Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning with slight back injury

Options
  • 05-01-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Long story short i can only sit for 5-6 hours per day on a soft chair with a back support so ive got to take the distance learning approach....had a back injury/surguries and am on disability allowence..........

I cannot wrap the concept of distance learning around my head even though ive been on computers for 20 years and am only interested in some sort of IT,web design course.........seems weird getting a degree etc from your homeand doing the tests at the centres,dunno,im 30 maybe this whole distance learning thing just passed me byconfused.png

Is it just better to call into FAS for advice or to ring up the actual colleges themselves....or both?

IT sligo looks good even though im from Cork but i guess that doesnt matter hence "distance learning"

Anyone know any other colleges for mainly IT related distance learning courses or reccomend IT sligo with some experiance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dannyo666

Been checking out vids etc...looks great
    Contacted itsligo.....still awaiting a response....:eek:

Really dont want to make a hasty decision here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

dannyo666 wrote: »
    seems weird getting a degree etc from your homeand doing the tests at the centres,dunno,im 30 maybe this whole distance learning thing just passed me byconfused.png

Is it just better to call into FAS for advice or to ring up the actual colleges themselves....or both?

hehehe - Im in the final year of a Philosophy Degree from University of London and also doing Astrophysics with Liverpool John Moores University. It is weird but you get used to it. I have a bricks and mortar degree and post grad, so I have experienced it from both sides and tbh Ive been far more studious when not distracted by freshers week, thursday nights in the students union bar etc!!! Im nearly 40 btw.

Different approaches from different universities. Philosophy = do all the work yourself and sit exams at centres in May. Astrophysics = continuous assessment including outdoor practical work with binoculars/telescope and then online multi choice exam at end of module.

I have personally found the distance learning universities in Ireland to be a bit on the pricey side any time I have investigated them. Costs habe gone up hugely for Open University, they have effectively priced themselves out of the market. University of London is very affordable and a good institution for accreditation. Ive also come across some interesting and affordable courses in Wales and Scotland and other UK universities.

Unfortunately its never easy to find what is available as distance learning is new-ish and there is no central place that has info on everything available. Fas will not be any help tbh, they looked at me blankly when I told them I was distance learning.

I generally just search using google and check out different known university websites - its a bit of a pain because you have to filter out the rubbish (ie, not accredited stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dannyo666

Cheers for the answer,im looking for web design courses to be precise and my searches have taken me from Ireland,UK,Germany and back again...:)but ya the prices per module here are scandalous compared to the rest of Europe

Its crazy out there!!
    Im lost...
    Really dont want to spend money I literally have to borrow and make a wrong decision...ahhh life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Just be careful you do something that has the proper accreditation or its money down the drain.

Advertisement