Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hepatitis B Vaccine

Options
  • 05-01-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just wondering are vaccines absolutely essential to have to study medicine in this country? As in what would happen if you refused to get the vaccine?

All hypothetical of course -I'm all vaccinated up against everything at this stage....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

your not allowed to do your placements without being immunised, so yea it is essential

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

In fact, if you don't up come to the appropriate titre, they will also give you booster shots until you do (or at least reach the New Zealand levels if you can't hit the Euro levels). Being a poor responder turns you into a pin cushion :-/

I imagine you'd need a damn fine medical reason to not get the vaccine, in which case, you probably shouldnt be working around infectious patients. (Ethical objection probably means you shouldnt be studying medicine :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Have you a reason not to want the vaccine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MedHead100

Sorry only replying now, some "lovely" rotations recently which have been keeping me busy. As I have said I'm fully vaccinated as I just have the year left in college.

My question came as I recently became aware that for voluntary ambulance personnel, it is an option and it is not compulsory for them to get it. I found this a bit strange as it is absolutely mandatory to have these vaccines for Medicine, Physio, Radiography, Nursing..

Advertisement