Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC vs BDO - Discuss

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

to many lads who started watching darts in the last year or 2 think they are experts and dont really know much

bar 4-5 players in the bdo it is a poor standard to say the least
    but it serves as a good feeder to the pdc
    i still enjoy watchin it as its old school
    altough this year it has seen new lows standard wise

i respect the bdo for what it has givin darts over the last 30 years
    all the pdc guys started there or most anyway
    since barney came over its gone downhill gradually

i cannot understand why scot waites wont come over to pdc
    he has time on his side and has ability, same with bunting
    adams time is nearly up and he picked up a few handy 100k over the years but i cant stand him

why do some people think that just because a certain bdo player beat a pdc player in the grand slam that he is
    overall a better player?? look at the chap that knocked barney out of the 1st round of the worlds last year
    does that mean he is better than the 5 time world champion?? he was for 30 mins of his life, thats it....

sc86 wrote: »
    why do some people think that just because a certain bdo player beat a pdc player in the grand slam that he is
    overall a better player?? look at the chap that knocked barney out of the 1st round of the worlds last year
    does that mean he is better than the 5 time world champion?? he was for 30 mins of his life, thats it....

The argument was made that every single one of the PDC top 30 would annihilate Kist. Every one of them. Not just win, but crush him.

I would not say Kist is better than, say, Newton, but in responding to that argument well yes, it is very much relevant to point out that Kist beat the PDC no. 7. Does that make Kist better? I don't think so, just better the time they met. Is it relevant to the suggestion that Kist would be destroyed? It very much is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Get over it.

Kist would struggle to get much higher than 30th in the PDC rankings either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭celt262

I dont think that it is fair to compare the two the difference is night and day between them now.

The PDC is where the best players will want to play because that is where the money is and the majority of players want a slice of it bar the likes of Waites who doesnt want to go full time but would be a top 16 PDC player within two years if he did switch. ( i think his wife is/was not in great health and thats why he did not move before).

All you have to do is look at the players in the last two years who have come over from the BDO and see how well they are doing now, Chizzy and Winstanley are two that are taking the PDC by storm and flying up the rankings. This is why it is wrong to compare the two as the best players are always leaving which is making the PDC stronger and the BDO weaker.

I think Kist will move over this year, it said in commentary that he was a professional dart thrower now and had quiet the day job so he will need to play somewhere he can earn decent money and that isnt the BDO.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Why are you talking like you have such a chip on your shoulder...I don't see why you are crying over this...
    See you can't even argue your case properly, you are showing your immaturity.Run along now and let the grown ups debate.
    Well you are the one being a douche and not even listening to me...
    Get over it.

Ha!

I like the "get over it" line. It doesn't bother me too much one way or the other. It's only sports. But I can disagree with the suggestion that Kist would be annihilated. Someone has a different opinion to you..."get over it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I don't understand why the BDO keep resetting their rankings every year. Every year is a different number one seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ha!

I like the "get over it" line. It doesn't bother me too much one way or the other. It's only sports. But I can disagree with the suggestion that Kist would be annihilated. Someone has a different opinion to you..."get over it".

I never said he would.

He would be a journeyman who makes the odd quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Never in my life have I seen a player throw a dart (without mishandling the dart) and for it not to even hit the board. This is something you rarely even see in pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

Never in my life have I seen a player throw a dart (without mishandling the dart) and for it not to even hit the board. This is something you rarely even see in pubs.

I watched that match live, I dont know what you're on about the dart slipped out of the mans hand, im sure thats never happened before :rolleyes:

Id say you saw this on the joe.ie fb page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the PDC since they introduced the premier league has meant the top players have got used to playing top class opponents week in week out in front of huge crowds and the standard has now gone through the roof, the BDO just cant compete. the BBC presentation is poor , the atmosphere in nothing like the PDC with 7000 less in the room . hate to use a football analogy but it is champions league vs league 1 in england

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    I don't understand why the BDO keep resetting their rankings every year. Every year is a different number one seed.
    mainly because the winner earns more money playing exhibitions and touring rather than play ranking tournaments

peteeeed wrote: »
    the atmosphere in nothing like the PDC with 7000 less in the room .

The 7,000 is really just in the PL, and while great crowds, not sure I like the atmosphere generated at all, stand up if you love the darts, Jesus, tables v chairs, whatever. For my part I would much prefer to be at Lakeside, if one goes on crowds. On the other hand of course one has to accept it is that same noisy crowd that generate such money that enables the PDC pay out so much in prize money, so it makes business sense, touring increases the profile of their brand etc. etc.

The 7,000 is really just in the PL, and while great crowds, not sure I like the atmosphere generated at all, stand up if you love the darts, Jesus, tables v chairs, whatever. For my part I would much prefer to be at Lakeside, if one goes on crowds. On the other hand of course one has to accept it is that same noisy crowd that generate such money that enables the PDC pay out so much in prize money, so it makes business sense, touring increases the profile of their brand etc. etc.
    no i was comparing the 2 world championships too . i agree some of the PDC are a bit rowdy, some of the premier league crowds topped 10,000

no i was comparing the 2 world championships too . i agree some of the PDC are a bit rowdy, some of the premier league crowds topped 10,000

Afaik, the "Ally Pally" holds nothing like 7,000, let alone 7,000 more than Lakeside.

Guessing one holds about 1k, the other bet 2 and 3k.

Afaik, the "Ally Pally" holds nothing like 7,000, let alone 7,000 more than Lakeside.

Guessing one holds about 1k, the other bet 2 and 3k.
    my apologies , just checked seating capacity of 3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Him against tony fleet would be a cracking match!!

my apologies , just checked seating capacity of 3000

Is it even that much? I was kinda thinking 2,500.

In fairness, I suspect the PDC could sell more for the latter stages of the worlds, you could probably fill a small football stadium with people who would have liked to see the Van Gerwen/Taylor clash. Sadly, as we see in darts, bigger crowds means more going for the night out and the laugh, which is no crime either, rather than just for what's on stage so they are probably right not to go down that road.

My wife did ask me if I would prefer to spend a couple of days at the Lakeside or the Ally Pally and got all excited cos I thought she was getting me a surprise, so said the Lakeside...but sadly she was just being nosey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Is it even that much? I was kinda thinking 2,500.

In fairness, I suspect the PDC could sell more for the latter stages of the worlds, you could probably fill a small football stadium with people who would have liked to see the Van Gerwen/Taylor clash. Sadly, as we see in darts, bigger crowds means more going for the night out and the laugh, which is no crime either, rather than just for what's on stage so they are probably right not to go down that road.

My wife did ask me if I would prefer to spend a couple of days at the Lakeside or the Ally Pally and got all excited cos I thought she was getting me a surprise, so said the Lakeside...but sadly she was just being nosey...

Ha Ha! Ask her in the would prefer a Caribbean cruise or 2 weeks in the South of France........then bring her to Courtown!:D I would prefer the atmosphere in Lakeside myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

athmosphere of lakeside with talent of pdc would be epic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

the PDC since they introduced the premier league has meant the top players have got used to playing top class opponents week in week out in front of huge crowds and the standard has now gone through the roof, the BDO just cant compete. the BBC presentation is poor , the atmosphere in nothing like the PDC with 7000 less in the room . hate to use a football analogy but it is champions league vs league 1 in england

Thankfully, I enjoy the PDC but the fans are complete morons and sometimes ruin good games with their twattery.

Always have time for BDO but the standard is obviously lower, having said that I think the better players don't have to raise their game either as they are not being pushed by the non pros. For all the talking down about the BDO, only 1 of the PDC top ten (discounting Lewis) have won it and they all came from the BDO.

• Advertisement

fitton v dunning last night was the first game ive seen where there was a bit of consistency with good scoring and check outs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 banjodarts

bdo promotes the amateur game such as county darts in uk without these you wouldn't see the players that are there now

• Registered Users Posts: 2 banjodarts

bdo runs the county dart scene in uk without that there wouldnt b the darts we have now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

The inter county all irelands are currently on in ennis. It should be the best of the best from each county playing against each other but because the indo is affiliated with the bdo, wexford are missing martin murphy, Limerick are missing connie finnan & willie o Connor, dublin are without glenn spearing and im sure there are other players are missing aswel Because they play Iin the pdc.

Silly rule in my opinion as all players, no matter what organisation they are affiliated to should be allowed to represent their county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

banjodarts wrote: »
    bdo runs the county dart scene in uk without that there wouldnt b the darts we have now
    Everybody knows that. BDO run the county game, but were completely negligent in their running of the professional game, hence the reason why the PDC was created and hence why there is now so much darts on tv.

County darts is still motoring along, and can be a good stepping stone to the professional game. But there are more and more top players now who played very little, and some none at all, county darts.

Advertisement