Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC gaming controller

• 06-01-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best gaming controller for a pc? Mostly for games such as Hitman, COD and The Walking Dead etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Wired Xbox360 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭munster87

Cheers where can I get one? Any games store?

So wait I can use my xbox controller on my laptop? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

a wired one? yes. for wireless one you need an adapter (like this one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

munster87 wrote: »
    Cheers where can I get one? Any games store?

PC world is your best bet they will have both the wired and wireless just make sure its the Xbox360 for windows controller not a normal 360 one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Argos cheapest at 32.

ps3 works with spamware drivers, which i got a pain in my hole with and got the xbox wired pad.

ps3 works via bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

I use a wireless 360 controllers, no fiddling, just install the driver for the wireless receiver and the games pick it up like magic.
    Also, many steam games have a command if they don't pick it up "exec 360controller" in the developer console (valve games).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

What kind of batteries does the wireless one take /\/ollog, and how long do they last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

360 controller, no substitute since most games accept it these days.

Got my 2 from Gamestop for €30. They were €19 each but they had a deal on at the time.

One of them has a dodgy analog on it now considering I wouldn't be harsh to them or even use them a terrible amount but they're sturdy enough for the price of them

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

PC world is your best bet they will have both the wired and wireless just make sure its the Xbox360 for windows controller not a normal 360 one.

Eh? They're the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

Darvich wrote: »
    What kind of batteries does the wireless one take /\/ollog, and how long do they last?

I got a cheap 4800 mah battery pack from dealextreme.
    It charges while playing if I want it to,
    It takes 2 AA's I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hybrid Nimh AA batteries, since they don't lose charge when not in use. You can pick up the Uniross ones in Maplin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Darvich wrote: »

You can also get wireless controllers with a play and charge kit, so you can plug it it via usb to charge (and keep playing obviously as the name implies :)).

Or if you have an existing controller pick up one of these in any game shop or even second hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

youll still need the wireless adapter to use it though, the plug and play charging cable doesnt let you use the wireless controller as a wired one on pc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

youll still need the wireless adapter to use it though, the plug and play charging cable doesnt let you use the wireless controller as a wired one on pc

That is true, in fact OP is are unlikely to ever be too far away from the PC (as would likely be the case if you have a smalish 20-24" monitior) it really is much cheaper to go wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just get a wired 360 remote

Cheers everyone. I have a wired xbox control, just never knew I could use it on my laptop!

abbir wrote: »

Eh? They're the same thing.

No they're not, a wireless Xbox 360 controller doesn't have a USB dongle with it so it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi,didn't know it would work with laptop,will it work with most games or is it hit and miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Hi,didn't know it would work with laptop,will it work with most games or is it hit and miss?
    There are a few lists on the web, but even if you have a game that doesn't support it, you can use something like Xpadder.

• Advertisement

No they're not, a wireless Xbox 360 controller doesn't have a USB dongle with it so it won't work.

we were talking about wired one. they're no different

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

actually when he said that he was talking about the wireless one.....

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

we were talking about wired one. they're no different

I was talking about the wireless one the op might not have known that they were different so I was giving him a heads up so he didn't end up with the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I was talking about the wireless one the op might not have known that they were different so I was giving him a heads up so he didn't end up with the wrong one.

They market both an Xbox 360 controller for Windows and an Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows. It wasn't clear from your original post that you meant the wireless one and I did not want someone reading that they must buy the wired one that says "for Windows" as sometimes they are dearer than the other ones.

Also the controllers in the wireless ones aren't actually different, the wireless for windows packet just includes the wireless adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I use a Logitech F710. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a wireless job, takes AA batteries that seem to last ages.

It has two modes, one that makes it compatible with the XBox360 controllers (XInput) and a mode for compatibility with older games (DirectX). The DirectX mode also has a mapping app that allows you to map keyboard keys to the controller buttons, mouse movements to the analogue sticks, etc. I managed to get the original Max Payne working fine with it, even though that game wasn't written for controllers.

It has the same button layout as the XBox360, down to the button labels (X, Y, A. B - all the same colour as the XBox360 equivalents) However, the location of the D pad and sticks are more like the PS3 than the XBox360.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SillyIrish

Do Ps3 controllers work if hooked up to PC? Or is it only xbox ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,713 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They market the Xbox controller in some cases with the USB adapter you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just used this method to get my ps3 controller going on my pc

Granted I havent tried a game yet but the vibration test works a treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,713 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks Headshot you just saved me some googling I had penciled in for the weekend, I just got a lenovo yoga and I was going to have it double as a portable Emulator console using a PS3 controller :)

Advertisement