Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affluent/Deprived areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm Very Affluent .... I am in my hoop! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I can't see to find any direct info there on Galway city. It doesn't seem to be colour coded unless I'm missing something?

Actually for a moment I was quite surprised to see a big green square in the center of my estate as green stands for "affluent". Turned out it was just there to represent the green/grassy area in the estate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can't see to find any direct info there on Galway city. It doesn't seem to be colour coded unless I'm missing something?

I can.

Castlepark and the very middle of Westside are "extremely disadvantaged"

The rest of Westside, Shantalla, Ballinfoyle, the rest of Ballybane, some of Mervue, some of Doughiska, some of Salthill are "disadvantaged"

Some small "very affluent" bits around, but no "extremely affluent" ones. (Most of Taylors Hill is only "marginally above average".)

Quite bit bits of the city (eg most of Salthill) are unclassified.

The only bit that surprises me is Baile an Chóiste, only marginally below average, I'd expected it to be lower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Glasan is "Extremely Affluent"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Some small "very affluent" bits around, but no "extremely affluent" ones. (Most of Taylors Hill is only "marginally above average".)

Glasán (behind the old Corrib Great Southern) on the Dublin road is shaded in the dark blue of 'Extremely Affluent'.

Whoever surveyed that part of the map must have been locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The map shows an affluent oasis in Dunaras/Droim Chaoin. As if.

Looking a bit more closely via StreetView, it seems that the affluent area is actually next door in Cuan Glas.

The 'layering' (if that's the correct term) of the Deprivation Index map seems to be a bit fuzzy, but local knowledge helps to clarify.

Lapin wrote: »
    Glasán (behind the old Corrib Great Southern) on the Dublin road is shaded in the dark blue of 'Extremely Affluent'.

Whoever surveyed that part of the map must have been locked.

Dun na Coiribe and parts of Terryland Forest Park are also "Very Affluent". :confused:

Perhaps the field researchers found lots of empty Moët & Chandon bottles in the bushes...

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Dunnes Stores in Westside appears to be extremely disadvantaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Rosan Glas seems to be divided into not so posh, posh and posher!
    Must be great craic playing 'the good life' there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Its quite interesting, not too many surprises, I'd say the student estates are measured by what the landlords are earning or else it is taking into account family income. It seems that around by Dunnes is the 2nd worst off in Galway and Fodin Glas is the 3rd, but I can't find the worst off. Just curious about it really

Here's why specific localities such as Glasan, Dun na Coiribe and Dunaras are showing up as "Very Affluent", I reckon.

The Deprivation Index developed by Haase & Pratschke is based on three dimensions of affluence/disadvantage: Demographic Profile, Social
    Class Composition and Labour Market Situation.
    Demographic Profile is measured by five indicators: *
    • the percentage increase in population over the previous five years
    • the percentage of population aged under 15 or over 64 years of age
    • the percentage of population with a primary school education only
    • the percentage of population with a third level education
    • the percentage of households with children aged under 15 years and headed by a single parent
    • the mean number of persons per room

Social Class Composition is measured by five indicators:
    • the percentage of population with a primary school education only
    • the percentage of population with a third level education
    • the percentage of households headed by professionals or managerial and technical employees, including farmers with 100 acres or more
    • the percentage of households headed by semi‐skilled or unskilled manual workers, including farmers with less than 30 acres
    • the mean number of persons per room

What do Glasan, Dun na Coiribe and Dunaras have in common?

They're all locations for student accommodation.

http://www.glasan.com/

http://www.cuirtnacoiribe.com/

http://www.dunaras.ie/

Assuming that the Census 2011 forms were completed by people actually resident in the accommodation on Census night, it's easy to see how the data aggregated for the purpose of devising "dimensions of affluence/disadvantage" would indicate relative affluence.

Student accommodation is likely to have a high percentage of population aged 15-64 with a Third Level education, no children and a low average number of persons per room.

Here's another instance: Castletroy in Limerick is shown on the map as Very Affluent. It also happens to be the location of student accommodation, eg Groody Student Village, featuring apartments with six double rooms, all with en suite bathrooms.

QED?

* That's six indicators, actually. Perhaps H&P have trouble counting? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So if the label was "Very advantaged" rather than "very affluent" - and it would be 100% correct.

The students still waiting for their SUSI grant, or who are depending on food boxes, mightn't agree with that analysis! :)

No, I think those Very Affluent student villages are an oddity thrown up by Small Area Population Statistics, which are based on 80-100 households.

If a sizeable number of those households are actually student residences then the people included might well tick a large number of "affluent" boxes in the Deprivation Index.

Which now makes me wonder: what exactly is a Small Area and how is its boundary determined?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Small Areas are areas of population comprising between 50 and 200 dwellings created by The National Institute of Regional and Spatial Analysis.. Small Areas were designed as the lowest level of geography for the compilation of statistics in line with data protection and generally comprise either complete or part of townlands or neighbourhoods. There is a constraint on Small Areas that they must nest within Electoral Division boundaries... The small area boundaries have been amended in line with population data from Census 2011 http://www.cso.ie/en/census/census2011reports/census2011boundaryfiles/

There are other maps out there which in my view are more accurate in aiding burglars where to go :cool:
    https://www.pobal.ie/Pages/New-Measures.aspx
    http://maps.pobal.ie/#/Map

Advertisement