Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar Cllrs Vote Against 50m Pool

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I should add it was FG and SF who voted against it.

Apparently we don't have the population big enough to sustain a 50m pool.

I can't see the decision being changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Very very disappointed that councillors voted NOT to include plans for a 50 metre pool in the plans for the National Outdoor Pursuits Centre. The result was 5 votes to 4. Councillors Barrett, Kilcoyne, Durcan and Gavin voted for the inclusion of a 50 metre facility. We did so to provide a 50 metre facility in Connaught as it is the only province that hasn't one. We did so to attract new business to the town from the growing sport of swimming, triathlon training, kayaking, long distance swimming; and for out elite swimmers in Connaught who have to travel from 4 am in the morning to UL in Limerick to avail of a training facility. The decision shows the poverty of ambition that we have as elected representatives; afraid to build what others have. Same was said of Knock Airport, but politicians took the bold decision to build it.....different times, different times.

He has a point!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The Town Manager's report looked convincing.

I wonder if the physical structure could be made large enough to install larger pool if such investment becomes available

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please support the campaign to get the decision changed
    So do your best to convince us.
    What have you besides a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

nuac wrote: »
    The Town Manager's report looked convincing.

I wonder if the physical structure could be made large enough to install larger pool if such investment becomes available

Have you a link to this report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The capital investment for this could be secured handily enough. The real issue may be the on going operation and maintenance of such a facility.

At 50m the operating costs will be significant (possibly double that of a 25m pool?) which is going to prove very difficult for the council to sustain over time.

IMO, 25m is a sensible option in the current environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I remember seeing drawings for a new swimming pool on the notice board of the existing pool in Castlebar in the late 80's. If anything is built at all in the next 3 years and not just new promises from people looking to get votes I'll be surprised. I've heard to many broken promises from all parties to last me a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

jenno86 wrote: »
    Have you a link to this report?

No, but summarised in Connaugnt Tel a few weeks ago

Advertisement