Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling Europe

Options
  • 06-01-2013 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok Im not sure this is the right place, but would anyone have any tips on how to travel Europe cheap. Like Im totally broke having to finance my Uni course so need to do this as cheaply as possible. any advice appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Couchsurfing would probably be your best bet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok Im not sure this is the right place, but would anyone have any tips on how to travel Europe cheap. Like Im totally broke having to finance my Uni course so need to do this as cheaply as possible. any advice appreciated :D

Where and when? The southern states are usually cheaper and if you go in the summer you could camp as the weather is usually great.

How do you plan to finance it? Savings or working your way around...

Are you travelling alone or with friends, if so then you can share the costs and come out better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I hope on doing Italy, Germany and France. Hopefully can work around low on the aul funds with a few friends

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

astonaidan wrote: »
    I hope on doing Italy, Germany and France. Hopefully can work around low on the aul funds with a few friends

Well a lot of my American friends budget on 130 dollars a day or allowing for the exchange rate say 100 euros. This is broken down as follows:
    - Accommodation in hostels/low star hotels: max 50
    - Food 30: one hot meal per day and the rest in picnics and eat as you go
    - Tourist stuff 20: entry fees and say one or two bus/river tours during a 3 holiday.

I'd expect that by camping or couchsurf and buying food in larger quantities for the group you could shave some of this, may be down to an average of say 80 euros a day. But remember that this in only an average figure, you can expect to pay more in the touristy places, so it is important that you are well below the 80 euros in most places.

Unless you speak the local language, I expect you will find it difficult in general to find the usual bar/hotel work, because the recession has hit us all, although not as bad as in Ireland. Of course there is always the possibility, but for safety I'd budget on the basis that you'll generate little or no cash this way - especially if you want to travel around and see Europe.

Of course the idea is to travel around and see Europe, but the more you do the more expensive it gets, so picking a couple of major locations could work out cheaper. The Swiss (www.sbb.ch) and German (www.bahn.de) sites provide good information on the schedules and fares of most major European routes, so you should be able to get some ideas about costs. "The man in seat 61" is also worth a visit. This year the German railways are offering a lot of 39 euro fares between the major cities of Europe, so be sure to read their ads carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Checkout:

http://www.karzoo.co.uk/

I use this here in NL (as a driver), cheap way of getting around.

Couchsurfing as well.

Also Hostels are pretty cheap if your not fussy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement