premier League)

Even tough I'm fully aware that the standard in PDC is higher I still prefare the BDO. As an organisation it just seems more interested in the actual darts rather than the show business side of modern televised sports. And yes I'm fully aware that by ignoring what large sections of the ticket buying public want they are essentially digging their own grave as a profitable sporting body but I'm still somewhat of a darting romantic when it comes to the Lakeside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lot of deluded people on this thread.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Lot of deluded people on this thread.

I agree. Too many very dismissive about the standards in the BDO. Like it or not, it is a World Title. We can argue all day about the merits and demerits, it is the one that goes back to 78 and it will be around for a while to come.

I agree. Too many very dismissive about the standards in the BDO. Like it or not, it is a World Title. We can argue all day about the merits and demerits, it is the one that goes back to 78 and it will be around for a while to come.

I do like watching it but it is not a World title.There are only 4 competitors who have been in previous finals and 2 were eliminated on the first day.All the other former winners and finalists have gone.Even BBC have been using the term "former Lakeside champion" rather than "former World champion" in relation to JB Walton

It's nothing but a World Title in name. You have to be seriously deluded to consider some of the recent winners as being World Champions considering their 3 dart average vis-à-vis the PDC world champions.

repsol wrote: »
    I do like watching it but it is not a World title.There are only 4 competitors who have been in previous finals and 2 were eliminated on the first day.All the other former winners and finalists have gone.Even BBC have been using the term "former Lakeside champion" rather than "former World champion" in relation to JB Walton
    Wait. What?
    So you are saying that the value of any world championship is directly proportional to the amount of former champions or finalists in said competition.

Also the term Lakeside champion has always been used as the venue is part of the history of the tournament nearly as much as the darts.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Wait. What?
    So you are saying that the value of any world championship is directly proportional to the amount of former champions or finalists in said competition.

Also the term Lakeside champion has always been used as the venue is part of the history of the tournament nearly as much as the darts.

No. What repsol is saying is quite correct.

In the first say 10 years of the split, the PDC barely got a mention. More and more I see that the PDC is being mentioned (now more than ever since Croft got booted off the board).

Similarly, this Lakeside Champion phrase has only been used quite often in the last 10 years or so.

I do like watching it but it is not a World title.

But it is. Names on that trophy like Bristow, Lowe, Taylor, Van Barneveld...100 quotes that you twist out of BBC commentary about Walton won't change that. Are you seriously making the point that he BBC agrees with you that the PDC is the only world title? That's laughable.

It's nothing but a World Title in name. You have to be seriously deluded to consider some of the recent winners as being World Champions considering their 3 dart average vis-à-vis the PDC world champions.
    Do you know how little 3 dart averages where talked about before Sky decided it was the measure of a darts player.
    Did you never hear the saying "Trebles for show, doubles for dough"

• Advertisement

But it is. Names on that trophy like Bristow, Lowe, Taylor, Van Barneveld...100 quotes that you twist out of BBC commentary about Walton won't change that. Are you seriously making the point that he BBC agrees with you that the PDC is the only world title? That's laughable.

You're in denial.

I didn't realise that 3 dart averages were the be all and end all.

Someone rush and tell Daryl Fitton, did he not hit then record televised 114 average a few years back. Apparently that made him the world champion...in both organisations!!

You're in denial.

Possibly. I deny that 3 dart averages decide the world champion. In either organisation.

I didn't realise that 3 dart averages were the be all and end all.

Someone rush and tell Daryl Fitton, did he not hit then record televised 114 average a few years back. Apparently that made him the world champion...in both organisations!!
    Now where's that betting slip till I tell Paddy Power it was actually a winner

Do you know how little 3 dart averages where talked about before Sky decided it was the measure of a darts player.
    Did you never hear the saying "Trebles for show, doubles for dough"

Doubles percentage forms a huge part of your 3 dart average. Each missed double means you score 0 for that dart. A huge dent in your 3 dart average.

And of course it matters. It is the primary stat which shows how good of a dart player you are. The only way it is skewed is if the player you are playing is better than you, which artificially raises your 3 dart average as you're not throwing at doubles much.

All hail Daryl Fitton, Augustus' Darts Champion of 2004 for the highest average...he'll be thrilled, and surprised!!

Wait. What?

No. I am saying that if there is another tournament with at least 20 players who could wipe their arse with the Lakeside "champion" and every previous champion has buggered off to their tournament(except crap ones like Kist that PDC didn't want), it is not a World Championship.If the averages are nowhere near those of the PDC it is not a World Championship.Some of the players on BDO are brilliant,but there are too many no hopers so the standard of early rounds is poor.James Wade for example has never won a World Title but he would walk the BDO,no problem as would Van Gerwin

All hail Daryl Fitton, Augustus' Darts Champion of 2004 for the highest average...he'll be thrilled, and surprised!!

Quote me where I said 3 darts average determines who is the world champion.

Doubles percentage forms a huge part of your 3 dart average. Each missed double means you score 0 for that dart. A huge dent in your 3 dart average.

And of course it matters. It is the primary stat which shows how good of a dart player you are. The only way it is skewed is if the player you are playing is better than you, which artificially raises your 3 dart average as you're not throwing at doubles much.
    Only if you are looking at 3 dart averages on a leg by leg basis will you see missed doubles make any real dent in the average. Over the course of a five set game a missed double will not even count for .5 off your average.

• Advertisement

No. I am saying that if there is another tournament with at least 20 players who could wipe their arse with the Lakeside "champion" and every previous champion has buggered off to their tournament(except crap ones like Kist that PDC didn't want), it is not a World Championship.If the averages are nowhere near those of the PDC it is not a World Championship.Some of the players on BDO are brilliant,but there are too many no hopers so the standard of early rounds is poor.James Wade for example has never won a World Title but he would walk the BDO,no problem as would Van Gerwin

What is the fixation with averages? Players who have never won a title in either code, like Fitton and Anderson, have fired in incredible averages. It's all about winning the world title...either one.

Advertisement