Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There isn't an app for that.... yet.

Options
  • 05-01-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Anyone ever make an App using Xcode?
    I just came up with a decent idea for an app and I have a few questions.

The app is mainly calculator based. One would enter information into the app and the app would produce different figures depending on ones own personal criteria.
    So basically, there would be "if statements" like in excel. Is coding on xcode complicated for my idea?

Any useful links anyone can send me?

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

What's the idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

What's the idea?

It's a million dollar idea man, I'll sell it to you for half a mill'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I offer 750k!

OP your post is kinda vague, do you have any development experience or what? I assume not, because you're kinda conflating Xcode (an IDE) with Objective-C (a programming language).

FWIW I found Objective-C and Cocoa very difficult last time I gave it a shot. I've a Computer Science degree (for all it's worth!) and had about 3 years' work experience at the time.

I'd imagine it's a relatively simple app to build if it's just calculations as you said.

Cheers man.
    To be honest I haven't a clue, I've never used any of the above.
    I was hoping the likes of Xcode is simple enough. A bit like iweb maybe, simply drag-and-drop and the code generates in the background.
    I think I'm savvy when it comes to these things but I've never used the above mentioned applications before.

Do you know the way If I was to make a website and I can right click and view source in a similar web page, I can view the HTML or java code.
    Is it possible to do something similar if there is already a similar app out there?

If a 12 year old can make an app, I should be able to (hopefully)

Green Mile wrote: »
    Cheers man.
    To be honest I haven't a clue, I've never used any of the above.
    I was hoping the likes of Xcode is simple enough. A bit like iweb maybe, simply drag-and-drop and the code generates in the background.
    I think I'm savvy when it comes to these things but I've never used the above mentioned applications before.

Do you know the way If I was to make a website and I can right click and view source in a similar web page, I can view the HTML or java code.
    Is it possible to do something similar if there is already a similar app out there?

If a 12 year old can make an app, I should be able to (hopefully)

What's the idea pal?

• Advertisement

On a serious note, if you've done any programming , you should dive right in and get started. Start off with Hello world. Then look for tutorials on user input. Implement some simple logic. i.e. user inputs some numbers, you add them and display result. After that, do some reading on app development.

You can't just view the source of an existing app, no. Not unless they released the code on GitHub or something?

Mozart was about 12 years old when he was writing sympthonies, your typical 12 year old can't write an app though!! Not saying you need to be a genius to do it though either. I just personally found it more difficult than other languages.

XCode does have a degree of dragging and dropping things, but you still need to manually write plenty of code, and understand the various concepts and principles of MVC, etc.

Your best bet is probably to pick up an "iOS apps for dummies/in 24 hours" book and go through it from the start. Your idea sounds simple enough, so you might be able to use whatever example apps you build in the book as a basis for it.

There are plenty of 12 year olds making a mint from the apps they've made the backsturds.

Xcode is just downloaded so ill try learn as much as I can with research and mess around with the application.

I'll let u know how I get on n i'll more than likely be asking more questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Concentrate on getting the information into the app first, and work out the calculations afterwards. Write down on paper what each data entry consists of. This is your Model in MVC parlance. Like and contact would be a name, address and phone number. What would a piece of your data consist of?

There are a million and one examples and tutorials out there for CRUD (create, read, update, delete) apps with CoreData as a way of saving the info to a file on your device.

You create Views and the Controllers to handle all the logic. There's also a feature in current versions of XCode called Storyboards there lets you visually connect up the navigation process behind an app.

That's really how it all fits. You usually use a built in object to handle navigation between screens.

Can you program at all? Objective C is a bit strange compared to other C based languages. I personally like it, but it takes a bit of getting used to. I'm glad I was a pretty decent C and C++ programmer before I did anything with it.

Anyway, it's an iterative process. Your app will look crap for ages, then it'll all just fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Uuuuumm yeah, you are going to be bitterly disappointed on that assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

There are plenty of 12 year olds making a mint from the apps they've made the backsturds.

I've heard this "12 year old can make apps therefore it should be easy" argument before...

Maybe there's a handful of 12 year olds that have created successful apps. Only because they had a good idea, got lucky, and/or were exceptionally talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Did you say you can write html pages with java script. If so look up phongap

I reckon you can do the app yourself... And phonegap will let you port it to ios, android, wp etc...

Give it a shot. Though it will not be a native app but still you can get up and running...

Thanks, that sounds very promising.
    I wonder if I can convert excel into HTML (keeping the formulas etc and allowing for end user input into specific cells).

And then once done, convert that HTML to objective c code?

Ill look into this when I get home.

K

Thanks, that sounds very promising.
    I wonder if I can convert excel into HTML (keeping the formulas etc and allowing for end user input into specific cells).

And then once done, convert that HTML to objective c code?

Ill look into this when I get home.

K

No... and while I hate to deliver bad news, the fact you are thinking that way demonstrates you have near years worth of knowledge to consume before being capable of this.

But there's ample information online saying it is possible?

But there's ample information online saying it is possible?

converting HTML into objective-c code that has logic? You may have been reading about phonegap or something similar, but its in no way as simplistic as you are thinking.

Can you provide a few links to what you are reading, I may be able to help clarify.

I have good experience with HTML, I don't have any experience with java.
    There is a website online with java code and it does exactly what I want my app to do.

I took a look at phonegap and it is very ideal for what I want to do.

It's such a shame I have to be a registered apple developer from the offset to use phonegap. There's little point in becoming a member if I can't make the app.
    I can understand being a member for app deployment but why from the offset?!

I'm going to have to learn this the hard way. Unless there's an alternative?

(I wish I knew like minded people in instances like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I'm going to have to learn this the hard way.

Not because it is hard but I would call the "hard" way the right way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's such a shame I have to be a registered apple developer from the offset to use phonegap. There's little point in becoming a member if I can't make the app.
    I can understand being a member for app deployment but why from the offset?!

https://developer.apple.com/programs/which-program/

If you're not ready to join one of our developer programs, you can register as an Apple Developer for free. As a registered Apple Developer you gain access to development tools, resources and information to assist you in creating apps for iOS and OS X.

Superb, thanks Graham. Back to the drawing board. I'm so eager to get this app made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Have u looked into that AppInventor yoke that Google released? I never used it but apparently its fairly handy to get a basic app up and running.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Have u looked into that AppInventor yoke that Google released? I never used it but apparently its fairly handy to get a basic app up and running.

That would solely be for android right? If not, I'll take a look.
    Ill get iOS done first n then move onto android I think, I don't want to be jumping between the two as this is already a big undertaking for something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That would solely be for android right? If not, I'll take a look.
    Ill get iOS done first n then move onto android I think, I don't want to be jumping between the two as this is already a big undertaking for something simple.

With all due respect, I think you are setting yourself up for failure.

I have over 15 years experience in IT (though I am not a programmer, I have delved into programming over the years), and I found xcode/objective c quite difficult to master. I did eventually get a few basic apps written, but it was not easy and took a lot of time and effort.

My advice? Try App Inventor. It is a gentle introduction to getting an app up and running on a mobile device (notice I didn't say program an app) and is quite doable with limited experience. It will then give you the confidence to try objective C and xcode. After setting App Inventor up, I had an app created in just under 2 hours. Massive difference between the two.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    With all due respect, I think you are setting yourself up for failure.

I have over 15 years experience in IT (though I am not a programmer, I have delved into programming over the years), and I found xcode/objective c quite difficult to master. I did eventually get a few basic apps written, but it was not easy and took a lot of time and effort.

My advice? Try App Inventor. It is a gentle introduction to getting an app up and running on a mobile device (notice I didn't say program an app) and is quite doable with limited experience. It will then give you the confidence to try objective C and xcode. After setting App Inventor up, I had an app created in just under 2 hours. Massive difference between the two.

I'm a professional software developer for the past few years, with a total of 10 years experience across IT. Starting doing objective-c with no previous programming experience is going be a world of pain tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Go with the phonegap solution as a proof of concept. You've already said you're comfortable with HTML, does this extend to Javascript? If so, dive in with a cross compiler. This will allow you to get the concepts in mobile programming (such as intents, broadcasters, receivers, not sure what the equivalent are in iOS as these are Android terms).

Once you're happy, have a few friends test, or send it to a closed user group. If they like it, consider full native development.

I, for one, wouldnt give you money for a cross-compiled app :D

Thanks all, I appreciate the honest feedback. The app is meant to be simple.

It's just a type of calculator app, the results would determine what the user first input as criteria (e.g. a persons height = 6ft,,, that type of thing).

I do appreciate the acknowledgement that I will find this task overwhelmingly difficult. I did wrongly presume this task would be easy (as the idea is simple) but what are my alternatives?

Should I just give up on the idea?

Thanks all, I appreciate the honest feedback. The app is meant to be simple.

It's just a type of calculator app, the results would determine what the user first input as criteria (e.g. a persons height = 6ft,,, that type of thing).

I do appreciate the acknowledgement that I will find this task overwhelmingly difficult. I did wrongly presume this task would be easy (as the idea is simple) but what are my alternatives?

If you have HTML/JS skills, phonegap is a reasonable starting point, but even that is going to assume a decent understanding of web technologies. However, a phonegap will never feel as "smooth" as a native (written in objective-c code).

Everything in programming is a trade off, this is just another example of that. Easier to develop for, but you sacrifice rendering speed and interface complexity (nested elements).

Does this have to be a an app for iPhone. It would be a LOT easier to do a mobile website people could visit.

Ya, should have mentioned that a responsive website would be a much easier way to go about it. Focus on that and maybe you can wrap it in an app later on if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No, try App Inventor.

Never give up. :)

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, try App Inventor.

Never give up. :)

App inventor is Android only....

Advertisement