Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

think its a time for a colour other than black as standard?

ive white and red controllers. when i use a black one, it just looks so ancient and ugly comapred to my white and red ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Equium wrote: »
    Am I the only one who prefers the standard PS2/PS3 controller to the XBox one? Everything about it is more comfortable.

I find it adequate, but I do prefer the 360 pad.

Might be just my hands, but I find it more comfortable to hold and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Am I the only one who prefers the standard PS2/PS3 controller to the XBox one? Everything about it is more comfortable.

I too prefer the PS3 layout, that being said, I like that the new pad seem slightly bulkier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No you're definitely not the only one. I can't stand the lay-out of the XBox controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

As long as they don't change the position of the D-pad on the controller I'll be happy, FIFA is my main game and I have to use D-pad for it, I found it very frustrating to use on the Xbox controller in a lower position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

IGN's report on the leaked controller picture;
    Important Update: A trusted source has told IGN that this controller is real. However, our source notes that it's an early prototype. The controller, in other words, is likely to change between now and when the console launches.
    Update: Another source has told IGN that the mysterious space in the middle of the controller can be pressed like a button, something Kotaku's source has also stated. Our separate source also indicates that the R2 and L2 buttons may actually be more in line with spring-loaded Xbox 360-like triggers and that the light atop the controller is indeed a PlayStation Move sensor.

ps4controller.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They say that button on the left of the touchpad is the possible share button. Would it not just be the select button, since there's a button about the same place on the right?

Of course, how many games actually use the select button?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Having that touchpad blank like that (Or probably with logos etc in the final product) is a huge missed opportunity I think. It looks nicely positioned and the right size to have a small, low-rez screen under it. I'm not talking about the Wii-U tablet or anything but it would be ideal to have a small touch-screen that could display 2 or 3 game-specific buttons: An inventory/special action button for third-person games like Uncharted, squad positioning for squad-based FPS games. But, potentially handiest of all: User mappable buttons for spells/inventory/items etc for MMORPGs. Let's face it, consoles never really had a big impact on MMOPRGs partially because of the limited controller options and MMORPGs are potentially a HUGE ongoing revenue stream for consoles. Think of your Knights of the old republic (Or whatever the Starwars one is) or WoW or any number of titles like this with regular monthly income to Sony/the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Also looks like there is a another button directly opposite the "share" button, or maybe my eyes are playing tricks with me

Benzino wrote: »
    Also looks like there is a another button directly opposite the "share" button, or maybe my eyes are playing tricks with me

That's why I was saying the "share" button could just be the select button and the other one the start button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

picture.php?albumid=1458&pictureid=14599

Otacon wrote: »

The two "buttons" in the top corners of thetrackpad are more than likely start/select or just panels to cover up screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

thatd be a horrible place for a share button. the supposed microphone holes are ugly!..infact, the whole thing is ugly. looks like some cheap 4rd party thing you would buy in argos. im hoping they change...EVERYTHING about this joke of a controller

MarkY91 wrote: »
    thatd be a horrible place for a share button. the supposed microphone holes are ugly!..infact, the whole thing is ugly. looks like some cheap 4rd party thing you would buy in argos. im hoping they change...EVERYTHING about this joke of a controller

Aaaaaaaannnnndddd......

Protoype.

Seriously, this thing is about 8-10 months from reaching market, it is not going to look like that when it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Read somewhere that the port at the bottom could be a headphone jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaannnnndddd......

Protoype.

Seriously, this thing is about 8-10 months from reaching market, it is not going to look like that when it does.

As WolfForager says, it's a prototype. The aesthetic will change. The interesting part though is the functionality will probably stay the same.

As for the Share button, I think its perfect there. When I heard about the button, I held my DS3 and thought where I would put it so that it was accessible but out-of-the-way so I didn't accidentally press it. I chose that location, though a bit closer to the front, like where the little screen is on the one below.

controllers-main_en.png
    sin0city wrote: »
    Read somewhere that the port at the bottom could be a headphone jack.

Hmm. That could be cool actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/v202xq/playstation-4-playstation-meeting-dos-and-don-ts

Pretty funny video on the dos and don'ts for Sony's PC on the 20th.
    Stick around for more cake eating at the end.

Hmm. That could be cool actually.

Yeah, I think it'd be great. At the moment unless you've a wireless headset you've a (in some cases long) cable running from you to the PS3.
    Although Kokatu say there's a headphone jack on the front of the PS4 too although that may be just on the dev kit. In any case I'd be suprised if there's a headphone jacks on the machine and on the controller.

What good is the speaker on the controller though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I swear to God if this close encounter with that meteor this evening disrupts the Feb 20th event, I'll pull all of my hair out. ALL OF IT I TELLS YOU!!!:D

What good is the speaker on the controller though?

To take phone calls during No More Heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Eurogamer have put a bit more weight behind the leaked picture of the prototype controller:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-orbis-dual-shock-4-leak-analysis

One of the comments on that article suggests that speaker might be a mic. That would make a lot more sense. Built in headphone jack and mic would be sweet.

One of the comments on that article suggests that speaker might be a mic. That would make a lot more sense. Built in headphone jack and mic would be sweet.

That is far too big to be a mic, mics are the size of a pinhole now. It's definitely a speaker, but there probably IS a mic somewhere else.

That is far too big to be a mic, mics are the size of a pinhole now. It's definitely a speaker, but there probably IS a mic somewhere else.

True but given it's some distance from your mouth it's possible. Could be a two in one, mic and speaker.

Why you'd want a speaker with tinnie mobile phone style sound though I don't know. It's not like you can use it like the Wii U and play games on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

shuffles03 wrote: »
    A few sites are speculating that Sony will be announcing the successor to the PS3 at the press event 'Destination Playstation' on February 25.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/playstation-4-way

http://www.slashgear.com/playstation-4-release-tipped-by-sony-event-invite-01262742/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/could-sonys-playstation-4-debut-at-destination-playstation-312378

I figure it's probably a long shot but didn't they do something similar with the announcement of the Vita at a separate event? Personally, I think it would make perfect sense to get excitement going now about their new console so that when E3 rolls around they can spend the entire show promoting upcoming games.

Careful now, you make a valid point so don't get banned by the moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Take an existing dual shock controller and add all the new extras, what about the weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

From a different angle.

E1o5L29.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

True but given it's some distance from your mouth it's possible. Could be a two in one, mic and speaker.

Why you'd want a speaker with tinnie mobile phone style sound though I don't know. It's not like you can use it like the Wii U and play games on it.

Id say its a 2-in-1 job....that ugly grill be be toned down, smaller holes and cover less area in the final.

From a different angle.

E1o5L29.jpg

Woah!....that looks SWEET!!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Deffo a headphone jack on the end....but, I wonder if its maybe a combo job?....mic/headphone jack?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement