Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bank card was skimmed.

• 05-01-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I used the AIB atm in Castletroy Shopping Centre yesterday to order a statement. Last night a payment for €6.40 was taken to pay an eflow tag. I'm not registered with eflow nor have I been on the m50 in months.

It's been reported to AIB and the fraud team and card has been cancelled. Just wanted to give a heads up as apparantly this is how it happens: a small transaction first to test the account and then they clean you out.

Thankfully enough I'm skint and usually know to the cent what's in there :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Do you mean the Parkway shopping centre or the Superquinn one? Thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

dcmm wrote: »
    Do you mean the Parkway shopping centre or the Superquinn one? Thanks for the warning.

Castletroy SC. Yeah, where Superquinn is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Thanks for that,glad you were'nt stung by the scorpions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is what they do, they skim it, then take a small enough amount to check it works and the owner doesn't take any notice and then they take a large amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Same happened to a relative of mine last year with card skimming- apparently an e-flow payment is used a lot by thieves as a way to test your card before trying for a larger amount- it shows you how important it is to keep a close eye on transactions on statements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Just out of curiosity, if it were to happen you fall on a scam like this and you lose a few grand would the bank work to get your cash back or are you basically screwed at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

Limericks wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, if it were to happen you fall on a scam like this and you lose a few grand would the bank work to get your cash back or are you basically screwed at that point?

I could be wrong on this but, as far as I know, credit cards and visa debit are insured for all transactions including theft and fraud but not you're normal bank debit cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Again shows the importance of covering the keypad , when entering your pin number .

Is it true that a skimmed card is useless without the pin number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭plumber77

Yeah correct.I had 1400 euro taken out of my account last year through card skimming. 700 before midnight,total daily allowance and another 700 just after midnight. Full amount refunded thank god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is that not a new atmosphere? The one with the protection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

mud wrote: »
    I used the AIB atm in Castletroy Shopping Centre yesterday to order a statement. Last night a payment for €6.40 was taken to pay an eflow tag. I'm not registered with eflow nor have I been on the m50 in months.

It's been reported to AIB and the fraud team and card has been cancelled. Just wanted to give a heads up as apparantly this is how it happens: a small transaction first to test the account and then they clean you out.

Thankfully enough I'm skint and usually know to the cent what's in there :)

Do you remember when you used the ATM?I do be in there a bit and use the ATM the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If the thieves, and that is what they are, used an e-flow payment to test the skimmed details, then surely the Gardai could get the company that operates the toll system to check that payment to see when it originally occured at the toll point and then check the cameras to get the vehicle reg of whatever drove through at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Kess73 wrote: »
    If the thieves, and that is what they are, used an e-flow payment to test the skimmed details, then surely the Gardai could get the company that operates the toll system to check that payment to see when it originally occured at the toll point and then check the cameras to get the vehicle reg of whatever drove through at that time.

I would guess they pay for a random car not there own one.

Do you remember when you used the ATM?I do be in there a bit and use the ATM the odd time.

It was Friday just gone at approximately 4pm :)
    Kess73 wrote: »

It's in the hands of the fraud team now. Hopefully they'll be able to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Vuzuggu wrote: »

I would guess they pay for a random car not there own one.
    or fake plates? Otherwise you could track them down or the reg could be flagged in garda ANPR system...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

This happened to me on a AIB credit card and it was the bank that picked it up before I even got the credit card statement. They noticed two charges - one for something like 79c to Google and then one for an internet food-to-go type bill of about €17 and so they stopped the card.

I tried to use it to get petrol the day the bank stopped it and it was refused. I was a bit miffed and called them and they explained about the two suspicious transactions. I agreed that the two charges weren't mine and asked how they could possibly know and they said they have a team that monitors credit card usage and this was outside my normal pattern so they stopped the card.

I was well impressed that they picked this up so fast. They refunded the money and issued me with a new card that came 2 days later,

I think the card was duplicated or skimmed at a hotel in Tralee, remember using it to pay a lunch bill and there was something just not right about the way the transaction was dealt with but not enough to set the alarm bells going, just a hunch.

Fair play to the AIB for picking it up - I wouldn't generally be the first to rate them very highly but their credit card centre was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

fleabag wrote: »
    This happened to me on a AIB credit card and it was the bank that picked it up before I even got the credit card statement. They noticed two charges - one for something like 79c to Google and then one for an internet food-to-go type bill of about €17 and so they stopped the card.

I tried to use it to get petrol the day the bank stopped it and it was refused. I was a bit miffed and called them and they explained about the two suspicious transactions. I agreed that the two charges weren't mine and asked how they could possibly know and they said they have a team that monitors credit card usage and this was outside my normal pattern so they stopped the card.

I was well impressed that they picked this up so fast. They refunded the money and issued me with a new card that came 2 days later,

I think the card was duplicated or skimmed at a hotel in Tralee, remember using it to pay a lunch bill and there was something just not right about the way the transaction was dealt with but not enough to set the alarm bells going, just a hunch.

Fair play to the AIB for picking it up - I wouldn't generally be the first to rate them very highly but their credit card centre was brilliant.

+1 on this - I happened to buy a specific song on itunes, and they called me to tell me my card was cancelled and to check if I knew about the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

plumber77 wrote: »
    Yeah correct.I had 1400 euro taken out of my account last year through card skimming. 700 before midnight,total daily allowance and another 700 just after midnight. Full amount refunded thank god!

So everyone was a winner!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Itsdacraic wrote: »

If you don't want to add to a discussion feel free not to post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Itsdacraic wrote: »

No. If the money is taken from your credit card you will get it back, but if ffrom a debit card you won't. That's why the banks have 24 hr security scanning for unusual transactions on credit cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

liammur wrote: »
    No. If the money is taken from your credit card you will get it back, but if ffrom a debit card you won't. That's why the banks have 24 hr security scanning for unusual transactions on credit cards.

I was talking about the specific scenario above, but I stupidly forgot that anything tongue in cheek is forbidden around here, and if you are trying to make a subtle joke you are probably better off explaining it in brackets underneath.

I'm getting the money back. It'll take a week or two but I'm definitely getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I'm getting the money back. It'll take a week or two but I'm definitely getting it.

That's good anyway, and thanks for alerting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

What sort of card do you use? Visa debit or credit, mastercard or just a regular old bank card /laser?

Just interested as from time to time I would have an excess on cash in my current account with a visa debit attached to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Mc Love wrote: »
    +1 on this - I happened to buy a specific song on itunes, and they called me to tell me my card was cancelled and to check if I knew about the purchase.
    I believe they've started policing the charts now, its illegal to purchase your own songs to bump up its chart position. Bravo AIB credit card watchdogs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Clareman wrote: »
    If you don't want to add to a discussion feel free not to post

Ah here it was clearly a joke

Limericks wrote: »
    What sort of card do you use? Visa debit or credit, mastercard or just a regular old bank card /laser?

Just interested as from time to time I would have an excess on cash in my current account with a visa debit attached to it.

It was a lazer card but it's being replaced with a visa debit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

I got a call from Tesco finance last week questioning some transactions, one for a dollar which went thru' & one for $686 which they blocked. Someone was trying to buy something from Apple in the states. I hadn't used the card since july or august so not sure when or where my details got taken. Fair play to them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

fleabag wrote: »

Hi fleabag,Just wondering what happend on this general transaction, Pretty bad if it was the actual hotel? :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's a ludicrously insecure technology when you think about it. I'm amazed the banks haven't moved on to something more than a simple card number system.

The new online security systems that require a password are still not universally used either which makes them a bit pointless!

You'd think given the technology we have available to us. I mean, I'm posting this on a mobile while drinking a coffee.. You would seriously think the banks would roll out something higher tech!

Advertisement