Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bakers Fondant

Options
  • 05-01-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All
    Is there anywhere in Ireland I can buy bakers fondant. I want to feed it to my bees this spring.
    Regards
    Liam C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Fondant powder?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Liam C Ryan

I don't know about fondant powder, what I'm looking for is ready made fondant used in icing cakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved to Cake & Pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Sugarpaste icing, ready to roll icing, is that what you mean? Basically pure sugar with glucose syrup that is rolled out and used to cover wedding cakes, yeah? If that's what you're looking for supermarkets all have small packs of it, stuff4cakes.ie sell 5kg boxes of it as do Decobake, Griffin Foods, etc.

Sugar and glucose mix would be ok if they are no unusual additives in it. Where are Decobake and Griffin Foods ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Try Obriens odaios. Huge ingredient supplier to the trade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's kind of hard to advise you when you don't seem to know yourself what you're after. Is it normal, ready-to-roll icing, like these:

Ready-Roll-Icing.jpg

6551286011_62434ae195.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Sugar and glucose mix would be ok if they are no unusual additives in it. Where are Decobake and Griffin Foods ?

No it has lots of additives, they are just the primary ingredients. As Faith said tough to advise you when you don't seem to know what you want yourself. Decobake and Griffin Foods are both in Dublin but also online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Hi All
    Is there anywhere in Ireland I can buy bakers fondant. I want to feed it to my bees this spring.
    Regards
    Liam C

You can make this yourself, all you need is sugar, liquid glucose (available in tescos or chemist if stuck) and a candy thermometer (tescos again). The recipe is here: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?263920-Bakers-fondant

To be honest mods this might suit the nature form better.

I did have a look at the Shamrock Ready to Roll Icing but it has the world of additives which might be harmful to bees. Its a little frighting to see all the ingredients that's put into food we eat even the simplest of things like icing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ooompie5

Came across a mailorder supplier in UK and adding here for completeness.
    Bakers fondant is not ready to use icing.

https://www.cake-stuff.com/edibles-c1/bulk-edible-supplies-c31/12-5kg-bakers-fondant-icing-read-details-before-ordering-p863

Advertisement