Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcam advice

Options
  • 06-01-2013 4:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure where to place this but C&T seemed appropriate.

I am in the middle of moving back to Ireland after being abroad and this, unfortunately means my other half is back there while we organise the move. I suggested she buy a webcam, so we could see each other in realtime. I initially identified a cam which looked ok, and she went to buy it, but on the day, they didnt have it so she got sold a 'similar' cam which was a similar price. Its a logitech facecam and according to the spec has a 1.4 Mega pixel camera.

We skyped the other night and its terrible.It honestly doesnt look much better than the first time I cam chatted with someone over 10 years ago. Her connection is the one I signed up for which is 25Mb down, 3Mb up, which should be significant, and I have a similar one here, so I dont think its a bandwidth issue.

The cam I suggested to her was a HD cam but it still only had about 2 Mega pixels. There is one in Argos, a logitech C270, which is HD and UVC / Linux supported for 25 euro, and it has 3Mega pixels, but I wonder if doubling the number of pixels will really have the sort of impact I am looking for. Is 3 MP enough to actually give HD video?

Money is a bit of an issue right now, so I guess I am asking, would it be worth my time to buy the 25 euro cam in argos and send it to her for clear crisp images, or should I be looking further up the scale for that kind of clarity.

Thanks!

Advertisement