Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go with 11 days in January?

• 06-01-2013 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Looking for ideas where to go with 11-10days in January.

Would prefer not Ito go as far as France with so little time but would.

So far thinking Wales? Been loads but like it.
    Lake District ...Yorkshire.....England south coast...France Calais to cherbourgh. Maybe even Amsterdam...

Any other suggestions? Our van is slow so can't be too far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Apart from ferry cost, which could be less than going to the UK, why not France.

Just amble around Normandy/Brittany, there are some really beautiful towns line Dinan, Dol de Bretagne, Bayeux, Deauville, Honfleur to name a few. Use their excellent Aires for free which even at this time of year usually have a few others using them so you should have some company at night.

Diesel there is from €1.31 per litre at the moment and you could bring back your supply of wine/beer.

Don't expect a tan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Apart from ferry cost, which could be less than going to the UK, why not France.

Just amble around Normandy/Brittany, there are some really beautiful towns line Dinan, Dol de Bretagne, Bayeux, Deauville, Honfleur to name a few. Use their excellent Aires for free which even at this time of year usually have a few others using them so you should have some company at night.

Diesel there is from €1.31 per litre at the moment and you could bring back your supply of wine/beer.

Don't expect a tan though.

It's a great Idea and one we have been thinking about but the direct ferries don't start until 28th feb for IF and end of march for Brittany. I am really not keen on driving down to Dover/Folkestone again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Celtic Link Ferries operate from Rosslare to Cherbourg all year round, including January, so you can be on the road this week if you wish. Do a google search, all details are on their website. Know loads of people who have used them.

Enjoy. Am very jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

If you're still thinking Wales or Northern U.K. don't forget that they have had a hell of a lot of flooding in those areas, so check very carefully before hand.

Wherever you choose, have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Celtic Link Ferries operate from Rosslare to Cherbourg all year round, including January, so you can be on the road this week if you wish. Do a google search, all details are on their website. Know loads of people who have used them.

Enjoy. Am very jealous.

Yes good suggestion I knew about them but never used them before. Had a quick look and the days the sail are only out be one day at either end so I will see if I can change my holidays in work to match.

Thanks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

.....I always wanted to see the country-side around the 'Last of the Summer Wine' sinice I saw it as a kid.
    Or maybe the area around 'Midsummer Murders' ....

But Jan may not be the best time to see these ....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

650Ginge wrote: »
    Yes good suggestion I knew about them but never used them before. Had a quick look and the days the sail are only out be one day at either end so I will see if I can change my holidays in work to match.

Thanks....

Have a great hol!

Advertisement