Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemologist? Can some one value my engagement ring

Options
  • 05-01-2013 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi ... My partner bought me an 18k white gold engagement ring. It has a 0.71ct round cut diamond, F color, VS2, triple excellent polish, cut and symmetry. IGI certified, it is a 6 claw tapered 18k white gold band with 12 diamonds on the shoulders totaling .19ct ... Can anyone tell me what the value of this is in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Approximately half whatever a jeweller would sell it for or value it as for insurance purposes ;)

Why so concerned as to it's value?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

scaffrey82 wrote: »
    Hi ... My partner bought me an 18k white gold engagement ring. It has a 0.71ct round cut diamond, F color, VS2, triple excellent polish, cut and symmetry. IGI certified, it is a 6 claw tapered 18k white gold band with 12 diamonds on the shoulders totaling .19ct ... Can anyone tell me what the value of this is in Ireland?

Did he not get a valuation certificate when he bought it for insurance purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scaffrey82

We bought it together in Antwerp so I want to know now if we got a good price... I hope we did, it cost us a fortune!

We bought it together in Antwerp so I want to know now if we got a good price... I hope we did, it cost us a fortune!

Why don't you check out blue Nile? And see what you what comes up? I was at wedding and journal show and met the guy from smooch who said each diamond on shoulders costs roughly €25 per diamond. But when I got my engagement ring I could of gotten 0.15 carats of diamonds on band for no extra cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why? I presume you don't intend to sell it. And the diamond market is totally inflated. Try selling any diamond ring and you won't get much for it from any dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Check Blue Nile (add on vat to prices) or other local jewellers to get an idea of how much you'd pay for similar here. It's pretty difficult for anyone to value a ring from a description, you really need to see it. It could be really well made by a skilled jeweller, or it could be really roughly finished by an amateur! Assume it's lovely though! ;)

This is the only guy I know of: David Dupuy (I've never met him or anything, so can't say what he's like but his online info seems sound.)

There are many different values that you can get for a ring. You'd need to make clear to your valuer what the valuation purpose is. Since you'd have to pay for his expertise, & the value is just to satisfy your curiosity, it'll be infinitely cheaper to just check online & locally!

Even for insurance purposes, there are a few types:
    new replacement value
    replacement with a similar article
    antique replacement value
    reproduction replacement value

So you can get a value for what it'll cost to you buy something similar in a shop, or the cost to have the ring re-made (like as a commission).

Re-sale value - if you plan to sell the ring on, again you won't get what you paid for it. Jewellery really only increases in value when it's vintage / famous / has some legend attached / was worn by Liz Taylor etc... You can find lots of info online about how diamonds are NOT a good investment (not like shares etc).

Security on a loan - probably the scrap value of the metal & stones.

I'm not a diamond expert, but studying gemmology & have worked in Blue Nile previously. That does sound like a nice central stone. Enjoy your new bling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

If you're worried about getting a "value" for it, plus for insurance, I think that http://www.dublinjewelleryvaluations.ie/ are quite good.
    Got ours valued there, takes under an hour. You can sit and wait... Proper cert then sent to our address.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 spade

Natasha Sherling might be able to help - she's a gemologist but not 100% sure if she does valuations or not http://www.natashasherling.ie/

Or what about Voltaire diamonds? I emailed them with a spec of a ring I had seen online and included a pic and they sent me back a quote.

a proper valuation for insurance usually takes into account weight of the metal and the calculated weight of diamonds and includes photos of the item. This can only be done by having a gemologist examine it in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

You will probably have to get it valued in a jewellers for insurance purposes anyway. My husband and I got my engagement ring in New Zealand and even though we had all the certificates for the stone and a valuation for the ring no insurance company in Ireland would accept it. So when we were buying our wedding bands we asked the jeweller to value for insurance purposes. It was also nice to be reassured it wasn't a lump of glass !!!! As we were purchasing our rings he only charged about 50 and he sent it away to an expert.

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Thank you for thinking of us Millem,

Scaffer82, if you require insurance in Ireland, all insurers insist on an the ring being valued by an Irish Jeweller/Valuation Company unless ring is valued at under €2k. Your ring will be well above this limit.

We provide a valuation service if required.

We are also an agent for a large UK Jewellery Insurer so if you cannot insure the ring on your contents policy (maybe you are renting and cannot get contents insurance) you can just insure the engagement ring.

Please contact us if you need any further information?

www.voltairediamonds.ie
    www.engagementringinsurance.ie

Many thanks
    Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Joey2

Yes I am just about to go to Dubai to buy my engagement ring and want to have it fully checked out and valued when I come back too. My sister got her ring checked by Carol Clarke jewellers in Royal Hibernian Way , Dawson Street and she said that she was very good and checked all the ring and even pointed out some problems with the ring. She also did it while she waited which was good as I do not want to have to leave the ring with anyone . I read an article by her in the Irish Times so I expect that she knows what she is doing. :)

yeah, that's the one we went to, her site is www.dublinjewelleryvaluations.ie. She was very professional and explained the difference between valuations of antiques and new items.

Joey2 wrote: »
    Yes I am just about to go to Dubai to buy my engagement ring and want to have it fully checked out and valued when I come back too. My sister got her ring checked by Carol Clarke jewellers in Royal Hibernian Way , Dawson Street and she said that she was very good and checked all the ring and even pointed out some problems with the ring. She also did it while she waited which was good as I do not want to have to leave the ring with anyone . I read an article by her in the Irish Times so I expect that she knows what she is doing. :)

How much does a valuation cost?

Carol gives a relatively "flat" rate, unlike many other valuators charging a percentage fee, which in my opinion can only inflate a price.
    We paid under 200 for 4 sets/items, basically got a small discount for having several items I wanted to value.
    It'll cost a bit more to value a large diamond than a small one I think though. If you bring items with you to the appt, she can give you a more accurate price. She did give us an idea of cost over the phone, but it was rough since she'd have to see it to see how difficult it would be calculate. E.g. they would measure and estimate diamond carat as it cannot be weighed within the ring setting, if there are many smaller diamonds, they're also separately measured and calculated...

Gatica wrote: »
    Carol gives a relatively "flat" rate, unlike many other valuators charging a percentage fee, which in my opinion can only inflate a price.
    We paid under 200 for 4 sets/items, basically got a small discount for having several items I wanted to value.
    It'll cost a bit more to value a large diamond than a small one I think though. If you bring items with you to the appt, she can give you a more accurate price. She did give us an idea of cost over the phone, but it was rough since she'd have to see it to see how difficult it would be calculate. E.g. they would measure and estimate diamond carat as it cannot be weighed within the ring setting, if there are many smaller diamonds, they're also separately measured and calculated...

Brilliant! Ill give her a call tomorrow! Thanks

Advertisement