Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 Wi-Fi woes

• 06-01-2013 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

So basically we all know of the issues people are having with Wi-Fi on the iPhone 5 on the latest firmware. So far Apple aren't conceding that it's a hardware issue (Well some reps are, others aren't) but I'm just wondering is it a modem compatibility issue? When I have my iPhone/iPad Mini connected to my connection at home which is UPC standard Cisco set to bridged mode connected to a Netgear WNDR 3400 the connection is rubbish; Apps are slow to download, Wi-Fi isn't stable and constantly switches from 3G to Wi-Fi, it won't recognise my 5GZ signal either sometimes. However, having used Wi-Fi in friends houses my iPhone is perfect and operates effectively.

I'm thinking about either returning the phone to Meteor and asking for a replacement. But is there much point if it's not actually a hardware issue?

Anybody else having problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Part of the problem is that most people never update their router firmware. By the way Apple doesn't issue firmware updates for the iPhone, only operating system updates (iOS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

So basically we all know of the issues people are having with Wi-Fi on the iPhone 5 on the latest firmware. So far Apple aren't conceding that it's a hardware issue (Well some reps are, others aren't) but I'm just wondering is it a modem compatibility issue? When I have my iPhone/iPad Mini connected to my connection at home which is UPC standard Cisco set to bridged mode connected to a Netgear WNDR 3400 the connection is rubbish; Apps are slow to download, Wi-Fi isn't stable and constantly switches from 3G to Wi-Fi, it won't recognise my 5GZ signal either sometimes. However, having used Wi-Fi in friends houses my iPhone is perfect and operates effectively.

I'm thinking about either returning the phone to Meteor and asking for a replacement. But is there much point if it's not actually a hardware issue?

Unfortunately you'll just have to change your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Piliger wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that most people never update their router firmware. By the way Apple doesn't issue firmware updates for the iPhone, only operating system updates (iOS)
    No that is not the problem. My router is fully updated. It's a compatibility issue surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

No idea what you're talking about I'm afraid. What this "So basically we all know etc etc". about? I'd say the problem is your end. There is no iPhone 5 wifi problem, certainly not with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

naasrd wrote: »
    No idea what you're talking about I'm afraid. What this "So basically we all know etc etc". about? I'd say the problem is your end. There is no iPhone 5 wifi problem, certainly not with mine.

you'd want to get out and read more..it's a widespread issue and not iphone 5 related I'd say but ios6.
    I've had the exact same issue on my iphone 4/4s and now iphone 5. All since upgrading to ios6. Even the 6.1 release for the ip5 did sodall for me.
    I've 2 routers...one cisco wag320 and cisco wag120n both are about 1-2 years old and are basically the exact same router apart from the 320N has gigabit nics and usb storage.
    However since ios6 I cannot browse the web on the 320N and have to use the other router. Not an issue really for me but for the normal joe soap with one router? big issue..
    For apple to blame the router companies is bull****..they're want to get their heads out of their asses and fix it asap.

Some people have fixed it by doing a complete restore of their stores, others by setting the proxy to auto and if already on auto setting it to manual.
    Others have fixed theirs by resetting network connections. None of the above have worked for me ...all routers are completely upto date and both are broadcasting identical security and wireless settings.

Here's the thread on ios6 wifi on this forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056805569

I did the below as one guy suggested and it's now working fine..but for how long..some people had the issue reoccur after a few mins

Try going into settings wifi and forget this network then straight away do a soft reset hold the two buttons till the apple logo pops up.
    Then connect to the wifi again worked for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement