Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There isn't an app for that.... yet.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Uuuuumm yeah, you are going to be bitterly disappointed on that assumption.
    Indeed. From what I can see, the OP cannot program and no, HTML is a mark-up, not a programming language.

As to cross-platform options, there's a few, many of which claim to use HTML, but in reality they use JavaScript for the business logic (the programming bit), of the app. A few of these options have been mentioned already here, but there are plenty.

So I would suggest one approach is to first write your app for a browser, using HTML, CSS and JavaScript - learning the latter in the process. Then rewrite it using a cross-platform IDE that employs HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Then try testing / publishing to at least one OS, probably Android, to begin with.

It will take a lot of effort and, depending upon your aptitude and intellect, time, but you'll get there if you stick to it. Otherwise, you can try to make a deal with someone who can already code.
    I've heard this "12 year old can make apps therefore it should be easy" argument before...
    It's this decade's version of the old "Ryanair got their Web site built by two students for a packet of Tayto".
    Maybe there's a handful of 12 year olds that have created successful apps. Only because they had a good idea, got lucky, and/or were exceptionally talented.
    I think the story of the 12-year old originates from some kid who used some games authoring platform to 'write' theirs. In reality, the platform in question was pretty basic, only did a small range of set games and customization was limited - but it was the feel-good tech story that week.

Problem is that such stories, when not fully understood and then further warped by word of mouth, end up spawning urban legends that create false expectations of what is possible and what is not - just like the old Ryanair Web site tale used to.

Advertisement