Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing coins

Options
  • 05-01-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I have a big jar of 1,2 and 5c coins which i saved over the last year. I do this every year and always change them in the dry cleaners in Newbridge shopping center who had a change machine. Unfortunately its now closed. Anyone know where i can get them changed in the Newbridge area ? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Seen a sign at that dry cleaners about an hour ago saying its opening back up under new management monday. So they might still have the machine their.
    Other than that spar in Ballymany had one of them machines but i haven't been their in ages. Also Eddie O'Connors (or whatever it is now) use to have one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

I find the self-service tills in Tesco a handy way to get rid of loose change and you get 100% of the value of the coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

eurospar in kildare town and tesco kildare have a machine,,,both charge 10%..maybe try tesco in newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Bag them up and bring them into a bank

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Spar in ballymany have one of those machines but I think they charge 12.5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

TheBazman wrote: »
    Bag them up and bring them into a bank

Do banks still give the bags out? I thought they'd stopped doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Definitely still do. Will usually charge to cash but not lodge bags and they need to be exact amounts too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'll take them if you want. I'll meet you, count them in a machine at home, and give you the cash the next day. Pm me if you want. Have a Scancoin sorting and bagging machine, fully legit. Could do with some 5cent coins actually, I'll just bank the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

The sooner this makes it here, the better:

https://coinstar.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Count it and try to buy something with it . They can't refuse you because it is legal tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gerrowadat wrote: »
    The sooner this makes it here, the better:

https://coinstar.com/

Over here years. Most have vanished though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Count it and try to buy something with it . They can't refuse you because it is legal tender.

From this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055474515

"According to the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998 of the Republic of Ireland which replaced the legal tender provisions that had been re-enacted in Irish legislation from previous British enactments, No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Although they're within ther rights to refuse any transaction, they aren't obliged to accept any more than fifty coins in any single transaction.

Best to use self-service checkouts or bag & lodge in bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Although they're within ther rights to refuse any transaction, they aren't obliged to accept any more than fifty coins in any single transaction.

Best to use self-service checkouts or bag & lodge in bank.
    I didn't know about the 50 coins . I think it is different in America though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Get bags in bank and bag it correctly. Bring it to your local off-license/shop and they will gladly take it for no charge. They have to pay to get change from the banks. You might have to clear it with owner by phone call or walk in and chat to them first.

Failing that, bring it to Credit Union who will also take it for no charge.

Advertisement