Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does this mean

Options
  • 05-01-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

It keeps comping up everytime my computer starts.

iexplorer.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close application.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It means as you probably have deducted yourself that Internet Explorer isn't working correctly.

Can you start and work in IE?
    Do you have many add-ons?

You can try a reset, will wipe all IE settings.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16365/reset-all-internet-explorer-8-settings-to-fix-stability-problems/

What more can you tell us? IE version, OS version? Did you recently update Windows? Any new service packs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Time to install Google Chrome (and use that for browsing) and maybe run a virus scan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Time to install Google Chrome (and use that for browsing) and maybe run a virus scan.

Helpful responses answering the OP only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

biko wrote: »
    It means as you probably have deducted yourself that Internet Explorer isn't working correctly.

Can you start and work in IE?
    Do you have many add-ons?

You can try a reset, will wipe all IE settings.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16365/reset-all-internet-explorer-8-settings-to-fix-stability-problems/

What more can you tell us? IE version, OS version? Did you recently update Windows? Any new service packs?

Yes I can start IE. Don't have that many add-ons. I have IE8, Windows 7, didn't recently update windows. no new service packs. Oh yeah I forgot to include I try resetting before and nothing. Still the message keeps coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Why do you have iexplorer starting at boot up? Take it out of your startup sequence and just start it when you want to use it.

It could just be starting too early in the boot sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

FSL wrote: »
    Why do you have iexplorer starting at boot up? Take it out of your startup sequence and just start it when you want to use it.

It could just be starting too early in the boot sequence.

Sorry I shoud've explained more. It's not in my startup. It's just when my computer starts that message comes up. Never happened before

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

iexplore.exe is a part of windows operating system and could be starting up as part of windows depending on your configuration (it can be called by another process during startup).

I'd say to run a couple virus scans just to be sure and see if you can figure out what software was installed at the time when it started happening.
    If you feel confident you can disable certain startup processes and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

iexplore.exe is a part of windows operating system and could be starting up as part of windows depending on your configuration (it can be called by another process during startup).

I'd say to run a couple virus scans just to be sure and see if you can figure out what software was installed at the time when it started happening.
    If you feel confident you can disable certain startup processes and see if that helps.
    try system restore

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Didn't the EU and US DOJ tell Microsoft to decouple their browser (IE) from the OS as a result of the antitrust investigation?

The act of preloading some of their own s/w with no reference to the user is nothing new for Microsoft. Many years ago when there was a battle royal going on between MS Office and Lotus Smartsuite, it was discovered that at boot time, Windows was set to preload a sizeable chunk of the Office s/w so that when the user then clicked to start Word or Excel, it started much faster than someone with similar h/w running Lotus SmartSuite (1-2-3 & WordPro) because most of the s/w was already sitting in memory.

Microsoft is probably now playing the same game in the battle of the browsers.

OP, install IE9...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

Advertisement