Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vision Boards

Options
  • 05-01-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but I'm sure someone will move it if it's not :)

Anyway.. Vision Boards.

Do you think they work?

We were made to make them in 4th year and at the time I thought it was a load of crapology... but now I'm reconsidering... I mean obviously, they're not magic or anything. But do you think having a constant reminder of our goals will make us more likely to fulfill them?

Do you think they could make us happier people? By not only filling the board with goals but with images of things we like to surround ourselves in, in order to feel happy.

Anyway, I was thinking of making one for the craic, but I was wondering if anyone else has experience with them? What do you think? All thoughts and opinions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

... what is a vision board? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

http://www.thewellnesswarrior.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_0140.jpg

I dunno how to embed that image, sorry :P

But basically, it can be made on a large piece of card, the canvas is irrelevant. A vision board is like a big collage of images/words that inspire you. :) The idea is if you place images of your goals, where you want to be in a few years, how you want to act/feel etc. on a large board, you will achieve it. It's kinda a motivational thing, if you see these images on a daily basis you'll be more inspired to act on them. It kinda works on the premise of being positive to attract positivity into your life. :)

Sorry, that was a terrible explanation :pac:

Not everyone believes in this of course, and I'm quite skeptical myself but they can be really fun to make and look great when you're finished! My last one was super colourful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Sounds like a nice idea alright :)

I think my pessimistic side might look at it though and get depressed at all the things I haven't done yet though :P But I like the idea of having something like that full of positive quotes and cute picture to cheer yourself up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Its a strong theme in notable management and leadership gurus and highly successful business people that having clear goals is a must in the path to success. A vision board is simply a more vivid (and perhaps more memorable) way of clarifying them, there is no reason I can think of not to try it and broaden its scope to your personal life and several advantages to trying it.

when life gets confusing and wearing its good to re-affirm why you doing what what you are doing and potentially motivational to be reminded of some key message that someone has told you (such as those post it notes in the above example)
    It could also help you getting sidetracked and spending time on activities that wont help you achieve what you want

give it a go, what have you got to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

woodchuck wrote: »
    I think my pessimistic side might look at it though and get depressed at all the things I haven't done yet though :P

Yeah I'm slightly worried that will happen :P
    BBDBB wrote: »
    give it a go, what have you got to lose?
    Only a lot of potential time and effort... I joke :P You're right, I think I'll make one, even if it doesn't help me it'll be something pretty to look at! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

It's a v. Good idea. A lot of people use their screen savers for this positive feel good imagery. Just think of your next holiday or something positive coming up in your life and create an image of it that you can look at from time to time. Something like this:

beach-sunset.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I recently watched a television show (Anderson Cooper Live) touting the benefits of vision boards and gratitude journals. They suggested creating and sharing a vision board online at pinterest

I did a mini vision board as my boards album not so long ago and am amazed the pictures that "came to life' within a short time :eek: - be careful what you wish for... :)

A vision board might be like a mantra to those of us visually minded?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Silas45

Great idea for the start of the year!

Not into resolutions but just started one of these on powerpoint and its definitely highlighted my priorities for 2013. A nice image that you can add things to as you find them aswell.

Can't say its made me happier in the long run but cheered me up while selecting pictures.

It would be great if even some of the items came to pass :)

Advertisement