Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC gaming controller

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I tried the PS3 controller setup. Grand for things like emulators, but if playing modern games, it got a bit confusing. Think was when playing Prototype, it wouldn't pick it up as a game controller and instead just took the place of the keys. Probably just takes getting used to but got confusing when it would say what to pres on screen and trying to remember what was mapped to what.

So I just bought a wired 360 controller. Modern games are usually made with the controller in mind so the buttons they tell you to press are based on the controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Being a bit of a Batman nut, I couldn't resist this one a few months back in HMV:
    23354.jpg

Being a wired 360 controller, it works great on PC. The left/right parts of the bat buttons are select/start, the middle one cycles through different LED colours, or turns them off. Not bad for around 35 squids (Around that mark anyway so far as I remember)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

marco_polo wrote: »
    You can also get wireless controllers with a play and charge kit, so you can plug it it via usb to charge (and keep playing obviously as the name implies :)).

Or if you have an existing controller pick up one of these in any game shop or even second hand.

Just tried this and it didn't work.

Looks like I need to get one of the receivers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just tried this and it didn't work.

Looks like I need to get one of the receivers.

Apologies I hadn't meant my post to imply that it was possible to play with just one of these :( what I meant was you can still play while it is charging.

I was strictly answering the recharging question at the time (I have a wireless adapter so I did know :))

marco_polo wrote: »
    Apologies I hadn't meant my post to imply that it was possible to play with just one of these:( I was strictly answering the recharging question at the time (I have a wireless adapter so I did know :))

Ah. Sure its no worries, borrowed it from one of my friends. Gonna head into gamestop tomorrow in Cork and see if they have the thing, otherwise Amazon it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows & Wireless Gaming Receiver combo: [Link]

Price has been as low as £25stg with free 'Super Saver' delivery.

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0

Seem a good price for both items when there are claims, on amazon, that the standalone (Microsoft branded) receivers are actually 3rd-party knock offs. [Link]

When my wireless gaming receiver (the dongle) stopped working I was tempted to buy another. I ended up getting a wired controller (even though I have a bunch of wireless 360 pads) as I've heard the receiver's fuse has a propensity towards blowing. The fuse itself is tiny and difficult to replace (some people simply bypass the fuse to get the dongle working).

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I use a wireless 360 controllers, no fiddling, just install the driver for the wireless receiver and the games pick it up like magic.
    Also, many steam games have a command if they don't pick it up "exec 360controller" in the developer console (valve games).

still need to buy the wireless receiver tho - so a bit of hassle compared to wired option...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

I have the X360 wired controller for PC. While the controller itself is fine, if I was buying a controller now, I'd try to get a wireless option. I'm finding the cable really annoying after using a wireless controller on consoles for the past 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose it depends on the amount of foot traffic going between controller and PC. For me my PC and tv are in the corner of the room so no real reason for anyone to be passing between me and the tv.

Of course if someone did, I'd get worried since I live alone. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The battery pack is ****ed in my wireless controller so I have to have it wired in at all times anyway. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Was looking for a wired controller last week for my PC. This thread helped me remember that id bought a wireless receiver ages ago but couldnt get it to work! Had a crack at it last night and got it working. Happy days !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

Fnz wrote: »
    Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows & Wireless Gaming Receiver combo: [Link]

When my wireless gaming receiver (the dongle) stopped working I was tempted to buy another. I ended up getting a wired controller (even though I have a bunch of wireless 360 pads) as I've heard the receiver's fuse has a propensity towards blowing. The fuse itself is tiny and difficult to replace (some people simply bypass the fuse to get the dongle working).

good to know about the fuse popping..! my original offical one died suddenly a few years back, and Ive only replaced it with a knockoff one (15e delivered), in the last few months

never that far from the monitor, so a wired one is probably a better idea for someone, but I had an xbox+controllers already, so...

Sorry for the bump..
    fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    a wired one? yes. for wireless one you need an adapter (like this one)

Just wanna get it right before I order. If I buy that^, and have a xbox remote, I'll be play able to play some games on my laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Yes I use the same one at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Fnz wrote: »

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0

Seem a good price for both items when there are claims, on amazon, that the standalone (Microsoft branded) receivers are actually 3rd-party knock offs. [Link]

What is this sorcery? Where did you find those graphs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Grimebox wrote: »
    What is this sorcery? Where did you find those graphs?

Says it in the top right corner of the pic

uk.camelcamelcamel.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Says it in the top right corner of the pic

uk.camelcamelcamel.com

Yep, pretty handy site.

Bumping the thread reminds me... saw a pair of the Wireless Controller & Wireless Gaming Receiver combo packs in PC World, Airside for around €33. Great price for a B&M store.

Advertisement