Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformer for recessed light charred

Options
  • 05-01-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

One of the recessed lights was unreliable, flickering and sometimes not on at all.
    I replaced the bulb with no improvement and so I took out the transformer to investigate and it was charred, bits had fallen off and I could see part of the coil.

The transformer is:
    AURORA
    20-60W
    11.4V 5A

I removed it and I'm going to hopefully replace it with this:
    ET-PARROT 105/240 I
    11.7V
    Electronic Transformer 35-105W

The house is about 5-6 years old and I checked another transformer and it was fine. I'll post a picture of the burnt transformer.

Just a few questions:
    1. Is it more likely that the transformer was faulty or that it overheated because of the space between the joints?
    2. Is my replacement suitable or should I get an exact or closer match to the original. (There was also and earth connected on the Prim side of the original and there is no earth connection on my transformers)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johninho

Photo of burnt transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don't bother replacing it, just get a gu10 led

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

I've seen lots of damage like this where the transformer was directly above the bulb which gets extremely hot.New type Leds are also dimmable but you will need a bulb holder as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if there was adequate ventilation around trafo and distance from halogen bulb, it was prob. faulty

trafo should prob. have thermal protection anyhow

as above- i'd consider swopping them out for mains led if it was my house

Advertisement