Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Blue cats

• 05-01-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anyone know why are they so hard to come by in Ireland? I have been looking for one for ages but never see them advertised for sale or adoption anywhere. I know there is one breeder in Limerick but even they don't seem to have any of that particular breed (and they are very expensive) Why are they so rare and does anyone know of anywhere I could find one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

The breeder in Limerick seems to have a few very young girls so you might find that she will have a litter or two from the summer on, depending on how early her girls go into call.

They are a very new breed to Ireland and tbh there are not alot on show in the uk either. Unlike dog breeds cat breeds tend to be very slow with becoming popular as people dont visit the shows to see the breeds and not a lot of people can determine cat breeds. Ireland has a very small community of cat breeders ( registered, ethical ones). At a show here you might have 100 cats, in the uk anything up to 800 cats.

With a breed like the russian blue your choices are to contact the breeder in Limerick and ask to be placed on the waiting list or look for breeders in the uk. But tbh be prepared to wait for a kitten.
    Breeders will charge depending on how much it cost them for their breeding cats ( the ones in ireland a are imported and that would cost a lot of money), they might have to travel to the uk for outside stud, the rareness of the breed, how easy or hard they are to breed. So i imagine you are probably talking about €800 or so for a kitten.
    Kitten are very expensive, a good breeder should be willing to explain the expenses of having and raising a litter. Kittens are also kept for 5 weeks longer than a puppy ( GCCFI rule is 13 weeks) and at that age they are eating a breeder out of house and home so that has to factor into the price.

You wont find any in rescue.

I can try and find info on UK breeders if you wish to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah, finding decent cat breeders here is a bit of a hit & miss affair.

I love British Shorthairs,and have been on the lookout for one for a while. I had a BSH/Persian X myself (he looked like a black version of Bagpuss!) who sadly passed a couple of years ago, and trying to find a decent breeder here is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I did find one in Tipp who seems decent, but she doesn't have the blue that I want - she has lilac and cream.

Next stop is to start haunting cat shows and see if I can get a breeder there. You could try that OP. Failing that, get hold of a decent breeder in the UK and bring one over. That looks like what I'll be doing...

P.S - I like Russian Blues too! Lovely cats and very individual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 immusic

Thank you both for the speedy replies.

I knew they would be expensive but I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay €800 for a kitten :eek: so it looks like I'll have to revert back to searching rescue sites or the dreaded Done Deal to find myself an alternative. I'm disappointed though, because from what I had read of the Russian Blue personality, I thought we would be ideally suited.

I'm looking for a nice indoor cat and I've been surprised at how hard it's been to find one. From the amount of spay & neuter ads I've seen, I thought the country was awash with unwanted kittens, but apparently not (I suppose that means the ads are working then :)).

OP - Have you tried the Russian Blue Organisation in the UK? They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sometimes, they might even have cats to be re-homed.

ABajaninCork.
    We have a few very good BSH breeders in Ireland but the british blue is the most popular of the the bsh breed and so you will find that there is a waiting list with most breeders and of course the breeder will want to match the right kitten to the right home. My advice is look at the bsh breeders on the sabcci website and choose your breeder ( and of course the breeder has to choose you too) and wait for the right kitten. Some of the breeders only breed on a small scale too and this will make the wait longer.

There are some fantastic bsh breeders in the uk, again the population and popularity of cats and cat shows makes the difference but most will also have a waiting list for a british blue. Plus you have to factor in a visit over to meet kittens and breeder and then the flight over and back to collect kitten plus the travel expenses for the kitten.

show season starts in feb, Limerick 17th feb. another one in NI in march, dublin 16/17th march, dublin end of april, dundalk end of may. Pop along to one and meet some breeders and have a chat.

I have been waiting for another cat from a breeder and have been waiting over a yr now for the right one. I will wait until the breeder is happy and I am happy, i'm in no rush.

• Advertisement

Yes, I've found a few through the UK. Although not listed on the SABCCI site, I was put in touch with a BSH breeder here in Cork via someone in the UK. This breeder has silver tabby and black BSH which I am also interested in, but the breeder doesn't seem to be too well known.

I would be prepared to travel home to the UK to find the right kitten, so no problem there. In no rush like yourself Themadhouse! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

immusic wrote: »
    Thank you both for the speedy replies.

I knew they would be expensive but I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay €800 for a kitten :eek: so it looks like I'll have to revert back to searching rescue sites or the dreaded Done Deal to find myself an alternative. I'm disappointed though, because from what I had read of the Russian Blue personality, I thought we would be ideally suited.

I'm looking for a nice indoor cat and I've been surprised at how hard it's been to find one. From the amount of spay & neuter ads I've seen, I thought the country was awash with unwanted kittens, but apparently not (I suppose that means the ads are working then :)).
    :eek:My God I can't believe that you're serious, the country has a kitten crisis with most shelters struggling to cope and you seem disappointed that you can't find a suitable free pedigree kitten to adopt:mad:

:eek:My God I can't believe that you're serious, the country has a kitten crisis with most shelters struggling to cope and you seem disappointed that you can't find a suitable free pedigree kitten to adopt:mad:

Of course the OP is serious. Why shouldn't they look for a pedigree kitten to adopt? :confused:

Personally, I'm sick of the bandwaggoners jumping on posters who express a preference for pedigree pets. If the OP wanted a rescue moggy, I'm sure they would've said so!!

I'm not looking for a "free pedigree kitten" as you put it, and did not express that desire at any point in any of my posts.

I was looking for a particular breed that I feel would suit me and my circumstances (which I would be quite happy to pay for) and in the absence of finding this breed, I have expressed disappointment at not being able to find an indoor cat of silmilar temperament in any of the local shelters to adopt.

I have checked local shelters regularly over the past five months or so and they have had almost no new cats up for adoption since then, so maybe there is a "kitten crisis" in your area but not in mine, it would appear. If my circumstances were different, I would happily adopt any of the available cats I have seen but I can only provide an indoor home at present and I won't offer an unsuitable home to an animal just for the sake of being seen to be doing the right thing in some people's eyes.

Also, if it makes you feel better, I have explained my circumstances and what I am looking for to one of the local shelters and they have put me on a list and will be in contact when a suitable cat comes to them. They told me they have a long waiting list and cannot keep up with the demand for rescue cats!

Where abouts are you based btw op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I was looking for a particular breed that I feel would suit me and my circumstances (which I would be quite happy to pay for) and in the absence of finding this breed, I have expressed disappointment at not being able to find an indoor cat of silmilar temperament in any of the local shelters to adopt.

OP, you absolutely cannot guarantee the temperament of a domestic cat based on its breed. A cat's temperament is even more variable than a dog's, and is absolutely down to nuture and barely nature.

If you're after a specific pedigree because of a desire for temperament as opposed to appearance, I'd worry that you'll end up with a kitten who just doesn't fit the bill.

I have no problem with people who buy or seek to buy pets from registered, responsible breeders. Registered, responsible breeders are not the ones filling the shelters with unwanted pets (and indeed, if the demand for pets from registered, responsible breeders falls away, then even they will no longer breed and we'll be left with nothing except backyard investors and the shelters who clean up after them). However, if you're after temperament specifically you might be better off seeking a mature cat from a cat-specific rescue near you that runs a foster programme. (I know you're on the waiting lists, but one that runs a foster programme may be able to match you with a suitable cat more quickly.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Here's a photo of Mouse
    DSC_1824.jpg
    Mouse is a kitten we rescued with the intention of rehoming once she recovered, but she is staying.
    Her parents are feral cats, no particular type, and she was near dead at 4 or 5 weeks old when we caught her. She is an amazing cat now about 5 months old.

Many people love the colour, we had 14 offers of homes for her all due to her colouring and fluffiness, but she has an amazing personality too.

My point is, if you like the colouring and are happy to rescue, do it!
    Kitten season begins in April or may, call around rescues early, keep in touch with them, you will find a blue kitten, but personality depends on the cat.

Of course the OP is serious. Why shouldn't they look for a pedigree kitten to adopt? :confused:

Personally, I'm sick of the bandwaggoners jumping on posters who express a preference for pedigree pets. If the OP wanted a rescue moggy, I'm sure they would've said so!!
    I don't have an issue with the OP wanting a pedigree cat. I do however take exception to the scathingly dismissive comment that they made regarding the cats and kittens needing homes. In my opinion it was an absolutely ignorant and ill informed remark and it is offensive to the work done by the people who dedicate their time going out in all weathers and at all hours to help the many abandoned and feral cats in this country.

Personally I'm not a fan of breeding but that is my personal opinion

I'm not looking for a "free pedigree kitten" as you put it, and did not express that desire at any point in any of my posts.

I have checked local shelters regularly over the past five months or so and they have had almost no new cats up for adoption since then, so maybe there is a "kitten crisis" in your area but not in mine, it would appear. If my circumstances were different, I would happily adopt any of the available cats I have seen but I can only provide an indoor home at present and I won't offer an unsuitable home to an animal just for the sake of being seen to be doing the right thing in some people's eyes.

Also, if it makes you feel better, I have explained my circumstances and what I am looking for to one of the local shelters and they have put me on a list and will be in contact when a suitable cat comes to them. They told me they have a long waiting list and cannot keep up with the demand for rescue cats!
    It was the tone of your post that I take exception to, not the fact that you have a preference for a breed. You made a totally dismissive comment that to me, makes little of a huge problem for cats and rescues in this country. I found your attitude ignorant to be perfectly frank. People dedicate their lives to helping cats who find themselves in desperate situations and you come along with an ill informed attitude and make a remark that dismisses the problem that rescues face every day. There are many rescues in this country that are so overwhelmed that they can no longer accept any more cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It was the tone of your post that I take exception to, not the fact that you have a preference for a breed. You made a totally dismissive comment that to me, makes little of a huge problem for cats and rescues in this country. I found your attitude ignorant to be perfectly frank. People dedicate their lives to helping cats who find themselves in desperate situations and you come along with an ill informed attitude and make a remark that dismisses the problem that rescues face every day. There are many rescues in this country that are so overwhelmed that they can no longer accept any more cats.

I think you're reading way too much into the OP's comments: they have clarified what they meant.

I don't have an issue with the OP wanting a pedigree cat. I do however take exception to the scathingly dismissive comment that they made regarding the cats and kittens needing homes. In my opinion it was an absolutely ignorant and ill informed remark and it is offensive to the work done by the people who dedicate their time going out in all weathers and at all hours to help the many abandoned and feral cats in this country.

Personally I'm not a fan of breeding but that is my personal opinion

I apologise if you or anybody else took offense from any remarks I may have made. As I have since tried to clarify, I made any remarks purely in relation to my local shelters (who "can't keep up with demand" - their words, not mine) and I did not intend my comments to be dismissive towards people who work with or care for any animals, rescue or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

OP have you tried any shelters outside your local area? They might have the kind of kitten you're looking for. Maybe just ring round a few places and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I apologise if you or anybody else took offense from any remarks I may have made. As I have since tried to clarify, I made any remarks purely in relation to my local shelters (who "can't keep up with demand" - their words, not mine) and I did not intend my comments to be dismissive towards people who work with or care for any animals, rescue or otherwise.
    This is fantastic news - I'd genuinely love to know where if you could pm me, as I know 3 local rescues at bursting point who could really help them keep up with demand.
    I don't know anything about that particular cat breed, but I would caution you to research into any inherited diseases they might have. I say this as the owner of a cat with persian blood, who is living a life of misery right now because of inherited conditions. I wouldn't wish it on any cat lover, so be careful.

There are no known health issues with the russian blue, they seem to be a very healthy breed.
    Some might have pkd coming from outcrossing to the british blue after ww2 ( bsh got it from outcrossing to persians). If there is a pkd problem the breed club will be able to inform.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

mymo wrote: »
    Here's a photo of Mouse
    DSC_1824.jpg
    Mouse is a kitten we rescued with the intention of rehoming once she recovered, but she is staying.
    Her parents are feral cats, no particular type, and she was near dead at 4 or 5 weeks old when we caught her. She is an amazing cat now about 5 months old.

Many people love the colour, we had 14 offers of homes for her all due to her colouring and fluffiness, but she has an amazing personality too.

My point is, if you like the colouring and are happy to rescue, do it!
    Kitten season begins in April or may, call around rescues early, keep in touch with them, you will find a blue kitten, but personality depends on the cat.

Wow what a beautiful cat! We had a lil guy like that 2 years ago, so beautiful! He died on the road when he was about 16 weeks old. Broke my heart :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss Congeniality

Wowsers - theres a little tension in here.
    IMHO, whether the OP rescues or buys a cat is really none of our business - who are we to tell anyone how they should obtain a pet.....(well so long as its legal:D) And from their posts here, the OP seems to be trying to use a reputable breeder or any rescues in her/his location. Honestly, I'm more worried by people who mistreat their pets ( and not saying OP does, just pointing out that there are more important things to worry about).

however OP I can't help but feel that maybe by limiting your options to a russian blue you could be missing out on some wonderful companions....
    DON'T GET ME WRONG - I also had a beautiful Russian Blue cat for 4yrs who i adored beyond reason but alas she died from kidney failure - however I have had her son, a black cat, for 11yrs now and I absolutely adore him. We also have had two other rescue cats who we adore - often I find that rescued animals seem to acknowledge their being given a second chance and seem grateful for a good and safe home.... hope that doesn't sound as weird as I think it does...
    I have also had tabbys, domestic short-hairs and long-haired cats, a tortiseshell and a ginger cat.... very much like people-you can't stereotype them....they each have their own personalities and yet have similiarities as well....However, if you do decide to stick with a Russian Blue, best of luck - cats are brilliant and just the best pet ever:D

Sorry for rambling....:o

What some people don't seem to have picked up on, is that I started out looking for a RB not realising they were so hard to come by (see my original post - it was just a simple question) and I then switched my search for a pet to any breed - preferably one that I liked the look of and that I thought would suit my living arrangements - in local shelters.

I had decided to stick with local shelters in order to support people in my own neighbourhood/surrounding area. However, as my local shelters are very rural, they had advertised the cats they do have, as being farm cats suitable for living in barns or sheds i.e. unsuitable to me and not what i was looking for.

Since then, on the advice I was given, I have searched further afield and checked urban shelters and I am happy to say that have seen some cats that I am definitely interested in and that are far more suitable to me.

**I would like to thank ABajaninCork and most especially Themadhouse for their informative and helpful posts**

P.S. I found the animosity and sarcasm I encountered from a couple of posters on here quite upsetting, despite my attempts to clarify my comments. I have checked their posts on other threads and have seen the same dismissive arrogance towards anybody whose opinion they disagree with, so it shouldn't surprise me really.

My intention is to offer a safe and loving home to an animal. I made an honest observation on my experiences of my search locally and my preference for a particular breed (though not at the exclusion of all others) and if some people choose to find offense at that, well... there's nothing I can do about it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

That's great, glad you found some cats you like, hopefully you will have a furry friend to keep you company for many years to come. x

What some people don't seem to have picked up on, is that I started out looking for a RB not realising they were so hard to come by (see my original post - it was just a simple question) and I then switched my search for a pet to any breed - preferably one that I liked the look of and that I thought would suit my living arrangements - in local shelters.

I had decided to stick with local shelters in order to support people in my own neighbourhood/surrounding area. However, as my local shelters are very rural, they had advertised the cats they do have, as being farm cats suitable for living in barns or sheds i.e. unsuitable to me and not what i was looking for.

Since then, on the advice I was given, I have searched further afield and checked urban shelters and I am happy to say that have seen some cats that I am definitely interested in and that are far more suitable to me.

**I would like to thank ABajaninCork and most especially Themadhouse for their informative and helpful posts**

P.S. I found the animosity and sarcasm I encountered from a couple of posters on here quite upsetting, despite my attempts to clarify my comments. I have checked their posts on other threads and have seen the same dismissive arrogance towards anybody whose opinion they disagree with, so it shouldn't surprise me really.

My intention is to offer a safe and loving home to an animal. I made an honest observation on my experiences of my search locally and my preference for a particular breed (though not at the exclusion of all others) and if some people choose to find offense at that, well... there's nothing I can do about it I suppose.
    It is the dismissive arrogance with which you referred to the kitten crisis in this country that upset myself and others, so in that respect you have only yourself to blame. It most certainly was not my intent to upset you or anyone else for that matter. I hope that you do find a companion cat, it might mean you'll have other things to occupy you then searching the posts of other boardsies whom you take offence at.

It is the dismissive arrogance with which you referred to the kitten crisis in this country that upset myself and others, so in that respect you have only yourself to blame. It most certainly was not my intent to upset you or anyone else for that matter. I hope that you do find a companion cat, it might mean you'll have other things to occupy you then searching the posts of other boardsies whom you take offence at.

Give it a rest now. You're now getting nasty. The OP's found what they wanted.

Give it a rest now. You're now getting nasty. The OP's found what they wanted.
    As far as I was concerned people had expressed their feelings and the matter was closed, however the OP seems to feel the need to resurrect it. I really don't see what business it is of yours to tell me how to conduct myself. The OP had their final say on the matter and now I've had mine.

As far as I was concerned people had expressed their feelings and the matter was closed, however the OP seems to feel the need to resurrect it. I really don't see what business it is of yours to tell me how to conduct myself. The OP had their final say on the matter and now I've had mine.

I've reported your post.

I've reported your post.
    That's funny I just finished telling someone that you would be doing so

:)

• Advertisement

:eek::P:confused:
    :)
    Are we done with the childishness yet?

This discussion has been closed.