Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go to Australia or not?

Options
  • 06-01-2013 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Not sure if this post is in the right place or not, sorry if its not

I am a 20 year old workin in dublin, the job im in now is not great to say the least.. my mother has said she will help with the money side of things so thats grand. i would just like some advice from ppl about the job scene over there, like is it difficult to find work? also, i would be going on my own, is that wise and would it be difficult to meet new ppl..and also ideas on where to go...sydney?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you don't see youself in the same job you are in now in 10 years go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

xbox360MAD wrote: »
    Not sure if this post is in the right place or not, sorry if its not

I am a 20 year old workin in dublin, the job im in now is not great to say the least.. my mother has said she will help with the money side of things so thats grand. i would just like some advice from ppl about the job scene over there, like is it difficult to find work? also, i would be going on my own, is that wise and would it be difficult to meet new ppl..and also ideas on where to go...sydney?

Thanks in advance :D

Do you have a trade? Do you have a degree? What type of work do you do? How long have you been at the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 xbox360MAD

no trade, no degree, and i work in maccers...so no i dont see myself there in 10 years haha

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Depends what you are looking for to be honest. If you are coming to Australia to travel around and see the place, meet new people, do a bit of work to supplement travel and enjoy yourself for a year or two then go for it.

If you are coming over here with no quailifications, experience or trade of any kind and expect to walk into a well paying job, get sponosered and set up a new life on a WHV you are dreaming. From my experience even with the degree and experience you have to work your ass off to get into a company and it is entirely dependant on how your industry is performing.

Also be aware that although $40,000 seems like a decent wage in comparison to Ireland the cost of living in Australia is a LOT higher.

My advice - Save as much as possible at home (because traveling is expensive), plan what you want to do and see and go for it. You can travel round Australia for two years (if you do regional work) picking up odd jobs to help you along the way, meet a ton of people and gain a bit of life experience. Beats working at Maccers back at home in my opinion!

thanks for the advice :)...would you say it would be difficult doing it by yourself, i was thinking about mining aswell..do you have any insight on that, i heard its good money and plenty of jobs..is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

thanks for the advice :)...would you say it would be difficult doing it by yourself, i was thinking about mining aswell..do you have any insight on that, i heard its good money and plenty of jobs..is that true?
    There's a queue of aussies trying to get into mining so unless you've got really good contacts then I doubt you'll get in. I'm not saying it's impossible but without residency it would be difficult. There are catering companies in mines you could try, they might have short term contracts.
    You're 20, go on the working holiday, do the two years and if you're still not ready to return to Ireland go to New Zealand for another two years. There's plenty of Irish over here to talk to if you feel homesick. A few years in the sun could change how you see the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Go for the year or 2. You'll meet loads in hostels. Stop in Asia on the way, more solo backpackers around so get you used to meeting new people by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

People travel alone all the time. You will without doubt meet people doing the same thing in hostels and and shared accomodation. Just have to be willing to put yourself out there and meet new people.

Every paddy and his dog has heard that you can get into the mines over here and make $100,000 a month. I can give no insight into this industry as I have no experience with it however I would imagine it is similar to any other industry - I.e. why would someone employ you in a field where you have no experience? In addition why would a company spend their own money on training you whilst you are on a contract that by law can only last 6 months. Further to that there is bound to be an Australian with no experience that they can employ and will not have to sponsor. Food for thought.

There has been plenty of discussion on this forum in the past on the mining topic so have a search through and see what you find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

leave your xbox at home in Dublin and off you go to OZ.
    You are only 20 so i guess no mortgage and no wife (or husband) , if you don't find work or don't like it down under then come back.
    Don't wait to be old with mortgage and kids ( :D ) to do this !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Keep in mind though that if you do think you'd like to go to college at any stage now would probably be the best time to do it.

I know a friend of mine had planned on going back to college after being away but when he came home the rules had either changed, or he didn't know, but he wasn't eligible for a grant as he'd been out of the country for 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I would wait a few years.

Get yourself some kind of qualification, experience etc.

Your only 20 and you only get one chance at OZ, no second holiday working Visa I think?

I had a few friends your age and a little older go there and they are kicking themselves that they went so young.

They are late 20's/30's now with on job experience, young families and need jobs.

Thank to everyone for the advice...i think im gonna go for it, ive tried college twice already over here and it wasnt for me, well not at the moment anyway..think i need a bit of life experience to get my life in order, no better place for a life experience the oz ey? Anyone who has any advice on jobs would be greatly appricated, or even where to go in oz, wanna sort me life out!
    ....p.s ill take any job offers going to :D haha

Thanks again everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

If you want to go for the experience and all that then going on the whv for two years is just the ticket. If you're looking for something more permanent then unfortunately without a qualification or at least five years experience in a skilled field you won't have much luck.

Advertisement