Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Surely not needing batteries for the controller is a major plus. Changing them on the 360 looks like a right pain in the arse.

TBH my biggest issue with the 360 controller wasn't the batteries but the battery pack. It was massive and my fingers kept bumping into it. The Xbone controller seems to have gotten rid of that though so it's not too bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Surely not needing batteries for the controller is a major plus. Changing them on the 360 looks like a right pain in the arse.

it's not at all, the batteries are either always charged or they die...exactly the same as having in-built batteries like the ds3. The difference there of course is that if they die you swap batteries, on the ds3 you'd have to plug in and play wired until you'd charged enough...not a major issue on either side IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

You don't need batteries for the xbox one controllers either, fairly moot point anyway since you can get a rechargable battery pack for the 360 controller for a few quid.

The main thing pushing me towards ps4 is what the indie devs have been saying, I think it was the DayZ guy who said his game would more then likely never come to xbox one because MS were charging $10,000 every time a dev wanted to patch their game. I don't play a huge amount of indie games but stuff like that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Are the F2P games gonna be on xbox one? I'm really looking forward to planetside 2 on the ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

EGriff wrote: »

Are the F2P games gonna be on xbox one? I'm really looking forward to planetside 2 on the ps4.

Yes, but not as many, nor near the quality of PS4 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Otacon wrote: »
    You need PS+ for playing online games.
    No backwards compatibility currently.
    A 500GB HDD will NOT be enough once PS+ access is a few months old!

Yep, those are the current negatives and even if it's crap you need to pay for online gaming on some games you make it all back and it's great value, which I can't day the same about xbox live -but even that is improving slightly.

Sony has really done well this time and any con that there was between the PS3 and 360 has been smoothed over.

Since Microsoft's policy reversal the xbox has gotten a lot more competitive, but if you compare them there's not one area where the X1 beats out the PS4.

Hardware, the amount and variety of exclusives, ps+, price, no need for proprietary headsets/devices, etc all go to the PS4.

Even the large majority of TV features that Microsoft are pushing will be on PS4 with the rest being exclusive to America, for now at least.

• Advertisement

it's not at all, the batteries are either always charged or they die...exactly the same as having in-built batteries like the ds3. The difference there of course is that if they die you swap batteries, on the ds3 you'd have to plug in and play wired until you'd charged enough...not a major issue on either side IMO.

Saves you money and convenience if your battery dies in your PS3 controller and you just plug in a USB wire and you're good to go with no added cost involved. My gripe was that the play and go packs for the xbox were more expensive than the charging dock which you couldn't play and charge at the same time, don't know if it's changed since then, but it was a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

EGriff wrote: »
    F2P seems to be something that MS are looking at alright, certainly more so than they did on the 360. While you won't see Planetside 2 or DC Universe Online on the XBox One, due to the fact that they're Sony properties, I'd imagine there'll be some announced soon.

The other two F2P games announced for the PS4 so far, Blacklight Retribution and Warframe, are self-published efforts so again, unless MS change their policy there you won't see them outside the PS4/PC either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Any xbox battery pack that I've used gave out after about 5-6 uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm a PS3 owner with a PS+ sub so I know all about the PS3. Was just wondering.

The main selling point of the PS3 to me over 360 was a wider variety of games and it looks like it may be the same next gen as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I might be doing it wrong, but my rechargeable batteries always die if they're not used for a day or two. i.e. if I play for a few hours tonight with the controller plugged in they'll be fully charged, but then if I go back on Sunday they'll be fully drained and I'll need to plug the controller in again. I basically always have to have the controller plugged in.

With the DS3 I can go back to it after a month or two and there'll still be tons of charge.

With that said, I still prefer the Xbox controller, but if Sony can make the DS4 as good to use and still maintain the battery advantage that will put them far ahead in the controller stakes IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Beefy78

stevenmu wrote: »
    I might be doing it wrong, but my rechargeable batteries always die if they're not used for a day or two. i.e. if I play for a few hours tonight with the controller plugged in they'll be fully charged, but then if I go back on Sunday they'll be fully drained and I'll need to plug the controller in again. I basically always have to have the controller plugged in.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. If we ever went round for an impromptu FIFA session on a friend's 360 he'd always have to spend the first ten minutes arsing around trying to get the controllers working whereas if we played on my PS3 the controllers are usually good to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have no such problems, my batteries last feckin ages and i usually have a spare insert ready to go for when they die after lots of use...i guess that's why batteries are a non issue for me, as there really hasn't been any issue in my usage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Another + for the PS4, internal PSU....no massive external brick like the X1, upgradable HDD....you could pop in the new 1.5TB drive if you wanted, the X1 cant be upgraded but you can connect an external/portable HDD.

But MS have still not said if you can install games to an external HDD or if its just for stroing music/movies.

PS4 in volume is 50% smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

someone mentioned the Xbone power brick before. Japanese are great at making a product you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Microsoft= Software company
    Sony= Hardware Company

Clear difference. I love Sony products as i believe they are very well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

aindriu80 wrote: »
    someone mentioned the Xbone power brick before. Japanese are great at making a product you want.
    what about nintendo :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

link

'NeoGAF member Cyborg posted the picture below from a Media Markt store in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It pinpoints the release date for the console as November 13, 2013. Others in the thread point to European online outlets that also have the date pegged for November 13, 2013.'

would be cool if Europe got it before US :) (not likely i know)

But MS have still not said if you can install games to an external HDD or if its just for stroing music/movies
    They have confirmed since that you can install games, or do anything you can with the internal HDD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

They have confirmed since that you can install games, or do anything you can with the internal HDD.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Source?

You still need to install the game but you now need the disc in it to run now.

Whatever happens to DRM they won't be able to suddenly move from full installs to running everything off a slower optical disc.

• Advertisement

Source?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive/
    but Penello confirmed that the USB 3.0 port is there for external storage, which can be used for everything the internal storage can be used for. That includes game installs and downloads.

You could argue that swapping an internal drive is better, it's neater etc, but you could also argue external is better for cheaper storage and making it easier to swap at any time. It's down to preference really and IMO it's not a dealbreaker either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

You could argue that swapping an internal drive is better, it's neater etc, but you could also argue external is better for cheaper storage and making it easier to swap at any time. It's down to preference really and IMO it's not a dealbreaker either way.

Swapping drives will be much better if they've changed it to work like a PC instead of like the terrible way it is on the PS3. Although it would mean needing to keep an updated OS on all the drives you wanted to use.

On a side note anyone know what format type Sony are going to use for the HDD?

link

That is hilarious.

One more reason to get PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

So, if I pre-ordered a PS4 from GameStop Today would I be guaranteed it for launch? cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

198321 wrote: »
    link

That is hilarious.

One more reason to get PS4.

You're a bit late. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

nocoverart wrote: »
    So, if I pre-ordered a PS4 from GameStop Today would I be guaranteed it for launch? cheers!

No one can know, if you are #1 on their list then you almost certainly get one but if you're #100 the who knows.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive/

Yeah, for the price of a 1.5TB 2.5" drive you could probably get a 3TB or 4TB external desktop drive for the same price that would be quicker. Hell, you can get a 2TB portable drive for about €120 that would still be quite neat if that is something that is important.

Varik wrote: »
    No one can know, if you are #1 on their list then you almost certainly get one but if you're #100 the who knows.

This is confusing me a bit, some people are saying if you're #1 on the list you're guaranteed it from gamestop, but then some are saying it's first come first served with position on the list not mattering. I've heard the same about smyths where I put in my pre-order.

Can anybody clear that up?

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    This is confusing me a bit, some people are saying if you're #1 on the list you're guaranteed it from gamestop, but then some are saying it's first come first served with position on the list not mattering. I've heard the same about smyths where I put in my pre-order.

I got email from Xtra-vision at 17:13 today saying:

Pre-order your PlayStation 4 or XBox One at Xtra-vision now for our new special price of €10/£10 and guarantee your console on day one! Don’t get left behind the pack! Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles will be in short supply ! So get down to your local Xtra-vision this weekend and secure yours on day of launch for just €10/£10.

I assume that means you do get one on day one. If somebody does not I think they will be very angry.

Thats xtravision anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

TNT2k_ wrote: »

Asked about it in my gamestop in town and they said it goes by the list they have and that they would call you the week of the launch to see if you will be paying it off on the day, those that do not have the money will be bumped down the list. But if they only get 20 consoles in on the launch day, then you better hope you ordered early, the list in town was over the 30 mark in march.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement