Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bank card was skimmed.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Hi fleabag,Just wondering what happend on this general transaction, Pretty bad if it was the actual hotel? :O

Hi Bummer1234, I don't think it was the hotel as I've been there a couple of times before that without incident. The person processing the card swiped it (it was the old system where you have to sign the receipt) and then turned his back to me with the card in his hand and then turned around, gave me the card and my printout. It felt a bit odd but of course I thought I was being a bit paranoid and just took the card and left and thought nothing more about it until a couple of days later.

Of course, I could be completely wrong too - it might have been completely innocent. I buy a bit of stuff off the internet now and again so maybe it was copied there somehow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

fleabag wrote: »
    Hi Bummer1234, I don't think it was the hotel as I've been there a couple of times before that without incident. The person processing the card swiped it (it was the old system where you have to sign the receipt) and then turned his back to me with the card in his hand and then turned around, gave me the card and my printout. It felt a bit odd but of course I thought I was being a bit paranoid and just took the card and left and thought nothing more about it until a couple of days later.

Of course, I could be completely wrong too - it might have been completely innocent. I buy a bit of stuff off the internet now and again so maybe it was copied there somehow?

Sounds like you have every right to be suspicious of that, These things do literally only take seconds to do and good spotting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

liammur wrote: »
    No. If the money is taken from your credit card you will get it back, but if ffrom a debit card you won't. That's why the banks have 24 hr security scanning for unusual transactions on credit cards.

Not true. I got money taken out of my laser debit card a few months ago, and AIB returned it to me.

Like a previous poster, I am no fan of AIB, but their fraud department is excellent. I'm terrible for reading statements etc. I got a phone call one day from AIB telling me I had unusual transactions from my account. Someone had used my card spending €450 in PC world, and €250 in O2! I have no idea how AIB knew it was fraudelent activity, as they wouldn't have been very unusual transactions for me to be making. The money was back in my account in about three weeks. Ever since then, I read my statements religiously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Just an update. I've received my new card and the money has been credited back to my account.

A couple of days after the original fraudulent transaction a SECOND eflow payment was almost taken but was stopped by the bank.

It really pays to keep an eye on the old account :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Clareman wrote: »

If you don't want to add to a discussion feel free not to post

Why so serious?

• Advertisement
Advertisement