Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High electric bills

Options
  • 05-01-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,
    I moved to a new apartment 5 months ago. My electricity bills are really high.In my previous apartment I used be with airtricity and my bills are never such high.with electric Ireland my bills are 300-350.we are only two people and we work most of the days. Does anyone has the same problem. I don't know what to do. Any advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have you the heating on too much? Are you using the immersion too much? It's not simply a supplier at fault here. It's the usage. Have you halogen lights throughout the apt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Baloosmac

We have one storage heater which heats up during the night. We have the power saving lights too.

Baloosmac wrote: »
    We have one storage heater which heats up during the night. We have the power saving lights too.

Immersion?

We have immersion. We use that heat the water once one the morning and once in the evening. Do you think it's gonna take that much energy using only twice a day?

Baloosmac wrote: »
    We have immersion. We use that heat the water once one the morning and once in the evening. Do you think it's gonna take that much energy using only twice a day?

Nothing you've said indicates high usage. How long do you heat the water?

• Advertisement

30 to 45 mins

Again based on what you're posting you dont seem to be using massive amounts of electricity. The heating charging every day can be expensive, do you have night saver electricity. This could be the issue but with only one heater you say it seems unlikely.

Try turning off everything and check your meter (if you can) to see that it's not moving.

Make sure you're on the best rate electricity too. Have a look at bonkers.ie

Thanks for your help cookie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Baloosmac,

We have a Reduce Your Costs section on our website which should be of help to you in the circumstances; the Appliance Calculator (also an iOS/Android app) should be of particular benefit, as it may help you isolate an unsuspected 'energy guzzler'.

Thanks to cookie1977 too for the sound advice. It's always a good idea to regularly check your meter, as this enables you to get a good idea of your average daily usage. Also, the test mentioned above by cookie1977 is one way to rule out faults with the meter or the internal wiring. If you would like me to have a closer look at this for you, please feel free to PM me your account details.

Thanks,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Have the bills been estimated? The reason being that the EAC (estimated annual consumption) might be calculated incorrectly if you've been with your current supplier for only a few months and they have insufficient data to make an accurate estimate based on your historical data.

• Advertisement
Advertisement