Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone worries! :(

Options
  • 06-01-2013 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I got my boyfriend an Apple iPhone 4 for xmas, which was bought of apple directly and then sent out to me. As I already have an iPhone I simply switched it on to make sure it worked and put it in the box until he opened it on 04/01/13. It was perfect and worked 100%, then yesterday on two separate occasions he was playing a game and the phone just switched off, he'd switch ot back on and it'd be fine. Then last night it switched of but not completely the screen was still lit.?! Which we assumed was recovery mode however while in this mode it died. We plugged it into the laptop today to update it but it wouldnt recognise it. So still no phone. Then tonight tried putting it back on and it is just lighting up red and vibrating. Nothing Else? If heard of the red screen of death, what is it?, is this it? what does this mean.? Solutions, advice, the cause of the problem ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

No idea as I've never seen this before...however the good news...you bought it directly from apple so there's no hassle with getting a replacement.

You could try plugging it into a pc and doing a restore via itunes? worth a shot before you send it off.
    take note of the game as well just in case

update: Those are the proximity and ambient light sensors, which are normally visible as deep purple spots in certain lighting conditions, and become easily visible after the phone is immersed in water.
    Is one of these the red light you're talking about? did he drop it in water or spill liquid on it etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I got my boyfriend an Apple iPhone 4 for xmas, which was bought of apple directly and then sent out to me. As I already have an iPhone I simply switched it on to make sure it worked and put it in the box until he opened it on 04/01/13. It was perfect and worked 100%, then yesterday on two separate occasions he was playing a game and the phone just switched off, he'd switch ot back on and it'd be fine. Then last night it switched of but not completely the screen was still lit.?! Which we assumed was recovery mode however while in this mode it died. We plugged it into the laptop today to update it but it wouldnt recognise it. So still no phone. Then tonight tried putting it back on and it is just lighting up red and vibrating. Nothing Else? If heard of the red screen of death, what is it?, is this it? what does this mean.? Solutions, advice, the cause of the problem ??

It's fine, hold down the sleep and home button for 12 seconds and the apple logo will appear and it wil boot up as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ilovesfrxxx

Thank you guys !

-Blazer no it was never in or near water ?!
    -Naasrd, I will try that later, thank you!

Naasrd, tried that there and all Im getting is the Apple symbol but then it goes back to recovery mode.?! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

That happened once with my iphone 4, worrying at the time but it never happened again

• Advertisement

How did you solve the problem!?

I just rebooted the device and it hasn't crashed since. That was about 6/7 months ago

I dont suppose the game was curiosity..

Anyway if you search online for DFU mode that brought my phone back to life

No it was The Walking Dead, thanks ill try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

No it was The Walking Dead, thanks ill try that!

Is there no change when you connect it to your computer? Any options come up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Blazer wrote: »
    update: Those are the proximity and ambient light sensors, which are normally visible as deep purple spots in certain lighting conditions, and become easily visible after the phone is immersed in water.
    Is one of these the red light you're talking about? did he drop it in water or spill liquid on it etc?
    These don't change after water damage:confused:
    The water damage indicators are in the dock connector and headphone socket

OP
    Try using tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.ie

Failing that do as TKO said and put the device in dfu mode and restore in iTunes
    Failing that contact apple, It actually sounds like a dodgy battery to me

These don't change after water damage:confused:
    The water damage indicators are in the dock connector and headphone socket

according to the apple forums the sensors change colour etc if the phone was immersed in water..
    you're correct about everything else though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Blazer wrote: »
    according to the apple forums the sensors change colour etc if the phone was immersed in water..
    you're correct about everything else though :D
    And I'm correct about this :D
    Not the proximity and ambient sensors!
    I've probably seen 200+ water damaged phones over the last 3 years and never once have these changed colour.
    The sensors in the headphone socket and dock connector change from white to red

I'll take your word for it then :D
    I've never seen one :p and hopefully never will..at least not my own ;)

Advertisement