Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Scylla wrote: »
    On the teaser trailer before they showed the console there was a roundy bit, about 12 secs in here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWwxbVGbpg

What was it? Theres definitely no roundy bit on the PS4.

It was the speaker of the headset. It threw everybody off!

Even the guys who tried to make the mockups got caught out
    PS4-concept-design.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    It was the speaker of the headset. It threw everybody off!

Ah those bastards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

i am gonna guess you can switch that blue LED on the console off in the system settings.

I'll switch it on and snoop all the menus and system options, i love the system settings menu....seeing what options they have.

But mainly i wanna see how the default firmware looks and then my next step is to update to the latest build, and compare the two.

After the update is done i'll snoop around again and begin entering my account details etc. I doubt i'll even game on the first night.

31083_02_box_art_for_next_gen_xbox_one_and_ps4_has_been_released.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

you're a wild one :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I do have a Turtle Beach set so that is great news. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I doubt the headset will be any good tbh, if youve ever tried phoning someone with one of those apple earphone/mics plugged into the phone, the sound quality is piss poor.
    Il stick to my stereo pair.

I use the apple headphones as a mic for calls the whole time and find it grand.
    It's not like you'll have the game audio coming through. Just the voice chat and for that it'll be perfectly fine.

Glad to hear turtle beach headsets will probably work. ave a set of PX-5s and love 'em. Hadn't used them in a while but they're fantastic for the last of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

one thing I don't think you get is the stand that allows the PS4 to stand on its side. I see it in the picture above posted but it was extra for the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'll switch it on and snoop all the menus and system options, i love the system settings menu....seeing what options they have.

But mainly i wanna see how the default firmware looks and then my next step is to update to the latest build, and compare the two.

31083_02_box_art_for_next_gen_xbox_one_and_ps4_has_been_released.jpg

ill be having a good look at the menus and setting too before i insert a game. im excited to mess around on the menus to be honest :P

aindriu80 wrote: »
    one thing I don't think you get is the stand that allows the PS4 to stand on its side. I see it in the picture above posted but it was extra for the PS3.

15 quid i bet for it :rolleyes:

YES!.....i am getting this! :D , if it sells for 500 it is a great deal!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/27/the-picture-of-the-ps4-bundle-with-the-camera-and-knack-is-officially-from-sony-and-theres-more/

New-PlayStation-4-Bundle-Leaks-Includes-PS4-Camera-and-Knack.jpg?1372322896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

I have a preorder with amazon but am unsure of getting the console on launch day so I rang Xtravision (Stillorgan) last night about placing a preorder with them instead. The guy there said that the Stillorgan branch wasn't taking them as that branch will close in a few weeks and that he wouldn't be too sure about putting a deposit down with any of the other shops either because of their financial situation (in spite of the buyout).
    Seems that the only other solutions are Smyths and Gamestop right? Smyths probably being the safest bet? Or do people thing Amazon will actually get consoles delivered on launch day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No, Amazon will not ship a PS4 to Ireland for launch day, only for UK orders with express delivery. Gamestop and Smyths are the only hopes for a launch day PS4.

Ok I'll make a few calls and see where will guarantee me a launch console then. Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Issac wrote: »
    Ok I'll make a few calls and see where will guarantee me a launch console then. Thanks!

March called, says hi. o/

F1ngers wrote: »
    March called, says hi. o/

I prebooked on Amazon weeks ago, thinking I'd get it on launch day but after some reading it appears there's a high chance I won't. We'll see how things work out. I've plenty of PS3 games to keep me occupied if I can't get it day 1 anyway.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Are people serious when they say some stores might only get 20 consoles? I think that's a crazy low number tbh. I'd image at least the relatively big stores like smyths and gamestop would get a few hundred. Maybe I'm wrong, but you'd think Ireland would get something like 50-100k units (factoring in how small we are). That sounds like a more reasonable figure to me if that were to happen.

They've already said that demand may well exceed supply, so ramp it up Sony! If Apple can manufacture 10million+ iPhones for launch what's stopping them from making 3-4 million, or more, for a successful global launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

An epic post on NeoGaf from guch20 about how Mark Cerny took over from Ken Kutaragi
    guch20 wrote:
    Ken Kutaragi sat alone in his luxurious office, feet propped on his massive oak desk, and sipped Henri IV Dudognon Heritage cognac from a fine etched crystal snifter. He had put in a long day of ****ing up Sony's PR campaign for their new PlayStation 3 console, and he deserved a break. The building was mostly empty, save for some janitors and a few kiss-asses putting in extra hours in a vain attempt to be noticed when an executive position opened up. Susan, his eager and naive young receptionist was one such ass kisser. "Maybe if she ever puts her mouth to better use than just answering the damn phones," he chuckled to himself.

The door to his top-floor office burst open suddenly and he nearly spilled his drink. Charging toward him was Mark Cerny, a bright young programmer working somewhere in the company on game development or some such nonsense. Ken was too busy driving the bus off the cliff to pay attention to what the passengers were doing.

Ken stood to meet his visitor, but before he could react, Cerny had him by the throat. "You ****ed up, Ken," he spat between gritted teeth. His breath reeked of cigarette smoke and rage. "The PS3 is a ****ing mess. Developers can't get the damn thing to work right and the price is too goddamn high."

Ken wriggled beneath Cerny's iron grip, sweat pouring down his brow. He managed a wry smile, attempting to show a confidence instantly betrayed by his trembling lips. "People w-will work a second job to--"

Cerny's free hand swept through the open air and connected with a smack across Ken's face, his wirey frame giving no indication of the strength within him. "No more bull****, Ken."

Ken swallowed hard. Fire burned behind Cerny's eye, and Ken knew he meant business. "Mark," he choked, "you don't know people the way I do. They'll happily pay whatever price we set. We're Sony, for ****'s sake. People trust us because people are idi--"

Before he could close his mouth, Cerny jammed the end of a pistol into it. "Be real ****ing careful about the next words you speak."

He stared into the endless black of Cerny's dilated pupils. The only sounds in the room were those of his heart pounding and his teeth chattering against the gun's muzzle. Cerny was right to be angry and there was nothing he could say to fix what he had done. So he started to cry. Cerny relaxed his grip and holstered his gun. "Get out of here," he said.

"You want me to leave my own office?" Ken asked, still sobbing.

Cerny took the open bottle of cognac from Ken's desk and shot back a slug. "No Ken," he grinned, "I want you out of my office."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Are people serious when they say some stores might only get 20 consoles? I think that's a crazy low number tbh. I'd image at least the relatively big stores like smyths and gamestop would get a few hundred. Maybe I'm wrong, but you'd think Ireland would get something like 50-100k units (factoring in how small we are). That sounds like a more reasonable figure to me if that were to happen.

They've already said that demand may well exceed supply, so ramp it up Sony! If Apple can manufacture 10million+ iPhones for launch what's stopping them from making 3-4 million, or more, for a successful global launch?

And we believe it (few consoles per shop), because it is on internet, it must be true ..

I'm sure Sony doesn't know how many consoles they will have ready at the moment, they still work on release date, however Sony in India said that console will lunch in India this year. I am certain they are not going to let US and Europe without console for christmas just so guys in India have it. They are not stupid, if I won't get PS4 within 2 weeks of start of sale I might go and buy Xbox one, and Sony knows that.

I think xbox one is great, lower specs - still same game as on PS4 are going to be on it for next 10 years and higher price ..100 euro isn't that much. I preordered PS4 but if they will let me wait few weeks for it I'll be happy to go and buy xbox one (I am sure they are not going to sell out quickly)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I know I shouldn't be so excited for this console, cos overhype is always a bad thing but... I am excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would say that Gamestop will get around 100-200 per store depending on the area and the same with Smyths. You have what 40 Gamestops and 24 Smyths, so really you would only have between 6400 and 12800 consoles available on launch day and I would assume that final number will be at the lower end of the spectrum.

• Advertisement

Just spoke to my local Gamestop and they will guarantee me a console on launch if I put on a deposit.

They have a pretty good trade in offer as well for anyone looking to get rid of their super slim PS3 as well.

Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and get PS4 for €250
    Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and 2 games from €9.99 list and get PS4 for €190
    Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and 4 games from €9.99 list and get the PS4 for €140

Not that I think it'd be wise to trade in your PS3 for quite a while to come but nice to have a decent option.

Just spoke to my local Gamestop and they will guarantee me a console on launch if I put on a deposit.

They have a pretty good trade in offer as well for anyone looking to get rid of their super slim PS3 as well.

Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and get PS4 for €250
    Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and 2 games from €9.99 list and get PS4 for €190
    Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and 4 games from €9.99 list and get the PS4 for €140

Not that I think it'd be wise to trade in your PS3 for quite a while to come but nice to have a decent option.

With Gamestop and we have been through this yesterday, you pay a deposit and you get on the list, but if you are 51st on the list and they only get 50 in, then you will not get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I don't think even Sony would be able to guarantee anyone a console at this point.

Xenji wrote: »
    With Gamestop and we have been through this yesterday, you pay a deposit and you get on the list, but if you are 51st on the list and they only get 50 in, then you will not get one.

I read through yesterdays posts and don't see that anywhere?
    I'm just letting people know what the guy in Gamestop told me, here's how that section of the conversation went:

Me: "Am I guaranteed a console on launch day if I put down a deposit with you today?"
    Gamestop employee: "Yes"

He surely couldn't say that without being able to come up with the goods?

I'm just letting people know what the guy in Gamestop told me, here's how that section of the conversation went:

Me: "Am I guaranteed a console on launch day if I put down a deposit with you today?"

Look through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969630&page=16

Yeah he can actually, as they do not know how many they are gonna get in, they will keep taking pre-orders till they know exactly how many they are getting and then will go by the list, they have been taking them since February, like I said they only get 50 in, the first 50 on the list get the console, the others will have to wait till more stock comes in.

Look through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969630&page=16

Yeah he can actually, as they do not know how many they are gonna get in, they will keep taking pre-orders till they know exactly how many they are getting and then will go by the list, they have been taking them since February, like I said they only get 50 in, the first 50 on the list get the console, the others will have to wait till more stock comes in.

Just found that thread now. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Do you really think that a lad on minimum wage gives a ****? He just says so, so you would just put deposit and feck off.
    I am 100% ready for ps4 shortage on launch. I will be outside gamestop early before release and try to be one of the first ones in line. My one going to be fully played out before launch and I am not that low on a list.
    In the end of the day it's going to be first come first serve ( for preordered ) customers.

Do you really think that a lad on minimum wage gives a ****? He just says so, so you would just put deposit and feck off.
    I am 100% ready for ps4 shortage on launch. I will be outside gamestop early before release and try to be one of the first ones in line. My one going to be fully played out before launch and I am not that low on a list.
    In the end of the day it's going to be first come first serve ( for preordered ) customers.

Call your Gamestop and see if it is first come first serve as other peoples are going by the list, glad mine is the only one in the county, but in bigger cities I say it will be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Think I'm gonna preorder with Amazon and hope for the best for it to arrive on time. Less hassle and can always cancel before release without losing the deposit.

No doubt if it doesn't come near release there will be tears :P

EDIT: It's actually about 20 euro more expensive I think, toughie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Call your Gamestop and see if it is first come first serve as other peoples are going by the list, glad mine is the only one in the county, but in bigger cities I say it will be a nightmare.

Well, I am not worried at all. I am 12th on a list, but Lads know me very well. I bribed manager already, he goes for his lunch roll to the place where misses shadowhearth works. He is getting a extra love in his rolls! :D
    I know lads since I moved in Ireland. I got my psp, 2xXbox 360, Wii, Ps3, 3ds, 3ds xl and majority of games on launch from them. They are keeping me one on launch. I will be on midnight release too anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement