Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercity & its peculiar refund policy

Options
  • 05-01-2013 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

This is a small thing, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Yesterday, I bought two small items in Powercity - tv wall brackets - and I made it clear to the man there that I would be bringing one of them back as we were not sure which bracket would be most appropriate for the wall. I paid in cash, not with a Laser/Visa Debit or with a credit card. Cash. I had bought a new tv there in the days previous to this.

Today I returned with the bracket which was least appropriate expecting a simple refund as I had paid in cash yesterday. The Powercity worker, however, said that because I had not got a Laser/Visa Debit card with me, Powercity would have to post out a cheque for the refund amount (A Laser refund anyway takes days, even though your account is deducted immediately if you pay with Laser. Why this is allowed in law, I don't know).

A cheque. Wtf. In 2013. It genuinely doesn't bother me that I have to wait some days to be refunded this humble €20. I don't mind my cash sitting in Powercity's account and, added to other such cash from other customers, generating probably considerable interest for Powercity's owners at the end of each year. However, the idea of a cheque conjures up an image of a ridiculous queue in a bank that is entirely unnecessary in 2013. That abject time-wasting which Powercity expects me as a customer to engage in bothers me. And why are they wasting money posting things? It sounds like management policy from about 1990.

This bizarre policy of Powercity seems, to me, entirely unnecessary. I had the receipt from the day before, and they have my details - i.e. my phone number & previous purchases - on their system. I have never sought a refund before. They know I am genuine. Why, therefore, is Powercity management engaging in such ridiculous protocol when a simple, straightforward refund to a cash-paying customer is the respectful course of action?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Control of refund fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

They are under no legal obligation to give you a refund in this case - the brackets weren't faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Seanchai wrote: »
    This is a small thing, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Yesterday, I bought two small items in Powercity - tv wall brackets - and I made it clear to the man there that I would be bringing one of them back as we were not sure which bracket would be most appropriate for the wall. I paid in cash, not with a Laser/Visa Debit or with a credit card. Cash. I had bought a new tv there in the days previous to this.

Today I returned with the bracket which was least appropriate expecting a simple refund as I had paid in cash yesterday. The Powercity worker, however, said that because I had not got a Laser/Visa Debit card with me, Powercity would have to post out a cheque for the refund amount (A Laser refund anyway takes days, even though your account is deducted immediately if you pay with Laser. Why this is allowed in law, I don't know).

A cheque. Wtf. In 2013. It genuinely doesn't bother me that I have to wait some days to be refunded this humble €20. I don't mind my cash sitting in Powercity's account and, added to other such cash from other customers, generating probably considerable interest for Powercity's owners at the end of each year. However, the idea of a cheque conjures up an image of a ridiculous queue in a bank that is entirely unnecessary in 2013. That abject time-wasting which Powercity expects me as a customer to engage in bothers me. And why are they wasting money posting things? It sounds like management policy from about 1990.

This bizarre policy of Powercity seems, to me, entirely unnecessary. I had the receipt from the day before, and they have my details - i.e. my phone number & previous purchases - on their system. I have never sought a refund before. They know I am genuine. Why, therefore, is Powercity management engaging in such ridiculous protocol when a simple, straightforward refund to a cash-paying customer is the respectful course of action?

I have experienced this also.I think it is to prevent staff from performing spurious refunds and pocketing the cash.

sffc wrote: »
    They are under no legal obligation to give you a refund in this case - the brackets weren't faulty.

Not sure why you're quoting me.
    repsol wrote: »
    I have experienced this also.I think it is to prevent staff from performing spurious refunds and pocketing the cash.

AKA Refund fraud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Not sure why you're quoting me.

AKA Refund fraud :)
    Apologies - thought you meant Power City were being fraudulent by controlling their refunds in this manner . See that you mean now - very likely.

• Advertisement

sffc wrote: »
    Apologies - thought you meant Power City were being fraudulent by controlling their refunds in this manner . See that you mean now - very likely.

A minor correction though - OP is entitled to a refund as he agreed it with the store at point of sale. Power City would also be bound by any refund policy they made the OP aware of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A minor correction though - OP is entitled to a refund as he agreed it with the store at point of sale. Power City would also be bound by any refund policy they made the OP aware of.

Assuming who ever made the deal had the power/authority to make it.

godtabh wrote: »
    Assuming who ever made the deal had the power/authority to make it.

That would be the problem of Power City if a sales person has agreed to it.

EDIT: Sorry should have added IMHO. The assistant is working for the shop, the shop is liable for the conduct of it's employees. I am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

I have receipt from a previous purchase made and it states "refund by post" which I would understand it to mean I would be sent a cheque. Clear enough to me! Don't see the big deal tbh.

You already made your life a hassle by not checking the size of the bracket you needed in the first place and had to make a return call to the store as a result. Surely this is more hassle than lodging a cheque??? Also, just to note, a cheque lodgement in a bank takes approx 5 mins with express lodgement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That would be the problem of Power City if a sales person has agreed to it.
    And prove that the sales person agreed it in court would be done how? Word vs. word and Power City can simply state their policy is never to give open refunds with the sales person confirming this.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    And prove that the sales person agreed it in court would be done how? Word vs. word and Power City can simply state their policy is never to give open refunds with the sales person confirming this.

I love the way everyone one assumes the other party to a contract is always a lying asshat.

There are plenty of times a sales person will say something, it's not quite policy and will admit to it. Why? Because not everyone has the loose morals many here seem to. :D

But yes if we want to pretend this is going to ever end up in court the parties would go up, and assuming they are going to lie, would be cross examined by barristers. The judge would then decide who is more credible. If someone is lying then it's likely they'll be tripped up on cross examination. The Judge might also decide he prefers the consumers explanation of evens as, on the balance of probabilities, its likely the truthful one - or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I thought you had to give the refund in the same manner as you paid?

Otherwise you'd get people paying with stolen credit cards, then refunding the item and getting cash in exchange.

I thought you had to give the refund in the same manner as you paid?

Otherwise you'd get people paying with stolen credit cards, then refunding the item and getting cash in exchange.

Yes but that is rendered moot by their policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

know the size next time

Advertisement