Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows boot problems

Options
  • 05-01-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My missus has a HP laptop (g6 series, i3, 4GB RAM), and up until today it was working no problem. Today it started acting up though.

The "Starting Windows" splash screen works no problem but after this a black screen appears with a movable cursor. However the Login screen doesn't appear for a good few minutes. It is unlikely to be a Malware issue although not impossible.

This has happened twice today, she tried powering off and back on to no avail, and when she did log in today there was no more issues, however she went to turn it on again before work for a quick check and it wouldn't go past the black screen for a few minutes and we didn't have time to wait for it.

I will hopefully run a startup repair tomorrow and see if this fixes the issue, but presuming it doesn't pick up anything is there any other ideas as to what might be causing this?

Apologies if it's in the wrong place, and thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

Here's a link you may find helpful, the first few lines seem to match exactly what your saying

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

darren2368 wrote: »
    Here's a link you may find helpful, the first few lines seem to match exactly what your saying

Any chance of actually getting that link? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

BroLo wrote: »
    Any chance of actually getting that link? :P

ahahaha wow, now that's certainly not my brightest moment!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-black-screen-when-booting-up/93a2c6e2-9418-4f45-b217-2a152fcce665

Got it right this time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

NO harm using f8,safe mode,
    VGA MODE. use arrows,up,down, enter= choose ,select, eg vga mode,
    this bypasses specific graphics driver ,uses a basic 800x600 generic Windows display driver,which works on any pc .
    no harm trying this, i,m not saying above post is wrong.
    Just see if it works, i,ve seen a case where pc works ok, cases where a virus just deletes
    or damages 1 or 2 driver files, eg graphics card driver ,for ati 800 card
    eg windows operating system was fine, in that case i just copied ,replaced driver file from another pc.
    And I did a full virus scan.
    hold f8 about 11 seconds,safe mode menu appears , before windows logo.

Advertisement