Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

responsive images

Options
  • 05-01-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, am trying to make my images shrink scale themselves down so the website displays correctly, am using a flexi box webkit for the main website and was wondering how do i get the images to scale? is it css or should i be looking at some jquery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

This might be of use.
    http://css-tricks.com/which-responsive-images-solution-should-you-use/

Alternatively, I'd ask for a link to the site and the specific images.

If you don't feel like sharing the site, share an example via codepen or something.

I find it sometimes hard to give arbitrary advice on a specific requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

i'm recoding my own site into a html5 site www.wmdmedia.ie when the sites viewed on a phone the images go 2 up 2 down on a phone

want to get it so as they display straight across

So what you want is the 4 #buttons to display horizontally on a phone, rather than vertically?

At the moment it's like this: (img will expire in 3 days Edit: or sooner, apparently :P)

1299234?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1357405758&Signature=E8unFmiCCrfdUTrJyaBhDD4xojo%3D

So you want them to all be inline?

Like this:

1299254?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1357406124&Signature=rXfVmtz2Hb3VBIBVd1gPUbvYCws%3D

Excuse the rest of the content in the image above. As you can see in the above image it displays differently on a phone, I'm using it purely for illustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

KonFusion wrote: »
    So what you want is the 4 #buttons to display horizontally on a phone, rather than vertically?

At the moment it's like this: (img will expire in 3 days)

1299234?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1357405758&Signature=E8unFmiCCrfdUTrJyaBhDD4xojo%3D

So you want them to all be inline?

Like this:

1299254?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1357406124&Signature=rXfVmtz2Hb3VBIBVd1gPUbvYCws%3D

Excuse the rest of the content in the image above. As you can see in the above image it displays differently on a phone, I'm using it purely for illustration.

exactly!! and the rest of the content to squeeze down with it.

how did you get it to display like that?

exactly!! and the rest of the content to squeeze down with it.

how did you get it to display like that?

#buttons img {
    max-width: 69px; *
    padding-left: 6px; **
    }

#buttons {
    position: relative;
    padding: 30px 0px 25px 0px;
    max-width: 100%;
    }

It's not a proper solution though as the images aren't responsive, I just made them smaller to fit in the container, so to emulate that and also make them responsive, make the changes below, and tweak it to suit your needs.

* So change that to max-width: 22%;
    ** And that to 1%; (or 2%, can't remember now)

Remember, em's and %'s are your friend. Not px's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

If your redesigning you should check out http://www.responsivegridsystem.com/

I find it to be a very straightforward way of making things responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

Combining Whartman's Base framework with the Responsive Slide .js should give you the result you're looking for.

http://matthewhartman.github.com/base/

http://responsive-slides.viljamis.com/

Advertisement