Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

mozattack wrote: »
    Anyone agree that the move from PS3 to PS4 is a lesser jump than PS1 to PS2, PS2 to PS3 etc?

In other words, unless you have an eye on a game (e.g. BF4) why the excitement?

The games coming out at the end of the PS2 lifecycle looked quite good compared to those at the start of the PS3 one.

I think we will see the same here for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Otacon wrote: »
    The games coming out at the end of the PS2 lifecycle looked quite good compared to those at the start of the PS3 one.

I think we will see the same here for a year or two.

Exactly, compare Oblivion to Skyrim for instance. Oblivion looks pretty dog ugly by todays standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yeah Final Fantasy 12 looked as though it could of been on the PS3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Anyone agree that the move from PS3 to PS4 is a lesser jump than PS1 to PS2, PS2 to PS3 etc?

In other words, unless you have an eye on a game (e.g. BF4) why the excitement?

The PS1 gen was probably the biggest jump forward follewed by the PS2 gen.

If you look back at the PS1 you would think by now computer graphics would look like reality but we are still nowhere near that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the PS1 was one of the biggest revolutions in gaming as we went from mostly 2D games to mostly 3D

The PS2 continued that but the big seller for it was that it was also a very good DVD player (DVD players were very expensive when the PS2 came out).

The PS3 continued to improve on graphics, but a big seller for it was that it was also a BluRay player (at the time BD players were almost as expensive as the PS3).

PS4 will continue the development of improving graphics, but on the face of it, it doesn't seem to have a killer selling point like DVD/BD functionality.

But I think that may end up being too simplistic a view, the future of TV entertainment is Video On Demand services like Netflix, RTE Player, BBC Player, Sky Go, Amazon On Demand, Spotfiy, Flikr, etc.

I think the PS4 could turn out to be an incredibly powerful platform for such services, in particular with it's offline updating, fast switching OS and no subscription required for such services. I think the PS4 could quietly become the center of peoples entertainment world.

All while giving us the best gaming graphics possible.

I really get the feeling that the PS4 while on the face of it not being as exciting as the PS2, could end up being a real entertainment revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

PSN down tomorrow.

From PlayStationEU's twitter
    PSN maintenance scheduled tomorrow, starting at 5.30pm BST/6.30pm CET. Details here: http://bit.ly/1a78tbm

Can't access the blog from work so don't know the details

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CastorTroy wrote: »
    PSN down tomorrow.

From PlayStationEU's twitter

Can't access the blog from work so don't know the details
    In order to continue bringing you the best online games experience on PSN, we will perform routine maintenance beginning the afternoon of Tuesday 25th June. This maintenance will start at approximately 5.30pm BST/6.30pm CET and will last until around midnight BST/1.00am CET. During the maintenance period, you may receive a maintenance notification when attempting to access PSN.
    The PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home and Account Management will not be available during the maintenance period but you will be able to access online play and apps provided that you have signed in to the Network at some point between now and the time of the maintenance. So please be sure to sign in now if you wish to access the PlayStation Network during Tuesday’s maintenance window.
    We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your support.

There it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Saves you money and convenience if your battery dies in your PS3 controller and you just plug in a USB wire and you're good to go with no added cost involved. My gripe was that the play and go packs for the xbox were more expensive than the charging dock which you couldn't play and charge at the same time, don't know if it's changed since then, but it was a nuisance.

I prefer the PS method rather than the Xbone too. I never ran out of battery power with the PS3, and being able to charge when the console is off, means that it won't even run low.

A few things that aren't make or break, but given the option I'd go with Sony's way of doing it.
    Power brick internal. Not make or break, but given the option, I'd rather it internal. I've enough cable behind the tv without a power brick.
    Controller batteries. again, not make or break, but I prefer the idea of just plugging it in with a USB and not having to have a charge kit.
    Console size: not a big deal, but i'd rather small. One thing I couldn't care less about is what the thing actually looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Xenji wrote: »
    There it is.

Thanks. And I just realised I posted in here instead of the Troubleshooting thread where I meant to post it. Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The step to the next gen consoles is not as huge as it was in previous generations but there is still a huge void in games.
    I watched a lot of Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 on PC and it looks way better and gameplay looks easier. I hope the PS4 will act and perform along lines of what the PC is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

There is more new IP coming for the PS4 at GamesCon in August
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416010/sony-holding-back-new-ps4-titles-for-gamescom/
    .......30 games in development. 20 are going to ship within the first year of the console's life and of those 12 are new IPs, so there's a lot going on, it's just that we need to keep stuff back. We've got Gamescom for us Europeans and we need something to show at Gamescom.".....

Looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

aindriu80 wrote: »
    There is more new IP coming for the PS4 at GamesCon in August
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416010/sony-holding-back-new-ps4-titles-for-gamescom/

Looking forward to it :D
    Looks like PS4 will continue the trend when it comes to destroying the Xbox One with exclusives. I think Microsoft have played their hand tbh and anything they have left over will be focused on kinect casual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just preordered. Gamestop said I was guaranteed a console on launch day. Hesitant about that, but then I guess why else preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

miralize wrote: »
    Just preordered. Gamestop said I was guaranteed a console on launch day. Hesitant about that, but then I guess why else preorder.

I pre-ordered from Gamestop on Saturday. Asked whether I was guaranteed a console on launch and was told no, that it would depend on whether Sony can step up their manufacturing by then cos of the US. Won't mind too much if I miss out on launch as long as I don't have to wait too long to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Does anyone know if skygo will be available on the PS4?

They have not announced any support yet but that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Is it available on the PS3 if so how do I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Anyone know when they will show BF4 multiplayer on PS4? This is very important

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭lertsnim

padair wrote: »
    Is it available on the PS3 if so how do I get it.

It's not available on the Playstation 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone know when they will show BF4 multiplayer on PS4? This is very important

vids on youtube for that....showed at E3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

miralize wrote: »

Mind if I ask which one and how much the pre order was? Parkway is more convenient and theyre usually good for pre orders but I know they can vary a bit.

(Assuming by your location that you're in Limerick, ignore if you're not :P )

Also, has there been anything about the Eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

vids on youtube for that....showed at E3

Thought that was only PC multiplayer footage and/or Xbox One footage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

TheGunns wrote: »
    Mind if I ask which one and how much the pre order was? Parkway is more convenient and theyre usually good for pre orders but I know they can vary a bit.

(Assuming by your location that you're in Limerick, ignore if you're not :P )

Also, has there been anything about the Eye?

The one in the crescent. Minimum amount was 20, but they said you can just keep paying or wait for the launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Pretty sure they only showed PC footage at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

They use PC with the suppose specs of the machine they said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Well a PS4 dev kit is just a PC with PS4 components. What box its in doesn't matter.

What you will get with your PS4 purchase:

W6DjEor.jpg

No mess, no fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I'd hate to have the job of neatly tying up all those wires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

W6DjEor.jpg

No mess, no fuss

I still miss the demo discs youd get with PS1 and 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

W6DjEor.jpg

No mess, no fuss

Thought the stand and headset were addons, ie not in the box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement