Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney Marathon 2013: Sub 3hr Log

• 05-01-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

“We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.” – Emil Zatopek

After following these forums and reading the logs for the past few months and for a bit of extra motivation I have decided to sign up and to start my own for 2013. As a novice runner with fairly ambitious goals any advice/feedback/comments would be very much appreciated.

Background
    24 year old male, started running in July 2012 after many years of limited exercise and heavy drinking. First marathon on Sept 1 2012 in Dingle with a goal of under 4hrs. Found it very tough (longest run in training was 15 miles) but enjoyed myself immensely and finished in 3:51, was instantly hooked and signed up for Dublin the following morning. Goal for Dublin was under 3:30 after some (at best) unstructured training, literally fell over the line in 3:27, couldn't walk after it but felt great. Ran two 10ks after Dublin with a PB of 41:28.

Goals for 2013
    Hoping to do the Tralee marathon in March in under 3:15, then Sydney in September in under 3 hours. Emigrating to Brisbane in May so should have some time to adjust to the climate. Would also like to run a 10k under 40 minutes this year but that's a secondary goal.

Training
    My main aim also for 2013 is to get some proper structure to my training, I am currently doing the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 programme http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51140/Marathon-Intermediate-2-Training-Program, training midweek on treadmill mainly, with weekend running a mixture of road, cross-country and beach. Using a Garmin without HRM, also thinking of investing in a decent pair of runners although I have become somewhat emotionally attached to my battered pair of €50 Asics. Luckily no real injuries so far, and I hope to keep it that way.

Although I haven't been running very long it has really improved my quality of life, I find I'm a lot happier, healthier and relaxed since I started. The aim of this log is to share my experiences as I push on and try to improve and hopefully to get some good advice from those more experienced on here. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dry_runner

Long slow run this morning on fairly hilly loop on countryside trails in miserable weather, feeling a bit heavy and slow after a lazy Christmas.

Distance: 17.2 Miles
    Time: 2:42
    Average Pace: 8m49s/mile

Tue 8 Jan
    Treadmill run, I find these more difficult than road running, mainly because the gym I use is hotter than hell and the boredom factor, but a necessary evil at the moment.
    Distance: 4 Miles
    Average Pace: 8m/mile

Wed 9 Jan
    Nice relaxed evening run around the northside of Limerick city.
    Distance: 8.06 Miles
    Time: 1:01:24
    Average Pace: 7m37s/mile

Thur 10 Jan
    Back on the treadmill ...
    Average Pace: 7m30/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck, will be lurking intently.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Best of luck. Australia is superb a great place to train in. Arriving in May, the weather should not be too bad for you for the first few months.

Sun 13 Jan
    13m run at near marathon pace on the beach this morning, slow to start but felt ok after about 5 or so miles. Lucky to have one of the longest beaches in the country (over 12 miles) practically on my doorstep. Pic attached taken in November.

Distance: 13.08 Miles
    Time: 1:34:48
    Average Pace: 7m14s/mile

Mileage for week: 29.14
    Mileage year to date: 52.56

• Advertisement

Tue 15 Jan
    Treadmill run.
    Average Pace: 7m36s/mile

Wed 16 Jan
    Treadmill run.
    Average Pace: 7m19s/mile

Thur 16 Jan
    Street running circa 5 mile loop in Limerick
    Distance: 9.91 Miles
    Time: 1:016:38
    Average Pace: 7m44s/mile

Sat 19 Jan
    Pace run on beach
    Distance: 9.10 Miles
    Time: 1:10:34
    Average Pace: 7m19s/mile

Sun 20 Jan
    Was aiming for a good cross-country LSR but weather was against me, bitterly cold with sleet and near gale force winds got the better of me after only 8 miles, must do better next week..
    Distance: 8.36 Miles
    Time: 1:22:58
    Average Pace: 9m55s/mile

Mileage for week: 35.37
    Mileage year to date: 87.93

Advertisement